main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Movie theater contraband

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , May 19, 2013.

?

Do you like sneaking in stuff when going to the cinema?

1. Yes!

30 vote(s)
    61.2%
  2. No.

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. This poll stinks, schmuck. You should feel bad.

10 vote(s)
    20.4%
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I don't know about you, but I'd rather enjoy sneaking in those tiny shot bottles of liquor, in part to mix with an ICEE (now that's a treat!). It always makes for an interesting experience.

VanishingReality likes this.
  2. JangoMike

JangoMike Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    Sneaking??? I take a backpack full of goodies when I take the family out to the movies....Soda, Candy, Cheeseburgers whatever........the trick is to look mean and frustrated because the kids are "acting up", wear sunglasses, and act annoyed when they ask for the tickets, they will just let you walk on by...........

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Sneak in water all the time. I get thirsty and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $4 just to not thirst.

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I've snuck in burgers, which was good. During Bad Boys 2 we snuck in beers in the mrs giant purse. After each was finished they were deposited under seat. Which was fine, until I kicked back and sent about four bottles rolling away in front of us. The film sucked as well.

heels1785 likes this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I think they'd let you go anyway. They're on minimum wage, and they work in a thankless environment. I doubt they actually give a ****.

JangoMike likes this.
  6. JangoMike

JangoMike Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    You do have a point....

However, the kids still think its hilariously funny when I explain to them whats happening and to do their parts and "act" out as best they can..............

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Hey, if its for the kids....ninja that ****.

JangoMike likes this.
  8. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    This. Also I like to sneak in other beverages depending on what movie we're seeing. I brought a fifth of rum into POTC4....it didn't help.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  9. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Theaters make their money on concessions, and not on ticket sales which mostly go to the studios. So with that in mind, I buy snacks at the stand.

Booze is another matter, since they don't sell booze. But regular snacks, I choose to support the theaters since I'd like to see them continue to operate

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    This? You aren't going to thirst while sitting through a three hour film. You may which you did, but that's another issue.

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Oh, I buy stuff. Mainly those Icees. But I will not pay for their water.

DarthTunick likes this.
  12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Every theatre near me is part of a chain, which means they know how to make money. Therefore I don't give a **** if they make money off me or not.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Also, I love JangoMike and may follow his lead just to make my kiddos smile.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I always bring my own water bottle. And occasionally bring candy as well. My friend who loves his snacks hides them all in my cargo pockets, with the caveat that I get as much as I want of his stuff.

I'm not worried about the theaters not making money, though, since I always buy their popcorn. ;)

15. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    What kind of ruffian eats during the movie? Good god show some class people. This ain't your damn living room!

EDIT -- I smuggle in Sno Caps.

thesevegetables likes this.
  16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm in the Vivec camp; it's frankly way too dry where I live to go that long without some water and I refuse to buy a bottle of water when I have my own damn canteen.

17. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Yes, they are all chains. But those chains won't exist if their business model no longer works.

18. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    [​IMG]

19. Bender666

Bender666 Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I had a king can(the beer type) roll down the aisle on me when I was a teenager. Ever notice how long things take to roll when people are staring at you?

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Their business model, generally, consists of charging $4 for a soda. So **** 'em.

21. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    That's how they make money, they make nothing on ticket sales. If they weren't doing that, they would be charging 40 bucks a ticket

22. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Fair enough, but funny...I never go to the movies to buy overpriced concessions. I go to see a movie. Anyway, depending on what film it is I usually sneak booze in. When I take my kids to a movie I may occasionally break down and buy popcorn, but I will almost certainly smuggle in a bottle of water. I won't have my kids drinking soda on my watch, and certainly not at inflated movie theater prices.

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Then things have changed. When I worked at a movie theatre, albeit 15 years ago, they made 25% of ticket sales. I was also chastised for not getting the extra 50c by persuading people to go from M to L.

I've defended you many times, Major. I've made a comms thread in your defence.
    But on this you stand alone, my friend.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  24. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I enjoyed that thread, by the way. :D

25. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I've been averse to this ever since I had to sit next to some sweaty guy who managed to sneak an entire bucket of KFC into the theater in with him. I was with my niece seeing WALL-E in a packed theater, trying to enjoy the film, and getting hit every so often with the shrapnel from this guy's chicken. I flagged down an usher and the guy was ejected from the theater. I saw him there a few weeks later in line for another movie with yet another bucket of chicken poorly concealed under his jacket. Again, I informed the staff and that guy was banned from the theater for life.

VanishingReality likes this.