main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Star Wars: A Single Work Of Art

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Cryogenic, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    What it says on the tin -- and much more:

http://www.starwars-edifice.co.uk/starwars-edifice_single_work_of_art.htm

I've been meaning to spotlight that site, now, for something like five years.

The author raises any number of intriguing possibilities and helpfully segments their radical thesis into bitesize mini-chapters.

I don't necessarily agree with every last assertion, but I guarantee you will learn something. Really worth a proper read.

2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Only read the first few sections thus far, but definitely worth a look. I'm getting a bit of a Star Wars as paradox idea, and I think this does much to explain that inexplicable something that keeps me interested in the series. Yes, the six films are one story, and yet at the same time the PT is the dark, dreamlike myth to the OT's rugged reality and heroic winning of the day. And the idea of the blockbuster positioning of the pieces as one more facet of the filmic "experiment" strikes me with a certain crazy truth. Last night while I was re-watching a bit of Melancholia--a SF big event film as delivered through a properly art house style--I couldn't help but feel like I'd already experienced aspects of the film before. The mansion setting was a hazy view of unreality despite being far, far removed from opulent CGI, and this ideal place of privilege may have provided temporary respite for a mentally anguished young(ish) adult, yet wasn't enough to hold back the larger, ultimately unavoidable apocalyptic truth. It was Naboo.

3. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Thanks a bunch, Cryogenic. Bookmarked until I can give it a proper read, as you say. Looking forward to it.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Cryogenic like this.
  4. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I have always regarded the six movies made between 1977 and 2005 as a complete saga (up to this point) and a single work of art.

5. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Actually it's more Marienbad, but I can see that too.

Cryogenic likes this.
  6. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Two works of art, a work of high-quality pop entertainment, two awful failures, a failure so epic that it will be remembered for centuries, an extremely "hit and miss" TV show, some highly uneven games, novels, and comics, two forgettable 80s kids' TV movies, two bad 80s cartoons, a few rather nice radio dramas, a crapload of merch, some pretty good YouTube fan films, and a "so-bad-it's-good" TV special that serves primarily as a showcase of the fantastic talents of Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett.

7. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Now, now. Leave Star Trek alone.

8. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    No, Star Trek was one work of art movie, one movie work of high-quality pop entertainment (two as of this Friday), three hugely overrated TV shows that are equal parts boring and preachy, two rightly-disliked TV shows, one pretty-decent old vector graphics game from the early 80s, a heap of generally lousy other games, a bunch of other movies that range between forgettable and awful, some novels and comics that aren't worth paying attention to, two highly-entertaining documentaries, a set of delightful fan films by Timo Vuorensola, a handful of underrated early skewerings by Plinkett, the worst fanfiction on the planet (and that's on a planet that contains Harry Potter fanfiction), and the weirdest and creepiest fandom in the known universe (and that's in a universe that contains AKB48 fans).

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    ...Wow, I'm now going to say it in earnest. Please leave Star Trek alone. Hell, at least leave the advent of Slash Fiction alone, if for no other reason than the mark it makes for progressive attitudes among fans.

Cryogenic and StarWarsVerses like this.
  10. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    Wow, there is a lot there. I'll have to read it bit by bit.

11. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    I don't have progressive attitudes. That's why I'm a Legend of Galactic Heroes fan...

[​IMG]

Sieg Kaiser!!!

12. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    There is a part of me that is very tempted to post something from Eva 3.0 up here as a counter of my progressive affiliation... but technically I'm a Shinji/Asuka shipper so I won't. Though I think it's cool that there's almost as much yaoi fanservice from Anno as there is hetero.

13. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    How old-school otaku am I?

I'm such an old-school otaku that I've hated Evangelion since all the way back in 1995!

14. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    So the Prequels and Evangelion are in the same boat? I'm... rather at peace with that, actually.

We have come to terms.

15. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Wow those last few posts were......incredibly disturbing!

And Narutakikun, I take great offense to calling all the Prequels "failures". (though your assessment of Star Trek is right on!)

And Jedi_Ford_Prefect......I really like your views/discussions on SW, but I am a firm believer that the world would be a better place without SlashFic!

16. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    I honestly believe that the new "Trek" movies would be worth all of the inane direction and writing if they had Spock hook up with Kirk instead of Uhura. At least then, it'd be a massive step forward culture wise in the right direction, like Kirk kissing Uhura back in the day.

StarWarsVerses and Ingram_I like this.
  17. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I literally disagree with every phase of that sentence. :p

18. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Of course it's a single work of art! That's a cool site. Thanks, Cryo!

...and Jedi_Ford_Prefect: I agree with you. The world needs more love, in all shapes and sizes!

- Jabba, you're a wonderful human being.
    - I'm a toydarian! Mind tricks don't-a work on me!

/LM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.