main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Can Force lightning hurt you if you're not grounded? Also does rubber provide any protection?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Nerdling, May 16, 2013.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It depends on the source. Some EU has vastly overstated the power of lightning in the hands of certain characters.

2. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    [​IMG]

It is a matter of intensity.

rumsmuggler and darth ladnar like this.
  3. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Wasn't Darth Maul once hit by Force Lightning, while in mid-air, and he fought it off?

4. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Comparing 'Force Lightning' to actual, atmospheric lightning strikes on Earth is pointless. Obviously Force lightning is not going to be happening in accordance with that specific phenomenon pretty much ever, even if it were wholly electrical in nature. 'Force lightning' is a flavorful term, not a description of what tossing a brilliantly colored arcing plasma discharge from your fingers actually is as a matters of Star Wars physics.

Creating hot, colorful, electrical discharges that appear as flowing streams of plasmatic energy doesn't translate into lightning bolt. If anything, Force lightning as a visual phenomenon most closely resembles a fairly powerful Tesla Coil in action.

Starkeiller likes this.
  5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Come to think of it, the Death Star floors are metal...so what's stopping the lightning from traveling through the floor and going back to Palpatine to complete the circuit? If it was electricity anyway...

Actually scratch that, electricity always takes the path of least resistance, and air is far more resistant to electric currents than Palpatine's body...so any use of Force Lightning (if it were electricity) ought to fry the user first :D

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  6. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yea, but this is an example of EU power creep syndrome. Real lightning would fry Palpatine as well as has been pointed out. 2m are nothing when the voltage is so high.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Is this thread over yet?

8. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Thank God someone else made that connection and said something...

9. pHitzy

pHitzy Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2013
    I just joined this forum to ask a question, but as soon as I saw the title of this thread, I knew I was home. :D

10. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Why is it pointless? There are tons of EU books and SW encyclopedias out there. Some give some really specific explanations -- like "Darth Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader" mentions how Vader's suit has catheters to deal with his "waste." That's really getting into the nitty-gritty. Some source may have addressed this. In fact, I just read that Vader's suit is said to be lined with insulation to protect him from Force lightning. Insulation is what protects you from regular electricity as well. So, clearly real lightning and Force lightning have some similar properties.

Pensive Padme likes this.
  11. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Just ask Anakin.

Pensive Padme likes this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  13. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Because it's a matter of picking the wrong physical phenomenon. A lightning strike is a single pulse electrical discharge, one stroke and counterstroke, between widely separated charge concentrations in the context of the immense energies of weather. Force lightning is a continuous stream of electrical discharges from one source to another across a modest distance (30m max if TOR is to be believed). If you want to compare Force lightning to standing in front of a high-powered Tesla Coil, well, that makes some measure of sense, but comparing it to atmospheric lightning is swapping the flavor text for the mechanics. Lightning is not equal to electrical discharge.

darth ladnar likes this.
  14. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    i'm standing right here you know

jeez

rumsmuggler, RC-1991 and Zorrixor like this.
  15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Even a large Tesla coil is lethal as it causes heart attacks.

16. Parnesius

Parnesius Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 8, 2012

Not to a Jedi:

Dark Lady Mara and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  17. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    That bit when they fly through the couplings always seemed weird to me. Obi-Wan seemed all concerned, and then they just fly through, and nothing happens to them, and there's no explanation -- at least in the film.

18. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Green lightning works because Luke is the man.

19. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I never got why Palpatine was deformed by Force lightning so soon and Luke was not.

20. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    probably because that was Palpatines true form. Also he was torturing Luke to start off and didn't kick up the intensity until he said " now,you will die"

21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

The epic Episode 3 novel gives the way more logical explanation of that it was do to Mace using Vaapad to throw the force lighting back at Palpatine. If Palpatine could really fake his appearance, he would do so again as Emperor, just to avoid making it so easy for the Rebels to brand him as a monster.

22. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I've read it several times. I'm well aware of what it saysin the novel ..

23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    He already claimed his appearance was the result of the "Jedi attack". The Rebels can brand him as a monster from his actions alone.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  24. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    He uses it as compelling evidence in the senate that the Jedi were traitorous and trying to assassinate him. It's part of why the Senate supports the Jedi purge. He couldn't very well go back to looking "normal" after he has publicly used his deformed appearance against the Jedi. Plus, I don't think Palpatine cared that he didn't look normal. He probably liked being able to walk around in his real Sith appearance.

(BTW, even the SWTOR has Sith become disfigured as they become more powerful in the Force.)

rumsmuggler likes this.
  25. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000