main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Is EU continuity going to be respected in ST? Shouldn't we do something to ensure it is?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Nerdling, Apr 21, 2013.

1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah, the old "how dare they exceed the movies! Those upstaging bastards!!!1!1!" schtick was really tired before I even joined the boards. How DARE Luceno take the EU in a new direction, instead of tired rehashes of the films. How DARE he innovate.

@FatSmel- nobody expects the Mousequisition!

Mia Mesharad and Esg like this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Ewoks kicking ass didn't convince me that the Empire wasn't a great threat, only that the Emperor had gotten overconfident.

The Vong was a different kind of threat, a kind that Luke and Co. had never encountered before. The Empire wasn't exactly shunning technology nor did the Empire's agents believe that self-inflicted pain or pain inflicted upon them by the enemy was a good thing. The NJO and the New Republic had to learn how an entirely different type of enemy operated before that enemy could be defeated. It had nothing to do with whether that enemy was a "greater" threat than the Empire; there was no threat-scale involved.

A similar comparison could be made in Plagueis; the old Sith Order was certainly a genuine threat to the Jedi but these Sith fought the Jedi in the open. Plagueis, and Palpatine with him, decided to bring the Sith back in a way that the Jedi would not expect--more discreetly, by infiltrating the government. That did not mean that Plagueis and Palpatine were a "greater" threat (I've only read one Old Republic book and haven't played the games so I don't know for sure) but it did mean that they were a different type of threat.

themetresgained and Esg like this.
  3. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    But muh George's vision!

RC-1991 likes this.
  4. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    First Obama will take your guns, then you're EU Star Wars books. Next, you're replica Lightsabers and hordes of old LFL merchandise. Is there no end!!!

But seriously, about 3 months before the Disney sale I was looking at the selves of Star Wars books and though "you know what, Star Wars is dead". And I got arid of all but LOTF: Betrayal, because I hadn't even bothered to read it yet. I loaded them up in trash bags and took them to a used book store. And those they didn't take when to a comic book/rpg store. They bought the paperbacks, but the hard covers had no value to them, so I ended up just leaving them for nothing. My personal Star Wars Library, 1991-2012, RIP.

Then I heard the news...

5. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    I would certainly be annoyed if the Post-ROTJ EU gets totally over-written, but if the movies are really good and some of the EU tied in, I can run with it.... just as long as they don't try and mess with the pre-TPM, if they tried to rewrite the Old Sith Wars era..... I wouldn't have words to explain how furious I would be.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You got ripped off.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually did change the Pre TPM era.

8. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    Which would be the end of my enjoyment of this franchise, the Pre-TPM(Well given Darth Plagueis, technically it's during as well.) is far more consistent and IMO is a much better story than the Skywalker saga (My personal nickname for the entire Post-ROTJ era) the Old Republic era is far more coherent and is by long and far my favourite part of the Star Wars franchise, I simply hope they forget it even exists and for some inexplicable reason simply forget that anything happens before TPM, because then my era remains untouched and I can carry on enjoying the Star Wars.

Minez01 likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    People will demand to see massive Jedi vs Sith battles on the big screen sooner or later. It might happen in the ST but I doubt it Pre TPM we will go.

10. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    This is my exception to the rule, they can make as many films on the Great Galactic War (SWTOR) as they like, just so long as they touch nothing else, SWTOR is hardly concrete so there is nothing to mess up as it were.

Esg likes this.
  11. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    What I don't get is why they have to set their new trilogy in the post-ROTJ era where it will almost certainly screw up existing continuity. Why not just set it in the Old Republic era, or far off in the future? You don't need to have Han, Luke and Leia...KOTOR, the PT and a whole bunch of other works showed us you could have interesting stories without them. And besides, I don't think the Big Three have that much more room for character development, and in fact I found them to be some of the less interesting characters in the EU.

Esg likes this.
  12. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Why would that upset you?

13. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    Because the Old Republic era is far far better than anything they could make for the 'general viewing audience', the storyline is consistent and well mapped out, with a lot of collaboration between writers, I can only imagined how much would get retconned for no good reason and how many totally bizarre changes would be made to 'fit' the Star Wars vision, to the point where the great and unrivalled Star Wars stories become nothing but a shadow of their former selves.

14. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    So you're worried that they will stop making good stories in that era that fit the current continuity?

15. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    I am worried the 'current continuity' won't exist anymore.

Esg likes this.
  16. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It would annihilate suspension of disbelief

17. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I'm not sure I understand? Why wouldn't it exist? If the stories are good who cares if some random businessmen decide it's "official continuity"

I'm going to have to google that

EDIT: ok i think i understand. Enjoyment of the stories will be less because it doesn't have official seal and hence isn't considered "real"?

18. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    It matters because if said stories become non-canon, those stories see no more development and instead of focusing on things like the Rule of Two Sith I can imagine very easily that we'll see retcon-mania with the 'original' background to the Sith replacing the previous work, in-fact I can see that being almost a definite.

It is then the really worrying ideas like 'the Sith Emperor Vitiate is *shock horror* Palpatne' or something equally ludicrous.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I can understand that. It would be annoying knowing that no more stories can be told in a setting that you enjoy because it's "non-canon"

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Which is why most of us that love the Post ROTJ EU don't want the ST to ruin it.

21. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    Plot points aren't finished, outright stories needing further chapters and conclusions themselves don't get endings, the whole process of mass retconns doesn't just mean a particular piece becomes non-canon, but the entirety of those stories themselves cannot be finished off and will be stuck on the 'official' shelf to gather dust and when you consider just how intertwined many of these stories are, it would take so much band aiding and retelling that it wouldn't be worth the bother of saving because the stories themselves would change so much as to become unrecognisable to the previous incarnation.

22. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Yeah personally i think that if they do override Post ROTJ-EU it can only be made better.

They've killed off all the interesting characters anyway. Luke/Leia/Han are old, Jaina/Jag/Ben are generic and boring. Tahiri has been ruined.

23. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    NJO Era died for me with the whole Traviss debacle, I no longer have any true love left for it.

24. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Some people will say that the EU was ruined a long time ago. When the PT came out the walked over a lot of the EU concepts of the Clone Wars, etc.

25. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    That's a poor comparison for the sheer fact of the magnitude of modern day EU works compared to the relatively small works you refer to, if they retcon certain elements, the entirety of the EU could be destroyed.