main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is Ian's portrayal of Sidious a bit over the top after killing Windu?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Slowpokeking, May 15, 2013.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    His voice and action is a bit too dramatic after he was "deformed", I don't think it's the actor's fault though. His portrayal of Sidious was right in the spot before the deformation, when he interacted with Dooku and the CIS leaders.

2. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I think it was more of Lucas saying "Make your voice deeper, sound more dramatic, weeze when you breathe, groan when you speak" and maybe even some added noises into his character's voice.

3. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    In brief, no. It was, and is, pretty much note-perfect. Sidious, let's not forget, is undergoing his own unearthly transformation in the same scene, and he doesn't really "right" himself, so to speak, until he dons the hood -- in fact, Ian McD's acting in THAT part may be my favourite actor-ly moment in the whole movie.

4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    It is, but I think it's on purpose and I think that's a good thing.
    He had to keep himself in check for far too long and when he's finally let loose he goes a bit insane, which I always found great fun. I really enjoyed that scene and still do.

5. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    He becomes pretty much a pantomime villain after his turn - especially his cackling performance in the Senate hall.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  6. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    I think he simply wanted to let loose and just have fun with it.

Lord knows how much that man had to keep in all that pent up rage for over a decade.

7. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Well sorry to say, this was probably the only time that I have sniggered at a serious scene in a movie that I saw in theaters.
    I never do this normally. Yes at home if I watch true dreck like Battlefield Earth then I snigger at the film.
    But not in theaters, even if I find the scene unintentionally funny, I try my best not to laugh. But here I could not stop myself.
    And I certainly didn't want to, I was engaged in the film and enjoying it but then this happened and it drew me totally out of the film.
    One of my friends that I saw the film with had to elbow me in the side because I was making him snigger as well.

Bye for now.
    The Guarding Dark

8. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    Yeah, I think Lucas went too far in trying to emphasize he's an evil monster. Puffy face, monster growls, demonic moaning, we get it George. It really does push the performance over the border of parody.

9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    No. he was pretty spot on.

Jedi Knight Fett and Allana_Rey like this.
  10. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    The only thing that bothered me, and still does, was I don't like the way we get the deformed face. It seemed like a copout to me, just a cheat to get the character to look the way he does in the OT. They should have done something else to explain that. It doesn't work.

Nowhere else in the films do we see force lightning do that. It's a plot hole.

11. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    There are plenty of explainations about Palpy's face.

12. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Bloated by the dark side, drunk on power, a brand new Emperor full of evil glee... Darth Sidious was perfect. If I want to see the old Emperor, I will watch ROTJ.

13. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

It's something they needed to do a better job with on film. Fans have lots of explanations for everything. That doesn't excuse sloppy films. It's just a cheap way to get from Palpatine's face to the Emperor's face

It's my only real complaint, I love most everything else about the Palpatine character in the prequels.

14. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I'm not referring to fan explainations.

15. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    What are you referring to, commentary? Comments from a film maker don't excuse bad filmmaking either. It's just not a good transition. I think he didn't really know how to accomplish it.

16. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    But it's in the EU only. For those that want to strictly stay in the movies, they've got nothing.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  17. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I take it you don't bother with comics and novels take on what happened with his face, so I won't waste your time.

18. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    yep..

19. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Yes, I am coming at this from a film only point of view.

TX-20 likes this.
  20. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Long story short, Palps always looked terrible and his Chancellor face was a mask, and after Mace "attacked" him he chose to not to put the mask back so he can blame the Jedi and spread the hate.

21. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Oh, I know that theory. I even like it, but it's not in the movie. I've always thought that the best explanation was that Palpatine was far older than he appeared and that his body had been ravaged by dark side use, but those things needed to be in the film. What we have does not work.

22. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    There is a lot of cool stuff that isn't stated in the movie. That is just one of them.

Darth Chiznuk and FRAGWAGON like this.
  23. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I've never said that there isn't.

24. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    That wasn't a complaint, just making a statement bud.

25. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Yes, there's a lot of stuff in the comics and the books that makes Revenge of the Sith a much better story.

But here's the problem. It's not in the movie. For those of us entrenched in the EU it doesn't matter, but for those that want to strictly stay in the movies, the flaw becomes quite obvious: the explanations are simply not there.

Things like "Open to interpretation" and "leave it to the audience" can only go so far before it devolves into fanwank.