main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Are the OT cast too old now?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhinyLuke, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    They need to at least get decent looking. They dont need to be all big action hero mode *save the sexy bodies for the new cast* but they need to at least look healthy and somewhat imposing. I am happy that it appears that Hamill is getting better looking *coarse I havn't seen many things of him recently but the most recent you can tell he's looking kinda better*. As for Carrie....I understand what she's been through so I'm not gunna get too mad at her if she doesn't look her best *makeup, clever costume design and camera tricks can do the work*

Darth_Pevra and clone3131 like this.
  2. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I guess it all depends on what kind of 'roles' they are going to play in the ST. If Luke is going to be the "new OB1" of the OT, then scruffed up is probably ideal. Harrison, as we agree, looks good, so no big change there. If Carrie/Leia is suppose to be this regal princess/leader of the New Republic, then maybe having Carrie be a little 'rough around the edges' might not be the best idea. But, i bet she is already shaping up to be ready....I'm sure they 've talked to her by now...

-C

3. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    They are too old. Yes. Too old to begin the sequels.

lol j/k of course not! I can't wait to see elder Luke and the gang!

4. Darth slaughter

Darth slaughter Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 22, 2013
    Why is everyone being so fickle. Yes they are older but that's what happens after 30 years and episode 7 is going to be set 30 years after episode 6. Now it would look
    Silly if they were only in there 40s 30 years later wouldn't it? They are old yes, not in the best of shape but this is what happens.
    Give them episode 7, it may be the last SW movie they are in, but they need to come back otherwise it might as well be a spin off rather than episode 7.
    I've waited a long long time for them all to come back and I don't care how old or what they look like as long as they give a good emotional performance.
    There will be many SW movies without them in in the future, so just have a little patience for that if you don't want to see them back again

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  5. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Is this thread still floating around - the short answer to the question is "NO"......

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If they train to get in shape they will be fine. Unless you mean...
    "Too old. Yes. Too old to begin the training".

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I had to scroll back through this thread to see if it was one of the ones that got really ugly with accusations of "age-ism" being thrown around, right after the Disney buyout.

They need to get in shape, and I don't think Carrie needs to put on the metal bikini nor does Mark need to take off his shirt a la Dagobah, any more than I need to be buying clothes from Limited Too or the teen section of your average department store.

But no, not "too old."

8. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Luke is the only OT character I want to see in the ST. Nothing against the others, but one criticism I have of the SW saga is that sometimes I think the scope is too small. It seems sometimes too many people know each other and too few people have a hand in big (unrelated) events.

9. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Must be cuz I play D&D, but I have never thought GFFA was "too small".
    I find nothing amis about 5 people totally changing the entire fate of the galaxy and everything revolving around them.

FRAGWAGON and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  10. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    A large percentage of the population of this planet believes that just one person changed everything, so 5 people is a walk in the park. :p

11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    George Lucas, right?

12. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Well, I can't think of a better answer to give than this: remember Indiana Jones not too long ago? Remember Shia Lebeauf? No? Well that's just mean... ;) but the reason would probably have to be that Harrison Ford still stole the show being that he's Harrison Ford... :p

...same goes for all the actors and George Lucas on his creative consulting, I think...

Another perfect example would have to be Lethal Weapon, in which Danny Glover's character is always stating, "I'm too old for this...ahem..." but was he ever really? I think they could make another one today, and at any time take it straight to the box-office and then straight to the bank... :cool:

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    They are old of course, but I'm sure their roles will largely be supporting a new younger cast. I don't see Harrison Ford spending the whole movie flying about in the Falcon blasting stuff while still wearing the same unbuttoned shirt he had 30+ years ago.

14. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    You can never be too old to play an old person.

But

Is Chewbacca too hairy to play a Wookiee?

15. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Seeing Mark burger bingeing and going dumpster diving for cigs isn't making him look good, though. I hope these guys are serious about getting back in shape, because if they don't, the Rebels will be calling Luke "Porkins" from now on.

16. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Well if the OT cast dont look good then all the more reason to focus on the younger, *and inevitably more attractive* new cast. :p

*its also kind of a downside for the OT cast because if you got them *this is if they dont look the best* standing next to a bunch of beautiful, young and fit people then the OT casts flaws are going to become SOO much more noticible by comparison. Hopefully whoever is doing the makeup can make that problem a little less glaring

17. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Honestly? Not even Brad Pitt in his 'Louis' years would detract from me seeing Mark, Carrie, and Harrison, and being happy about it - the OT cast will have 'presence' that the new kids will have to earn - did we judge Yoda by his looks? (Never mind that he's not human)

18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I agree, Breezy! I don't care how beautiful the new cast is, just seeing Mark, Carrie and Harrison in those rolls again will be the most beautiful to me, no matter what they look like!

DarthBreezy likes this.
  19. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Look at Jay and Silent Bob Strike back. If the ST was done then I would say "no, they are definitely not too old". Now??? Not so sure.

20. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    It's essentially what has happened in almost every fantasy story ever if you think about it. I mean, not the actual number of life-altering people, but a couple of them changing things in the world, galaxy, etc.

21. jewlmc17

jewlmc17 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 2, 2013
    Not only is it ageist to say "They are too old", it also makes absolutely no sense. In the prequel trilogy we have older characters to guide(or manipulate) the young ones. In the original trilogy we have elder characters(who were younger in the prequels) to guide or manipulate. So then the sequel trilogy it's going to be.....YOUNG YOUNG AND ONLY YOUNG!!!.??

Logically, the OT big three(and Lando!) would be the elder statesmen/women of the whole thing. It wouldn't make sense NOT to have them. For the reasons above, and also because Harrison/Mark/Carrie are legacy character/actors in the saga. Most people would be upset that they weren't in it. The media would rip Disney and JJ Abrams to friggin shreds. Forget a few fanboy's on a star wars board who think "EW! Old people!!". Of course, on this I have faith in JJA. If he was as ageist as all you, he wouldn't have touched Leonard Nimoy would he?

I'm not even going touch the reboot talk. Not everything needs to be rebooted for a new generation. There may be star wars comics, but these aren't comic book characters that are meant to have multiple incarnations. Some things are just classics and need to be left the hell alone. The fact that they are doing Episode VII instead of rebooting should tell you that they are smart enough to know that. Thank god.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I thought we agreed to put a stop to jokes about their weight on here. :p

23. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The OC are too old to be alive. Ergo they must be dead. Therefore they cannot be in these movies!

I don't think anyone over 30 should be in these films. They should also set height & weight restrictions as well. It would be disturbing for the audience to see wrinkles or non-perfect bodies. And the little kiddies wouldn't like it -- do you want them to make a SW movie that the little kiddies don't like?!?! All old people should be collected off the streets and hidden inside windowless interment bunkers so we don't have to look at them anymore.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Dude. You are so on a roll today.

25. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Let this "argument" die already.