main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Anakin's age in Outbound Flight

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMasterKeno, May 15, 2013.

1. JediMasterKeno

JediMasterKeno Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 22, 2000
    I just gotboth paperback of rogue planet and outbound flight. So since Anakin is 12 in rogue planet, how old is he in Outbound flight?

2. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    I am actually rereading Outbound Flight right now and I believe he is stated as 14... I'll try and find confirmation in a bit

Edit: Page 43, 4th line from the top. Obi-wan: "But you know what 14-year-old Padawan learners are like."

3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    There's usually a timeline in the front of every Star Wars book. If you look up when the character is born on Wikipedia, you can figure out the ages that way.

4. JediMasterKeno

Apr 22, 2000
    I don't trust Wikipedia. I just want to know from someone who actually read outbound flight. In my head for some weird reason I think of Anakin's age in Outbound flight as he looked in attack of the clones

5. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Anakin was born in 41.9 BBY, and the Outbound Flight occured in 27 BBY. So yeah, he was a little more than 14, which is about five or six years younger than he was in Episode II.

6. JediMasterKeno

Apr 22, 2000
    Don't do that seriously with the whole baby carp. I can't Stand it

7. JediMasterKeno

Apr 22, 2000
    Meant the bby timeline crap. It gets annoying when people have to talk like that with the bby timeline

8. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Can't really understand why you complain, however. You wanted an answer, and you have it: fourteen, which is definitely not the same as nineteen or twenty during Attack of the Clones. No need to behave unsavorily, my friend. Also, that "crap" is how the Star Wars timeline works, you know.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep, 14. I wish that book would have shown more of him other than C'baoth giving him ****.

10. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    I want to know more about Riske. He seemed like a pretty interesting character...

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    You're going to have to get used to it, or at least learn to let it go without passing comment. People trying to help you don't deserve that kind of response.

Be excellent to each other.
    :cool:

12. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Anakin was born in 7:4BrS, and the Outbound Flight occured in 8GrS. So yeah, he was a little more than 14, which is about five or six years younger than he was in Episode II.

RC-1991 and JediMara77 like this.
  13. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I apologize for trying to help you out. I won't do it again.

DarthApprentice and instantdeath like this.
  14. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm so very much in love with the BrS/GrS dating system. It's both Republican and Imperial, after all. [face_love] However, I suspect that someone who doesn't like the BBY/ABY system won't like this either, for obvious reasons. ;) People usually know what the Battle of Yavin was, but the Great ReSynchronization, that's a different kettle of fish.

Now if we wanted to be a tease, we could say that Anakin was born in 3,611 ATC (After the Treaty of Coruscant), in 958 after the Ruusan Reformation or... in 36,421 TYA (after the Tho Yor Arrival). :p

15. Loopy777

Loopy777 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2013
    So, if Anakin was 14 in OF and a fairly well-behaved padawan there, I'm guessing he was a late-blooming whiny teenager?

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Depends on which author you ask.

Loopy777 likes this.
  17. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Palplatine was nowhere around to frak with Anakin's head and boost his ego in this novel, so of course Anakin was well-behaved.

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Huh?

Anakin is usually well-behaved when someone is boosting his ego, and misbehaves when he doesn't have things his way.

C'baoth is a replacement for Palpatine in OF, stroking Skywalker's ego just as often, and spouting all the things Anakin likes to hear, about how those with the Force have great wisdom and power and should use it to control and dominate the galaxy, and Anakin eats it up. Anakin liked C'baoth as much as he liked Palpatine, and I'm sure would have preferred C'baoth over Kenobi as his master.

For some reason Obi-Wan doesn't put up much of an argument against C'baoth, so the bickering we saw in AOTC between Obi-Wan and Anakin doesn't happen. Plus Padme isn't in the picture.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I just remembered C'baoth talking down to both Anakin and Obi-Wan (more so to Obi-Wan) and wondering how the Council dare send more Jedi on the mission. But I have done my best to excise that book from my brain--maybe I was successful. :p

20. Grand Admiral Crumb

Grand Admiral Crumb Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2013
    Wasn't Timothy Zahn told to add Obi-Wan and Anakin to the book?

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know the answer to that but it wouldn't surprise me, given the way Obi-Wan and Anakin seemed almost shoehorned in.

Seems that in another thread in this forum, someone mentioned that Obi-Wan and Anakin were used to sell the book, although the focus of the book was obviously C'baoth and Thrawn.

Using Obi-Wan and Anakin sold me the book; that's the last time I make that mistake. I was beyond disappointed that they appeared so little.

22. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, to be frank, they had nothing to do here. Don't get me wrong, I do like it, but they had nothing to do with C'boath, the OFP and Thrawn in the first place, so it would have been a mistake to involve them further.

23. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Anakin and Obi-Wan being in the book does give us that awesome little moment of Palpatine finding out and having to deal with his plans potentially derailing.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I had hoped the book was going to be about them investigating the project as opposed to their being unnecessary tagalongs. I should have known better given that it is a Zahn book and must therefore be at least half about Thrawn.

I had to make myself finish it.

25. Grand Admiral Crumb

Grand Admiral Crumb Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2013
    anakinfansince1983 Scoundrels doesn't include Mara Jade, Thrawn, or Gilad Pellaeon, so it shows Zahn capable of writing at least one novel without those characters.