main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Loopy777

Loopy777 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2013
    I still think Grevious should have been Maul.

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I would have been just as happy if Dooku had been made a credible and memorable villain in his own right. Dark Rendezvous had to do that.

3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I've always thought they should have kept Dooku a bit longer. Who really needed that coughing, four-armed scarecrow in ROTS anyway? (At least, parts of the EU gave him a decent backstory, but the treatment of Grievous in the movie was meh.)

GGrievous and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  4. Loopy777

Apr 8, 2013
    Dooku is the poster boy for why George should have sat down and figured out the full story of the prequels before he started making the first one. The character could have been a great icon, but in the end we wonder why he was in the movies at all.

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I was literally in the middle of writing a post that began, "Ultimately, the prequels suffer from Lucas making them up as he went along. If he had written all three before filming the first..."

I'm glad I checked back before I allowed myself to be ninja'ed. :p

Zorrixor likes this.
  6. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Grievous was cool in the novel. I thought they made a mistep in portraying him as something of a bumbling idiot. Star Wars movies are made for the whole family, and not everything has to be so serious and grimdark all the time, but I still feel that Grievous feels out of place in ROTS.

That said, I actually didn't mind Maul's revival in TCW. I actually think, as things stand right now, it opens the door for Old Wounds to be canon. Old Wounds is one of my favorite comics in the EU, sue me. Plus, I like that it allowed Palpatine to be awesome (though I still haven't seen the episode in question), and in theory, I'm not opposed to Maul challenging and taking over the Mandalorians. Actually feels like a decent fit.

Frankly, the Maul stuff could have been handled much worse. He could have been another Grievous. On that subject, however, Dooku is pretty awful in TCW.

Circular_Logic likes this.
  7. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    What do you mean, "awful"? All the best Sith Lords get their lightsaber stolen by monkey lizards and are then captured by pirates.

Cronal, Zorrixor, Robimus and 5 others like this.
  8. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Indeed. When a character played by Christopher ******* Lee doesn't have a dominating presence, you know you've written something wrong.

Dude, you can keep your Evan Piell and your droid episodes. That is the single worst episode in TCW. It's not even a contest.

Zorrixor and Esg like this.
  9. Loopy777

Apr 8, 2013
    No, no, see, Palpatine had it right in Stover's ROTS novelization. Dooku was just a random failed Jedi posturing with a red lightsaber. There really are no Sith.

Either that, or Dooku's actions in that episode were an act designed to make the Jedi question their assertion that Dooku was a true Sith Lord.

TCW was Palpatine's fault. Dude is the biggest and best troll in all of fiction.

10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked Dooku in AOTC; I liked the villain posturing as a gentleman.

Otherwise, though...yeah.

It's up there with the one about an alleged planetary leader who runs screaming "the bad guys are here!" like a 3-year-old on Halloween. Geez, Obi-Wan, when did you start dating Willie Scott? I once thought you had taste... That episode read like bad fan fiction.

12. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    What would have made him work that much better is if Lucas had to vision to set him up during TPM. As others have mentioned, his by the seat of his pants story telling, has always been a clear fault in his story telling.

Ulicus likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh I agree. He should have been on the Council in TPM. Then the audience would be shocked to find that the new Sith is him.

Of course having a new Sith when Maul was still alive and hiding on the Outer Rim...SMH. Sidious didn't know? He knew pretty much everything else.

14. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    At least the Republic and Jedi series of comics did something worthwhile with Dooku. The scenes between him and Quinlan Vos were especially good.

GunganSlayer and pronker like this.
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    That scene where he killed the despot king on Tibrin and "liberated" the Ishi-Tib was particularly good. Perfect example of Dooku stepping into a problem the Jedi/Republic never wanted to get involved in and putting a swift end to it. And the speech he gave afterward cemented those "charismatic" skillz we're always hearing about.

TCW Dooku wasn't particularly charismatic. Although he'd talk your ear off on the hologram transceiver if you'd let him.

pronker and Mia Mesharad like this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL. True. He could also throw around some lightning bolts like nobody's business but that's where his skills stopped. I found him a lot more interesting in the previously mentioned Yoda: Dark Rendezvous as well as the Plagueis novel and Labyrinth of Evil.

I need to get that comic...

Esg likes this.
  17. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Vos obsession with finding the second Sith was a favored hook. I especially liked when Dooku was urging him to give into the Darkside and essentially toying with him

pronker likes this.
  18. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
  19. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Ahsoka has to steal the Death Star plans. That's the only way this works.

20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Well, that doesn't sound that bad, actually. Certainly preferable to a post-film series.

Esg likes this.
  21. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Leia was just the other Skywalker, the other last hope Yoda mentioned in Empire was really Ahsoka, which explains why Obi-Wan didn't know what he was talking about.

Zeta1127, Zorrixor, RC-1991 and 3 others like this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    This deal is getting worse all the time.

I'm sure Ahsoka is the Heroine of the Day and is solely responsible for the Empire losing those star systems.

Esg likes this.
  23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Well, I admire their hint-dropping at the very least.

24. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    We're going to get the "How will Ahsoka best Vader this week?" show, aren't we? :(

25. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Ashoka is going to turn Vader back to the light. Then the Emperor will erase his memory, making him evil again.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.