main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Does anyone know what role will Bad Robot play in this film?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by BoromirsFan, May 17, 2013.

1. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I read an article about the new star trek film, that Abrams wanted Bad Robot to have more control over the marketing and licensing of characters in Star Trek.
    http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/how-web-star-trek-rights-killed-jj-abrams-grand-ambitions-91766\

*Feel free to correct me if I am wrong*

Anyways, I am really curious as to what Abrams is using Bad Robot in regards to Episode VII. Is there anything we can assume/guess based on his prior works? Control in marketing, licensing, toys? Or just in name only?

I am surprised Disney would let another company in....why not just hire a Director only instead of dragging his baggage with him? Or does every bigname director have their own production company?

Its a lot of questions I know! I just hope the bad robot logo isn't at the beginning of the film! :p

Yodahasgreenfeet likes this.
  2. Darth_Brad03

Darth_Brad03 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    My thought is that Bad Robot will be involved in talent only. Disney will take full advantage of the marketing/merchandising rights they purchased.

As far as the logo - I imagine that there is a real possibility that "WALL-E" could show up after the LucasFilm logo. However, I like to think that JJ will be interested in preserving the classic opening, and won't push for this. Could be naive of me...

El_Machete12 likes this.
  3. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Bad Robot would serve as part of the production using some of it's staff & the logo may or may not be there.......

Sum-Wan likes this.
  4. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    If there are no bad robots in this movie, I will be disappointed.

Bob Octa likes this.
  5. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    From what my sources tell me, Bad Robot is set to play Han and Leia's youngest daughter.

6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    All big directors (and usually actors too) have their own production company. It's a standard practice these days, and guess who helped start this trend. That's right George Lucas/Lucasfilm. Bad Robot won't have as much to do in this situation, because Lucasfilm already has it's own people to handle most of the production duties. However, anything Abrams does involves Bad Robot in some capacity and the logo will almost certainly be at the beginning of the film.

Immortiss and Sum-Wan like this.
  7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I was kind of thinking there was an ironic similarity to LucasFilm there too.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Bad Robot will be seen being disciplined for his poor performance in Jabba's droid dungeon.

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Bad Robot's producer Bryan Burke is a co-producer on Ep 7. It might be similar to the arrangement Spielberg's Amblin Ent had with Lucasfilm when he was directing the Indy films for Lucas. He brought in a team of producers to produce the film along with Lucas and his team. So with this film you have JJ directing and his production team co-producing along with Lucasfilm, now owned by Disney.

I fully expect Kathy Kennedy to have a Exec. Prod. credit on the film and provide her input.

10. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    Are production company's mainly there so directors work with similar talent on their films?

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

12. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Hopefully as little as possible.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    The production company is made up of the the people the director trusts to get things done. Casting, scheduling, budgeting, and scripting are a few examples of the usual duties. Abrams regular writing team won't be involved with Ep. VII (thank the force) because Michael Arndt is already in that position. Also, Kathy Kennedy will be taking an active producing role (thank the force for that, too), but she's never worked with Bad Robot before. Mainly this will be a co-production between Lucasfilm and Bad Robot.

BoromirsFan and eht13 like this.
  14. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    sorry to veer off topic, but are there any big name directors who don't have their own production company?

15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Not that I'm aware of. It's standard practice these days.

16. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    When those production companies are led by directors(like Lucas/Lucasfilm, Spielberg/Amblin, and Abrams/Bad Robot) yes. It's also so they can produce other projects they don't plan on directing, as all three aforementioned filmmakers have done too.

17. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    The issue there was CBS had control of tv rights for Star Trek and Paramount had movie rights etc, and both having marketing rights of their material leaving Abrams with little control of marketing to tie in possible tv and movie stuff together.

Not that he wanted to license them himself, just that he couldn't control the level of marketing for the franchise itself in terms of story tie-ins etc.

With all Star Wars licensing being under one Disney umbrella, the movie/tv marketing tie-ins won't be an issue and he can expand upon as many different media outlets as he wants with Star Wars as a result. No having to fight with one group for one thing and another group for another etc.

Bad Robot will not control licensing, Disney will.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  18. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    My guess is that Bad Robot will either be a Bounty Hunter or comic relief. He seems too cute to be taken seriously as a Bounty Hunter, which is his greatest asset. He comes up to you all cute and non-threatening and then BAM! You're toast Mo-Fo!!!

OR comic relief. He plays a bounty hunter that can't catch anyone.

[​IMG]

19. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

... or sent to the spice mines of Kessel, smashed into who knows what!

20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Maybe the Bad Robot logo will be altered as a joke for the start of the film

[​IMG]

As this now famous edit shows.
    I fully expect the Disney logo to be altered also, if indeed it appears at all (doesn't in Marvel movies).

As for what Bad Robot will do - Mostly help Abrams with casting and keeping on schedule & marketing and whatnot, as is normal. I don't really care what they do if the movie is good, and with the creative teams in place so far I have confidence it will be.

21. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Disney had to purchase the distribution rights of the Marvel films from Paramount, but because Paramount's 5 movie deal with Marvel was not up, even though Disney is the distributor, they still had to put Paramount's logo in place of their own.

It is very likely when Disney gets past this small obstacle, they will start placing their logo at the beginning of Marvel Films as well.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  22. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    Whatever happens I will be fan-editing the old 20th-Century Fox fanfare into my personal collection of this new trilogy. For continuity purposes.

23. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I like your dedication.

24. Evil--Yoda

Evil--Yoda Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 11, 2012
    Pretty sure Bad Robot WILL be in the intro.
    But if you're overly concerned about something as insignificant as the intro logo's then you really need to steer clear of this movie for when something significant is different like the whole Star Wars universe being nothing like you hoped/imagined post ROTJ.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  25. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I really liked when some people complained how the movie wouldn't be as good without hearing the Twentieth Century fanfare at the beginning.
    Ah, the things we obsses over.