main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Guys another gentle reminder that this is a Luke thread and that the posts should connect to Luke in some way. ;) Thanks!!!!

I'll be back later to respond to some earlier posts.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  2. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I dunno how recent this pic is of Mark Hamill but it looks like Hamill slim down for Episode 7

[​IMG]

3. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    MasterSkywalker86 :

It definitely did *not*! And even in the very off chance that killing Nelani *would* have saved Luke, Luke would certainly *not* want someone else to be sacrificed for him. Notice that it would have been Jacen who would have been the one to kill Luke if Nelani had lived too. That makes it pretty obvious to me that Nelani would have told Luke about Jacen and Lumiya if she would have lived, and Luke would have tried to go to intervene and would have been killed by Jacen.

But always in motion is the future anyway, so the future wasn't written in stone. Besides, Jacen couldn't possibly have seen all of the possible futures. AND, he could have simply been WRONG. But, of course, Jacen never seemed to think that he COULD be wrong.

EXACTLY, MS!!! And having an author suggest that Luke might have gone dark during the birth of his son was terrible and unfair, in my opinion. The authors never seem to write stories about other characters being tempted with the dark side, but almost every author seems to have to do it with Luke at least once. In my opinion, Leia's temperament would be more realistic for dark side temptations, yet it's never hinted that she might be tempted by the dark. Even when Leia killed Kuellor in hatred and anger in TNR, the dark side was pretty much swept under the rug for her. If had had been Luke who had done that, he likely would have been blasted for it. It's just not fair, in my opinion, especially for a character like Luke who really IS so much in the Light.

Exactly!

Thank you, MS! That is EXACTLY my complaint; exactly what I mean! We don't need to have Luke go through a dark side trial for everything. We don't need to have him prove in every single story that he isn't a Sith; that he is firmly in the Light.

I agree with that. There was nothing wrong with giving the younger characters more meaty roles. It was the fact that the older characters were diminished in order to allow the younger characters to shine that bothered me. As you said, Luke seemed to bear the brunt of it too. This usually extremely active character was portrayed so inaccurately, having Luke sit on the sidelines while the UV were invading the galaxy and killing more and more people. And having him sit by while a bunch of teenagers went to Myrkr and a teenager saved the Jedi kids on Yavin IV was beyond ridiculous, in my opinion.

The older and younger characters should have worked together throughout the series. It would have made sense for the Masters and Apprentices to go on missions together.

Darth_Pevra :
    I'm in complete agreement with you about the power, DP. I do believe that Luke has more Force power than Yoda. I think though that Luke probably still needed to develop and practice his skills. He really didn't have much real life experience to put what he had learned into practice at the time of RotJ. He was definitely a novice with a lightsaber, for example, which made Luke vulnerable when he went to face his father. That said, I think Luke did very well against his father in their duel, even though until Vader threatened his sister, Luke didn't want to fight his father. He wanted to save him instead.

DarthJenari :
    This would be fine, DJ, if the authors would also show this with other Jedi. Unfortunately, they always seem to do this only with Luke, and I think that's wrong and unfair.

MasterSkywalker86 :
    Yes, that's the way I see it too. I would say that Luke is certainly far more powerful and skillful than Yoda now.

More another time

4. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    DarthJenari :
    That part of Truce of Bakura was one definitely of his best moments. It shows just how heroic Luke is. He does have to go through the daily struggle of being tempted by the dark side, but Luke is one of the few Jedi so very ultra-secure in the light side of the force, that he almost embodies it. I like that it points out that is NOT an easy thing to accomplish but Luke Skywalker manages it against all odds.

5. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    good luck with catching up Child ;)

he just changed the future in DN through his actions....yet he conviently forgets his actions in Betrayal.....what ?!???! :rolleyes:

It's to the point that I feel Luke will face a DS trial by merely getting a wrong cup of coffee, it's unrealistic. So on top of handicapping Luke's power, DS trials seem to be another consistent fallback for the authors.

remember the first batch of NJO books, they make 40 year olds act like they were in their 60's....a little on the nose there Del-Rey in pushing the OT in the background

Well it's G-Canon that Luke can be more powerful than either Yoda or Palpatine, that's just fact :)

6. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    In order to venture into this C-Canon section of the universe one has to take the variety of retcons into account as a part of the discussions. That is really how the Lit Forum works. Yes, at one point it was written that Obi & Owen were brothers. That has long since been changed.

Many of the folks you will be meeting and discussing things with in this forum view everything in the Star Wars universe as one massive ongoing story. Retcon's fix the contradictions as much as possible and the universe carries on.

It is like following historians and even archelogists in the real world, it's all in flux. For a long time Raptors were thought to look as they did in Jurrasic Park, then new info becomes available and suddenly we now know they had feathers. T-Rex's have gone from being apex predators to, with new research, scavengers. These little changes are forced all the time.

Ulicus and kataja like this.
  7. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Exactly and perhaps it's because I was so young when I first read it, but the message from that book has stuck with me throughout the years, because it's so true and really can be applied to anyone's life.

VanishingReality likes this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Maybe because Luke is such a shiny idol they feel the need to challenge this status, create some sort of character arc. But having things repeat themselves all the time is unoriginal. With Jedi it sometimes feels like everything has to be about the force. But Luke is a normal human being. He could struggle with all kinds of problems just like every other human.

VanishingReality likes this.
  9. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    For reference, here is the thread:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/non-eu-what-makes-a-jedi-sith.50007648/
    I had initially designated it as "non-EU" because otherwise, someone would've just made some link to wookiepedia, and that would've been the end of the discussion, for the most part.

10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Another point I like to make is ironically, Vader did make good on his promise to complete Luke's training by literally beating some sense into him.

VanishingReality and Darth_Pevra like this.
  11. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Darth_Pevra, the problem is you have Luke literally relearn stuff from the movies. Like for instance Luke understands there can be no room for doubt in ESB, yet in DN he has to confront doubt yet again. Learning new things is fine and should be expected for Luke. Relearning makes him look dumb

12. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Fab pic, but I don't think it's that recent. I mean, he was in some con just a week ago(?), and I thought him slimmer than of late, but nothing like that picture. Where did you find it?

=D=Great parallell!.

13. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    kataja, I dunno i google Mark Hamill episode 7 and that turn up

14. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    MasterSkywalker86:

That's why it annoys me so much when they keep repeating this plotline. Luke's supposed to be the hero, not the villain. He should be portrayed as a hero, not written as teetering on the edge of darkness over and over again. Plus, as you said, they only do this to Luke and not to the other Jedi characters. It's irritating!

Darth_Pevra :
    You make a good point there, DP!

I don't look at it as a contradiction. I look at it as Luke is just THAT amazing, powerful, and intuitive that he's able to achieve in a very short time what it took PT Jedi decades to master. ;):)

More another time...

15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    One of Luke's best skills is to pick up Force abilities in crazy fast time

16. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
  17. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
  18. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Makes sense he would become a knight and master in record time too :)

19. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    wow i can't keep up with this thread. I would agree from a few pages ago that Luke was inferior to Palpatine all the way. Still love the redemption storyline though

20. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Makes sense though as he is the Son of the Chosen One. His father showed a similar ability. Jacen/Darth Caedus also had a similar aptitude with the Force.

21. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Whst do you think they'll use from the Lit. EU Luke in the ST Luke?

22. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    If we're lucky? Truce at Bakura-The Unifying Force. While there are things I like about Luke in later books, there are also an equal amount of things I dislike.

23. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I think so as well both learn grip and had visions on their own. Not to mention Luke used Force speed and Force jump together in his duel with his father and Yoda never covered Force speed in Dagobah. Also in the beginning of ESB we see that Luke has some practice with telekinesis(force pulling his saber in the wampa cave), which he didn't learn from Obi-wan. Ben only focus on saber deflection, Force focus, and to attune one senses. although it has been shown that Luke can outpace Jacen in learning new skills. Twice he's shown to learn an ability quicker than his nephew ;)

24. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    uh also include Mindor, The early Zahn books, and witness Luke's power from DE and HoT :D

Luke Force ripping apart a fleet or landing a Star Destroyer with telekinesis is something to behold [face_hypnotized]

25. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    All of that took place in the time between Truce of Bakura and Unifying Force.

In fact remember, Luke picked up Force Speed by accident during Shadows of the Empire. Really, who just picks up abilities by accident?!

I highly doubt Yoda taught Luke a skill such as Force Grip, but clearly taught him the basics of Telekinesis. This would mean that Luke took something Yoda taught him and applied it to something else to create/discover a new ability.

Luke Skywalker>Jacen Solo quite handily I might add lol was made very clear when he held Caedus down, and the upcoming Sith Lord couldn't do anything about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.