main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit is Chewbacca gonna be revived in the EU over the next two years?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You say that now but who knows what'll happen in the future?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Perhaps, perhaps not. I wouldn't be surprised if they were foolish enough to try it but I can tell you right now that if it does happen, it is going on my list of most appalling moments in the EU. The end of the duel in The Force Unleashed II tops it right now but if Chewie comes back, that will be my number 1 most appalling moment in the EU.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I've lost count of the truly simple yet devastatingly effective concepts storytellers will deploy.

Things that seem absurdly simple, yet if they were so why weren't they done earlier? Because they weren't, yet once they exist it's as if they always have done!

Without knowing the how, it's foolish to rush to judgement. If it is done at all, it will be one of the most stakes moves going and the only rule of making those moves? That you stack the deck in your favour to begin with!

4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Even if they came up with some reasonable, workable explanation for how Chewie can come back after all this time I still probably won't like it. I will probably buy the reason on how he survived but not be okay with him being back. Just seems really tacky to me.

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I don't have a "reasonable, workable" concept in mind, I have a blinder of a move that neither of us can conceptualise yet, when placed in front of us, chances are good the response will be: Yes, like that.

6. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    How can people honestly think that there is even the slightest chance that Chewie wont be in Episode 7?

It blows my mind that some people can be that thick-headed and/or blinded by their devotion to the EU?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So people who don't have the same perception and expectations for the ST that you do, are "thick-headed" or have some other sort of problem?

You could have left your first question as it was and might have sparked some good discussion. I'm not sure why you felt the need to insult people.

Danzo, Jedi Ben and Starkeiller like this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Teleporters. Already part of the universe.

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It amazes me how the EU seems to have replaced common sense.

10. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    We did not replace common sense with the EU.
    We know that Chewbacca will most probably be back because of his popularity. (That's common sense.)
    But we don't like it. (That's the EU.)

Knowing that something is true does not obligate you to like it.

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    A lot of people don't seem to be part of that "we".

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  12. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I never said the contrary, my friend. ;) I just relied on my interlocutor's intelligence to understand that "we" meant "we who complain" in this context.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    fixed (I agree after fixing)

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The EU has been common sense for a sizable population of Star Wars Fans for years.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If common sense ruled the world, none of us would be here posting!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Idc if the ST preserves the "integrity" of the EU or not but I already made a post on why Chewie might not be in the sequels regardless of if anyone on the production staff has read Vector Prime.

The fact is that he's not a major character and shouldn't be shoved into the movie if the story has nothing for him to do. It's a toss-up, there's just no way to know at this point.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Wait, what? Why? you jump through a retcon hoops to get Chewie into the ST so it all fits then you kill him off again? Don't get that part.

18. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    This is Star wars we're talking about here. They threw Chewie into Episode III and made him friends with Yoda for god knows what reason . . . they're not going to ignore it if there's even the slightest chance some fans might like it then they will do it.

Not trying to insult people. The lack of logic is astounding though.
    I'm not saying people are "stupid", just blinded by their love of the EU such that they can't see the obvious.

I love the EU just as much if not more than any of them and if it were up to me Episode 7 would follow the EU to the letter. But i'm a realist and the quality of films is more important. I'd rather have great films than crap films that follow the EU.

19. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    And yet again, these are two different things altogether. Being sure that he will be in the movie doesn't prevent from disliking that move because of one's love for the EU...

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    What gives you the authority on what is "obvious"?

And as far as "blinded by their love of the EU", if you are not trying to insult people, you are at best trying to make the situation about individual posters instead of the topic.

So again, why not just ask people why they are assuming that Chewie won't appear, rather than committing Internet psychoanalysis and condemning their alleged motives?

21. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Ok but I never said anything about liking the movie or not?

22. DarthKrayt

DarthKrayt Jedi Knight

Sep 19, 2007
    Didn't Lucas sign off on major decisions, such as Chewie dying? And they already said they are using Lucas' story treatments for the next 3 movies, so it would make absolutely no sense that Lucas would sign off on his death, then include him in the next movie. Therfore, Chewie will probably be in the next movie.

23. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Condemning motives? psychoanalyses? You are reading waaaaaaaayy too much into things.

You don't have to get upset everytime someone posts something you don't like bro, this is the internet. It's going to happen.

Life will be more enjoyable if you just relax, trust me ;)

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL wut?

What's up with you turning conversations about Star Wars topics into discussions about individual posters and then offering condescending "advice" to people who call you on that? I've seen it more than once.

Here's a thought: some people will want Chewbacca's EU fate not to be retconned. And will say so.

But you don't have to get upset every time someone posts something you don't like--sis. ;) This is the Internet. People will have different opinions on what should happen in the ST. Life will be more enjoyable if you just relax, trust me. ;)

25. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Simple. Less anger and hostility --> calmer mind --> peaceful --> you'll be happier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.