main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Wait -- what if he meant his summer?

Jackson you tricky fiend!

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, in his summer we'll get the actual film, so not much point in the trailer... :p

3. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Benedict Cumberbatch interview in Radiotimes. So it appears that Richard Armitage is not the only one whose childhood fantasies were filled with images of pale, enchanted gold, and of long-forgotten treasures laying beneath the Lonely Mountain.

It's heartwarming to know that the film is in such good hands. Not that the latecomers to the tale are any less welcome, of course (to wit, Viggo's excellent turn as Aragorn), but it just gives the filming process an additionnal touch of magic, to know that for some it's the fulfillment of old dreams.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    *sighs* I have to wonder at the insistence for a Aragorn cameo when, at this point in the timeline, he'd be a small child or at best a pre-pubescent lad if PJ felt like mucking with the timeliness further. You'd think he would've hinted at it by showing this sole human lad at Imladris for no good reason whatsoever if only to make us wonder if that's who we think it is. [face_dunno]

5. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    As much as I love Viggo as Aragorn, I don't want him in the Hobbit. At the best, have a teenage human boy run around Imladris in the background, as a nod to the books fans, but I don't think there's any need for the adult Aragorn to appear.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yes, if Jackson had adhered religiously to the book timeline, Aragorn would be ten years old at the time of The Hobbit. However, Jackson eliminated the seventeen-year time gap between Bilbo's party and "The Shadow of the Past", so that would put Aragorn in his late twenties. Can Viggo play a twenty-seven-year-old convincingly?

7. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    With lots of make-up and/or *shudders* CG-assisted de-aging. And we know how *well* that works. [face_plain]

Again, no. No. And NO.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  8. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Actually, I would think that the seventeen year gap was compressed to between six months to a year, rather than being eliminated entirely. Remember, it appeared Gandalf was gone for some time before returning to the Shire since he visited Minas Trith, which is a considerable distance to travel and I don't think he had Shadowfax then. He was also looking for Gollum.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Right, that's actually why I used the phrase "in his late twenties" at first, instead of being more specific.

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You have remember peejay doesn't actually give a toss about the time line (or the books, really) whatsoever. If he wants Aragorn in, he will be in.

11. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    They managed to make Viggo look fairly youngish in that dream sequence from TTT:
    [​IMG]

Granted, he's now ten years older, but I suppose that with the proper makeup (and no beard) they might make him look appropriately 25-ish, or at least 30-ish. Also, taking into account the fact that he told Eowyn in the TTT EE that he was really 87 years old, if the timeline between the LOTR and Hobbit trilogies is about 60 years, it would be feasible. As a final remark, they might also show him in a vaguely intertrilogy setting, when he goes to seek out Gollum and hands him to the Mirkwood Elves, bridging the time gap at the end of TABA, hinting at the upcoming War of the Ring and giving the reason for Legolas's presence at the Council of Elrond.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  12. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    That dream sequence in TTT was supposed to take place within FOTR's timeframe (just after the Council), so I'm not sure why he would look any younger than he does in the rest of the trilogy.

13. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    You make it sound reasonable, almost attractive, Lauré... :p ...but no... no. I'd be happier in the long term if he simply didn't show up. Even though I'd secretly be excited about seeing Viggo play Aragorn again, I know I'd regret it afterwards.

14. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    If WETA can't convincingly make Christopher Lee look 80, I wouldn't trust them with Viggo.

15. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I thought old Bilbo and Saruman were just fine.

16. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    That's fine. I thought they both looked pretty bad, but Saruman's airbrushed face was much more of an eyesore out of the two.

17. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    It looks better on BR/DVD than it did a hundred feet tall in the theater. None of the people I watched it on home vid with -- who had not seen the movie in theaters -- even batted an eye at Saruman's smooth cheeks, and these are critical cienastes here. In short, the effect holds up better on the small screen.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  18. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    This! I've been imagining an "intertrilogy" sequence at the end of Hobbit 3 since the third film was announced. Loose ends and all that. Aragorn would fit right in there.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe Aragorn is a time traveling Doctor Who?

20. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    NO.
    It's The Doctor.
    Or a Gallifreyan/Time Lord, if you don't mean the specific person.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No I mean Dr. Whom.

22. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I think someone somewhere (maybe in this very thread!) semi-convinced me that the 17-year gap didn't happen in PJ's FOTR.. But I maintain it's ambiguous enough -- hobbits age slowly, etc. -- that we can imagine we blinked between Gandalf's leaving and Gandalf's return, and 17 years whizzed by.

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Frankly I thought the gap was kinda silly when I read FOTR way back when. A year or two, maybe, but 17? That's just poor storytelling, IMO.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  24. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Adding a 7 onto an already arbitrary number is poor storytelling? How do you mean?

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm just sayin', why have a gap at all? One year is much more reasonable a time for all the same events to take place; the trip to Minis Tirith, the hunt for Gollum. Anything longer is too long really, and stretches credulity. What does Frodo do during all that time? If I were him I'd have forgotten about the Ring. It's better flow if it all happens close together. I find it hard enough to believe that the events shown in the film lasted a year. But I like how the film does it, making it all seem more condensed.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.