main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Are the OT cast too old now?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhinyLuke, Oct 31, 2012.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I have

There was a simple reason Shatner wasn't in the reboot, Kirk was dead at the period when Spock went back in time. Remember, he died in Generations and as I understood things the time point where Spock came from in the most recent movie was after Nemesis so Kirk would have been long dead.

Han Solo did not die in any movie, so unless a new movie is set after his lifetime there is no reason why he can't be in it.

TaradosGon likes this.
  2. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    Actually the reason Shatner wasn't in STAR TREK had more to do with the way Spock had to be brought back through VIA an alternate timeline, and doing the same for Kirk would have been difficult. Orci and Abrams always maintained they had a scene to film, but felt it wouldn't do the character justice. It had nothing to do with his death in GENERATIONS as they never specify what the time period is when Spock comes through on purpose so as not to mingle with the timelines in the original movies.

3. -SummerMendocino-

-SummerMendocino- Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2004
    No offense, but that sounds terrible. I absolutely hate any movie or tv show where they use some old image in something current, and it's obvious that the actor had nothing to do with actually being there; it's some sort of stock photo or footage that is obviously being repurposed. It sticks out like a sore thumb and never feels authentic. It is one of the biggest things that irk me in a movie or tv show, and always completely shatters the believability of whatever I'm watching for me.

Also, I don't want to see any of the legendary trio die or be at their funeral. If they new trilogy moves forward a generation or two or three, and they mention them in the past tense, that's fine, I understand people die. It's just that seeing one of these three die or watching their funeral puts such a damper on the spirit of the conclusion of Return of the Jedi, where "they all lived happily ever after." I love that ending. And I don't want the ST to become one of those things that kept trying to drain blood out of a stone and in the process, negatively affect our (or, my) lasting impressions of the original trilogy.

CaptainHamYoyo and Lord Nikon like this.
  4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I question what role he could (or should) possibly play in Episode VII beyond a cameo. He was a smuggler that got caught up in the events of the OT because he was hired to go to Alderaan and then got caught by the Death Star and then refused to leave his friends and helped them out. Now Harrison is like 70 and unless they can work their CG magic and de-age him or use stunt doubles and super-impose Harrison's face to keep the character nimble, I can't see 70 year old Han telling Chewie to prep the Falcon so that this old smuggler now married (presumably) to a politician is going to run off to take on the next big threat.

[​IMG]

As far as Shatner in Star Trek (2009). There was originally some talk about offering him a cameo, despite the fact that the character would have been dead. My understanding was that it would have consisted of the older Spock showing the younger Spock a recording in which Shatner-Kirk is wishing Nimoy-Spock a happy birthday or something like that to show to the younger Spock that they have become very good friends, but that the idea was dropped (I assume because it would have felt forced and because Kirk was killed in Generations).

But they could do that kind of thing for a Han Solo cameo. Something where Luke is talking to someone over a communicator and we hear Harrison's voice on the other side. Something that would take minimal time commitment from Harrison, if he's not to keen on reprising the role to any large extent. It would also be something small enough to fit harmlessly into the story without an elderly Han sliding back into his smuggler getup for one last over-the-hill hurrah with Chewie and the Millennium Falcon.

I don't wish to see him forced into a story in which it feels unnatural for him to be. Just because he's not present doesn't mean he's dead or anything like that. Or it could be something like the new enemy attacks Coruscant and razes the planet, and we find out that Han was there only for him to later contact Luke - via the aforementioned communicator idea - to put his mind at ease and tell him that he got Leia out on the Falcon. As far as any appearance goes. The most appropriate place I'd put him is at the end of Episode IX. Keep Han out of the story for most of the trilogy, but then he can be there at that final celebration for the new protagonists after they have overcome the villains.

I don't know. But I don't think Han needs nor should have a large role. Luke and Leia are more appropriate since one is re-building the Jedi Order and the other would be an important figure in the political arena. Or they could establish that Han ditched Leia sometime between Episode VI and VII and returned to his life of freedom :p

pronker likes this.
  5. Uncle Owen

Uncle Owen Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 1999
    Here's your EPVII Jedi Master, Luke Skywalker:
    [​IMG]

Looking very much the mentor ala Obi-Wan.

Darth_Pevra, jps78 and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  6. Uncle Owen

Feb 16, 1999
    I am not a committee!
    [​IMG]

Darth_Pevra and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  7. Uncle Owen

Feb 16, 1999
    I've got a bad feeling about this.
    [​IMG]

8. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jinn-N-Tonic Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2006
    As I mention in my original post, Ford and Kathleen Kennedy are good friends and Kennedy played an instrumental role landing Ford the role of Indiana Jones. I think the very least she can persuade Ford to come back in a small but meaningful role... if needed.

9. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Breifly off-topic, but...does anyone else think that with a pair of glasses Hamill would look like Adam Savage in this pic???

IsoBanValian likes this.
  10. IsoBanValian

IsoBanValian Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2004
    I don't think there is any chance that an original trilogy character is going to be recast. You might say, its a snowball's chance on Mustafar. Will. Not. Happen.

11. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Put a beard on Luke and he's perfect ! He looks like a old Jedi .

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  12. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Your vision into the future is remarkable! It's amazing how you can peer into 2015 and witness your own invented assertions come to life!

Meanwhile, I've said nothing about an Ep. VII "starring" Hamill and Fisher. I don't think anyone here has. The actors should and are perfectly able to appear in elder statesman roles, akin to Kenobi and Mon Mothma in the OT.

13. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Unless of course they're, you know, playing the age that they are, which is late 50s/early 60s.

Why you persist in thinking we want them to play 30- or even 40-somethings is a mystery only you can answer.

FRAGWAGON and Obi-John Kenobi like this.
  14. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Give me a break carrie falls in and out of being in great shape. A little make up, maybe CGI she'll be fine. The same for Luke. Harrison looked good in Indiana Jones 4, alot better than he does in actual person. They can make them look pretty enough while still looking their age.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  15. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The original cast is definitely too old to do the original films.

They are the perfect age to play those characters 30 years later and to do new stories written for those characters.

I think they'll be mostly used in VII to pass on the "legacy" and then less as the trilogy progresses.

16. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I agree they will be there for Legacy Reasons not the Main Characters.

17. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I don't really have anything to add to this thread that hasn't already been said, but I don't think any of them are too old to reprise their roles if the same amount of time has passed in the movie universe that has passed in real life. I think their aged appearance will be fitting if they are in more distinguished roles, e.g. politicians, tacticians, and or Jedi leaders. Also I love that picture of Mark Hamill with a beard. That's exactly how I picture him as an aging Jedi Master, and that's exactly how I'd like to see him in Episode VII.

18. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm not interested in them anymore. I'd love to see Obi-wan and Bail between 3 and 4. Twenty years of ?????? can be filled in.

pronker likes this.
  19. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I think Lucas plan always was to have the cast in their 60's/70's in the sequel trilogy.So far "everything's going as planned."

20. DarthInventus

DarthInventus Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2013
    They could do that thing where the character calls in. You know , the new guy gets a conference holo from Luke, Lea and Han. Kind of like they were all home for Ewok Christmas or something? "I know who can give me guidance! Lets see if their home. Ring Ring.....

21. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    They might be mentioned, but I'd not like to see them in the new films. If it happens, maybe it could be like the cameos of Alfred Hitchcock, who, when he realized audiences were just dying to spot him in his movies, put his appearances at the very beginning of each movie, to get it over with. That was a grand case of realizing fandom and its influence, to me.

22. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    For me the problem mostly isn't that they're too old but that they havnt aged well (outside of ford). Thankfully they probably won't be doing any of the big action/drama work so I'm not gunna worry too much about them. I gots new cast to worry about :p

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Edited "to" to "too" in the thread title... a pet peeve of mine. :p

Pro Scoundrel and clone3131 like this.
  24. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004

I think this really only applies to Carrie. I think Mark looking all "scruffy lookin" can show the hardships he's gone through. Harrison, Billy Dee I think look good enough to reprise their roles. So, its really on Carrie to "shape up" (so to speak) and see if she could handle the role. If she cant, then I would just mention Leia a few times, but not recast her..

-C

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    So Leia couldn't have gone through hardships as well?