main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY The late Wonderfest thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedimika, May 15, 2013.

1. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Yeah, I should have started this thread earlier for anyone that wanted to do planning. At least you can tell stories and share pictures for those of us that couldn't make it.

What's the word Jammies? Do you have a worthy entry for this year?

2. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    I am working on something, hopefully it will get done before Saturday.

3. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  4. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Awww yeeeeah that rocks.

5. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    WWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Awesome my Jammies! Unfortunately for me, I wont make it out for this one. Yea all of that stinky stuff in a hat. :(

7. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Stang.
    I hate judges.

Boo.

8. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    No. I do not hate judges.
    I am just tired and disappointed. 7th year doing this contest, and 3rd in a row without winning anything. Winning isn't why I am in the hobby, and sour grapes is not my style, and not my favorite fruit.
    But, after last year-- I went to past judges, and even the grand poo-baah of Wonderfest, for the "what am I doing wrong, what things do I need to work on" type coaching. And I did ALL of those things. Grand Poobah even helped with some "along the way" tips as I was working on my kit. And, at noon on Saturday, I entered one of my strongest kits I ever put into any show.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1155...5879415540643460434&oid=115549746726410540917

I know right, it does look cool! It had lights too, and not just engine lights but cockpit and head lights and the kit is the size of the palm of my hand. That isn't from a lighting kit-- I taught myself how to hook up and solder LEDs.

So, to do all that, and to go out and get help and correct wrongs and do what the judges had said they look for-- and to not get recognized for it-- is a major bummer. So, I have some wind out of my sails now, and I may need to take a year off from the contest. As a whole, this was a great weekend. I went to every "how to" panel I could. I missed my LGA peeps, but I got to see some of my modeling buds, made some black market deals that Disney need not know about, saw some home town nerds of mine, and had a good lesson at Airbrush 101. Not a lot of Sci Fi models to look at in the contest this year (more horror, and figures), but some cool kits that I couldn't afford to buy (Victory-Class star destroyer was so cool! 18 inches of awesome, but with a price tag to match).

So. That is that. See you all soon.
    MTFBWY
    Jammies
    PS: Next X-wing game we have, I am playing with the "steller envoy" while lit, with Chewie. I mean, this hobby is supposed to be fun right? Nothing more fun then playing with your toys with friends.
    PSS: In retrospect, I should have hired Vox to smash every trek kit.

9. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Sorry you couldn't be there Zannah.

Sorry you didn't take home any honors Jammies, looking through those photos I don't see anything better than what you brought to the table. The only things that gave me a little thrill were the Star Trek Doomsday Machine (never seen anyone do that) and the "Order of the Stick" figures. Otherwise I don't see much that impresses me. It is neat to see there were some "prop" entries if I'm judging those pictures correctly. Maybe I will enter something next year if I'm off that weekend.

PS: Stupid Trek! (but I did kinda like the new movie [face_blush])

10. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    Yes, yes you should have. Your kit looked awesome bro. You should have gotten something

11. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  12. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Yeah, looks even better in that pic. I just noticed the base(s). Was it hard to get all 4 lined up right and the right height?

13. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    You know, a week later, it IS A NICE LOOKING KIT! Karf contests, art is subjective. It's cool looking.

It also has (I noticed) a blue thumb print on the bottom. So. Yah. That might have been a good reason why it didn't pick anything up. Regardless: it is a good reason to wash one's hands before entering a model into a show.

Mika it took seconds to pop it on the bases, which boads well for using it for X-wing games (which is why I built it anyway).

14. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    Just had an awesome idea for the X-wings game. Have the steller envoy fight against the falcon. Past and present(?) duke it out!

15. Darth Lupine

Darth Lupine Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 14, 2013
    THAT didn't get an award?! I've been building models since I was five, and painting miniatures for wargames for the last fifteen years, and that is one awesome ship. Damn, that's an injustice. You need to bring that in so I can shoot it down with my Interceptors....lol