main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit is Chewbacca gonna be revived in the EU over the next two years?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Or Iron Man 3, man Abrams be tripping :p

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    J.J. Abrams killed my dog.

And then he brought him back to life for brand recognition purposes! Abraammmmsss!

3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    He wants to eat our Brains. I read it on the internet so it must be true.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Star Trek has a tradition of numerous timelines and resets, so nah, the reboot doesn't get rid of it, it just shifts it over to the left or right of the numerous timeline set. And without the old timeline, the film couldn't have happened anyway.

It was a smart solution to a major roadblock.

Zorrixor and Darth_Pevra like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    JJ Abrams rebooted my life story and retconned me out of existence.

6. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Abrams made me blind with all those lens flares.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  7. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    You said that much better than I could have. I completely agree that it would really confuse people if there was no mention at all and it would do more harm than good if there were just some off-hand remarks meant to acknowledge Chewie's absence and explain it.

8. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    *Han, Leia, and Luke crowd around the control console of the Millennium Falcon as a large group of New Imperial ships rush to entrap them.*

HAN: Imperial cruisers, sixteen in all. We're not getting out of this one without some scratches.

LUKE: Don't worry, I've got a plan.

LEIA: Just the same, you and I had better get back to the guns and start blasting. Han, show 'em you've still got a few tricks up your sleeve.

HAN: You bet, guys. I only wish....Chewie was here.

*The action grinds to a screeching halt.*

LUKE: Oh, yes, good old Chewie. Good old, reliable, dead Chewie. Chewbacca, who is dead and has been for some time. Who died long before the events that are now taking place.

LEIA (looking at the camera): A moon fell on him.

*LENS FLARE*

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, the idea that the Trek "prime" timeline is running around unaffected from Nero's actions does run counter to, like, every Trek time travel story before that where the gist was "Crap! Past has been changed, our present has been altered ... there we go, phew, that worked out!". But one of the writers explained it as, timeline creating an alternate reality is a more "realistic" theory instead of destroying it, I think he likened it to writing a story where scientific knowledge knew that the Earth was flat, but then later you have to write another story, and everyone knows that the Earth is round. I think there was a Trek novel ("watching the clock") that made the two bits work together with the theory: if you go back in time & stay there, alternate reality spin off. If you go back in time & come back, timeline alters. Not a perfect retcon but it works well enough, since alternate realities are a part of Trek lore. As for me, I could go either way (It's not as if anyone was DOING anything in the original timeline anymore, were they?). Hell, Spock and Nero are there and have memories & technology from the "prime" timeline so it does prove that it does exist. and probably still does. They create an alternate reality, which is what Uhrah flat-out says about halfway through the movie.

Of course, if you go far down the rabbit hole of Trek lore, it gets a little mindbending: what about the Borg trying to stop Cochrane, what happens if the TNG crew doesn't exist anymore? What about the good timeship Relativity, or Daniels from "Enterprise", and their job is to literally stop the timeline from crashing in on itself? And so on.

Basically, if you say "the Abrams movie destroyed the entire Star Trek universe" you would be right. Also if you say "The Abrams movie works concurrently with the Star Trek Universe" you'd also be right. That's actually why I like the flick so much, it's a sequel, a prequel, a reboot, and a remake all at once. A Seprebootmake! I ain't never seen one of those before.

Darth_Pevra and Circular_Logic like this.
  10. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    I admit, I laughed out loud at this.

But oh my, if the script is anything like that, I would go into the booth, knock out the operator and change Ep VII to Ep V

11. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    No, I love him, but no reviving allowed.

12. MasterKyle

MasterKyle Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2013
    Are we so sure that Episode VII is going to take place after Chewie's death?

13. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    The_Phantom_Calamari Your script made me lol, but this is the part where my laugh became a cackle:

[face_laugh]=D=

14. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    There's no real good way to answer this question given that it will likely not take place in the EU continuity we know and love in the first place.

15. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    This is a good point the televised stuff had millions in viewership and 3 7 season long shows if he is willing to crush that no way he has a problem invalidating comics and books

16. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Heh... this conversation makes me realise Abrams is the Anti-Filoni. :p

Filoni was hated for killing characters, and now everyone's worried about Abrams reviving them. :p

17. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    that is not entirely true... Filoni ressurected Maul and lots of other Jedi who had died on Geonosis ..

edit: but if it is all to worry about who is alive or dead then we have not much to fear. aside dead walking again or someone like Fett staying dead in the Sarlacc after all maybe I can envision worse things to happen...

Hoojibs could be the new Gungans/Ewoks of the Sequels! or Squips!

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  18. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Knowing about the Hoojibs or the Squibs would require actually reading some of the EU. And the kiddies don't know them anyway.

19. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Telepathic bunnies are not hard to understand.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Meh, Filoni was hated for pet characters. And for committing character assassination that did not involve death.

21. King_in_Yellow

King_in_Yellow Jedi Knight

Jan 15, 2012
    I was just reading through the Glove of Darth Vader thread when I realized that there was a way for have your cake and eat it too.

In the Glove of Darth Vader thread Grand Moff Hissa was quoted when he tried to explain why a piece of Death Star II debris could be found on Mon Calamari:

"The intense gravity of black holes and other interstellar forces cause warps, folds, and buckles in space," explained Grand Moff Hissa. "Asteroids and spaceships have tumbled into these space warps and have suddenly reappeared millions of miles away. The same thing must have happened to this debris from the Imperial Death Star."

Think about it. A dovin basal was used to crash that moon into Sernpidal. And as we all know, a dovin basal creates black holes.

So what I think happened is this: Chewie was sucked into a "warp, fold or buckle" in space and deposited to some remote part of the galaxy. After many years, Chewie finally makes it back to the civilized parts of the galaxy and reunites with Han immediately before the start of the sequel trilogy.

Han and Chewie have whatever ever adventures Disney has planned for them and then when the sequel trilogy ends Chewie immediately dies, perhaps slipping on a banana peel and breaking his neck.

I like this idea since it would forever put the fans of the wookie into the debt of the authors of the Glove of Darth Vader series.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    There is always the no body = no death rule

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    As much as I like the Glove of Darth Vader series (I really do) I don't see your little theory happening. Why would they bring up something from the series? It would be funny but I can't see it happening.
    And while Jedi Ben is right about no body= no death (and even death not being enough sometimes) its been 20 years roughly since that point. Chewie's return would ruin the thing we got going now. They've gotten over it mostly. Granted the books later aren't as good but shoe-horning Chewie in just to please fans annoys me. I came to terms with Chewie's death years ago so to bring him back would not be appreciated.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    In case anyone doesn't know it, there's a Section 31 episode of Trek where a character gets disintegrated on-screen, yet still lives!

The issue isn't ultimately resurrecting a character but how. If it's done in a way that people accept, it flies - Joe Quesada may have uttered the phrase "dead is dead" but he also broke with it too! If you know the rules and how they work, you can break them and get away with it.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If Chewie was brought back in DNT I might have been fine with that. If Del Rey wanted to get away from the NJO and appease the fans that hated Chewie's death, that would have been the perfect time. Its way too late for it to be believable now.

Grand Admiral Crumb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.