main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    It was ok. But u r right, they could have gone more original.

But I was again tired of the DAMN LENS FLARES!!!! I could see once in a while, but in nearly every scene on board the ship?!?!
    It got ti be distracting as hell!!! Might as well have renamed it USS Lens Flare

DarthBreezy likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Hey that's where I go to get all my reviews!! Small world.

3. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Oh I love this lens flare debate we always have here. Its like whenever things get boring its like: "No new interviews? No new stuff? Darn.....How about them lens flares!?!" *cue war* ;)

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I felt like there were less in this one than in 09, but still too many for my tastes. The "shaky cam" didn't seem as bad this time either.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  5. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

Well, it's another chance to see his directing style - I hadn't seen his first Trek outing, and I HATED Super 8 (and the Lens flare in THAT made me think there was something wrong with my TV) so I stand by my assertion that JJ needs to lay off After Effects.

6. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I'm sure these things are tweaked heavily in post (obviously they're not filming lens flares in space), but I was under the impression that he was literally on set waving lights back and forth past the camera. You know, for "teh realism."

7. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Aww, you didn't like Super 8? Why so?

8. Evil--Yoda

Evil--Yoda Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 11, 2012
    Little known fact about the lens flare: It was not actually an after effect. They actually had a light on wheels that they would roll around on each set.

9. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I think JJ just hates retinas. :)

10. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    It felt like a bad M Night Shamalin movie, and GOD THE LENS FLARES....

11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, the lens flare thing is really starting to hurt JJ's rep. He claims he's aware of it, and intends to tone it down. We'll see, I guess.

12. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Isn't the writing team more to blame about the new Trek feeling derivative?

Given Abrams' professed love of SW, the fact he said it will be comforting to bring issues to Lucas, something that he said he regretted he couldn't do with Roddenberry, and the fact that this is a ST and not a reboot like ST, I'm not worried.

Darth Claire likes this.
  13. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Did Orci and Kurtzman hold a gun to JJ's head (while mumbling something about false flag terrorism) and make him use the script?

14. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I think he cuts them slack because they're his buddies, and claim to be Star Trek fans. He probably takes them at their word on some of the story decisions, since he wasn't a Trek fan himself. Unfortunately, they've never been to a science class, or they would know you can't save a planet by countering a supernova with a blackhole. When he's on his own, his writing isn't half bad, IMO.

15. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Not being able to say no to friends is not something that we would let Lucas get away with, and is nothing something people let Spielberg get away with on KOTCS.

FRAGWAGON and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  16. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Agreed, which is why I'm hoping Arndt will be a good influence.

17. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    These two years are gonna be a morbid rollercoaster of emotions, opinions and overanalysis on bad acid.

18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    If anyone feels the need to discuss plot points from Star Trek Into Darkness, please do so within spoiler tags.

Thank you for your obedience
    :p

19. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Also, moving forward, all "non-tagged" spoilers will be deleted. Additionally, any more commentary about the new Trek movie that has nothing to do with Ep.7 will be deleted as off-topic.

JainaSoloYJK, stormcloud8 and eht13 like this.
  20. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    One more thing: this thread is 114 pages long, and lense flare jokes got old 113 pages ago. Let it go, people...just let it go...

21. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
  22. A Tool

A Tool Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    I loved Into Darkness! It's got me really excited for Star Wars VII. =3
    Never been a Trek fan until the new movies, though. =/

23. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    I enjoyed STID for what it was, but I still think it would be hillarious if Episode VII ended with:
    Luke getting frozen in carbonite or one of the heroes discovering the Sith villain is their father. The same people defending STID ripping off WOK would flip their spit! [face_laugh]

Arawn_Fenn and LawJedi like this.
  24. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I just saw STID today and really enjoyed it. Now that being said, Abrams didn't write SW Ep 7, he's being given a script to work with, correct? If that's the case, I doubt we'll see any parallels to STID.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, guess I missed the ninja space turtles and racial stereotyping in Super Eight.

Oh, right, I didn't. Abrams is a vastly better director than Bay could ever be.

Grand_Moff_Jawa and Darth_Pevra like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.