main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT 30th Anniversary of ROTJ

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Feelicks, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Are you talking about the blue-ish picture with just two hands holding a blue lightsaber, with the galaxy as the back-drop? If so, I do remember seeing this in a magazine prior to the release of ROTJ, though don't remember the "May be too intense for young children" note.

Here's a link to this pic:

http://cdn.movieclips.com/keyart/460197x480.jpg

2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    That's the poster. I saw it in a newspaper ad listing my local theaters. That's where I saw the "too intense" note. The only other place I'd seen that note was in ads for "Jaws".

3. Matsemitsu

Matsemitsu Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Had to snip the quote for length, but I agree with everything. It's by far the most emotional of the films, and so family-oriented, both in its style and its narrative. Considering that the SW characters grow on you quickly - and they've grown on each other by that time - family is the perfect theme for the grand finale. I also still enjoy the simplicity of the story in the end: It's family ties and bonds of friendship and love that ultimately save the galaxy. Everything from Luke's story to the Han/Leia romance to the Ewoks contributes to that. Whoever dismisses ROTJ on thos exact grounds (and some do, apparently) is a cynic.

Ingram_I and Ord-Mantell70 like this.
  4. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    30 years old already? I remember skipping school one afternoon to be first in line on the opening night. Back in '83, this was a major event....the conclusion of the whole Star Wars trilogy and God was I excited, my heart was beating out of my chest when the iconic 20th Century Fox logo and music appeared......then it began!!!!!! Star Destroyers, TIE Fighters, a half built, even bigger Death Star, Jabba, sail barge battle, Fett's death, speeder bikes, the Emperor, the mother of all space battles, the final confrontation between father and son, Ewoks, Endor ground battle, Vader's death.....OH MY GOD, I was transfixed to the screen for the duration and didn't even touch my popcorn or coke. Then it ended with all my favourite characters together, happy, free and safe. Even Vader finds peace back in the light with his old friend and mentor. A tear streaked down my cheek when the end title music started up and I felt that if I died then I would have died the happiest boy in the universe. I loved Jedi then and I still do now and to watch my wee guy sit wide eyed and enjoying it nowadays as much as I did back in '83 just goes to show that it'll still be a favourite to some in another 30 years!!!

whostheBossk and sith_rhino like this.
  5. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    I saw ROTJ in the theater when I was 14, and I remember standing in a HUGE line to get into the theather, even though my father had bought the tickets ahead of time. I love it, though I'd rank it behind ANH, TESB, and maybe ROTS in my personal Star Wars rankings.

One of the best things about it was getting to see Jabba the Hutt for the first time, though the newer editions of ANH spoil that a bit. The light sabre duel is great, though I think the one in TESB is a bit better. The Special effects are probably the best of the trilogy, but the Rancor scene seems like it could be better. I don't mind the Ewoks as much as I used to, but I think it would have been better if they'd shown more Ewok deaths, to show that the Stormtroopers aren't bumbling fools, as well as to show the sacrifice the Ewoks made. Yes, Vader finally getting to see his son with his own eyes was great, too. Finally, I loved Luke's coolness in the opening scene, as, all dressed in black, he marches into Jabba's palace and never seems the least bit worried, no matter how bleak things look. Then, there is Leia in a metal bikini, too!

I suppose I should do something special on May 25., yes?

6. sith_rhino

Jul 9, 2007
    Nice write-up! Similar to my experience at the time, I think. How old is your wee guy?

7. OldSchoolFan

Apr 6, 2013
    He's 6 and a huge Star Wars fan, I had ANH on one afternoon when he was 4 and he sat transfixed to the screen and didn't move for the whole duration of the film and since then we've spent many an afternoon watching all the movies (although he does loose interest with AOTC when the lovey dovey bits come on) and clone wars cartoons, okay he's a bit little yet to understand the deeper implications of what goes on but to see him enjoying the films as I did fills me with joy. It's costing me a fortune too in toys (but I get to play with them when he goes to bed so there's a good side to my weekend bankruptcy). He wants an astromech droid of his own too haha

sith_rhino likes this.
  8. sith_rhino

Jul 9, 2007
    That is cool. My son is 20 months old so I'm looking forward to sharing that with him, as well as playing with his Star Wars toys! :)

whostheBossk likes this.
  9. OldSchoolFan

Apr 6, 2013
    Plenty of time to get all the toys, even ones that seem too old for him..........you play with them until he's old enough. Well, that's my excuse for buying them and I'm sticking to it haha

whostheBossk and sith_rhino like this.
  10. sith_rhino

Jul 9, 2007
    LOL I like it. Now I just have to convince my wife that it's a good investment.

11. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I was 7 and can remember all the hype and playing with the action figures. I distinctely remember having action figures all laid out and hearing my parents from the kitchen blurt out that Luke was Leia's brother, so I incorporated that into my action figure scene. Tell me that spoiler now before I see the movie and I might have disintegrated them. Great movie overall, and I still have some figures and my Luke in Jabba's palace lunchbox! (this lunchbox saved 13 of my original figures that I still have) ROTJ rates behind ESB, ROTS, and ANH, but was my favorite growing up.

12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    rotj is first sw film i saw in the theater and remembered. i saw it like six times and got all the toys for christmas. i was five and turned six that year.