main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    This series could be really awesome if Greg Weisman is really involved. But that will probably mean it will be awesome, but at the same time, this show won't last past two Seasons, if Weisman's other three shows are any indication. The Spectacular Spider Man and Young Justice were both cancelled after two Seasons, while Weisman was kicked off Gargoyles and the show dropped majorly in quality.

2. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Eh? Vader is vastly more intimidating and formidable in TFU2 than in ANH. I agree that the extent of the Alliance's victory is incongruous with the line in ANH that the theft of the Death Star plans was the Alliance's first major victory, but Vader was far more of a badass in TFU2 than in any of the films.

Ulicus likes this.
  3. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Vader is more cunning then you suspect. Read Marvel Star Wars and Classic Star Wars for proof

RC-1991 and Ulicus like this.
  4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That works for me if it's pre-Dark Times because I don't need to worry too much about it.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I admit I haven't read the Marvel or Classical comics and intend to rectify the situation asap but Vader wanting to pull something off like that just doesn't seem like him to me.

6. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    That sounds bad. R2 should not be with Ashoka during the Dark Times era. He should be with 3PO and Bail Organa serving Alderaan.

Esg likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Except there is a whole series out called Droids where R2-D2 and C-3PO aren't with Bail Organa on Alderaan. So it very well could happen.

8. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Right, but that wasn't very long I don't think.

Esg likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    15 episodes for the TV series set in 15 BBY. The comic series was closer to ANH. Not sure when exactly. They very well could have Ashoka and R2 meeting up again sometime in that time period.

10. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I am not sure why people are assuming that the new series will star Ahsoka with R2, that seems to just be an assumption that DelRiego made that I didn't see from reading the TF.N article. This is the particular excerpt in question:
    Nowhere in this comment or in the article does it assume the new series would star Ahsoka hanging out with R2-D2, people are reading too much into that last sentence. A statue of Ahsoka in Filoni's office/home really should not be surprising, given his affection for the character, but I don't see how this relates to R2 other than the fact he has a model of the astromech. There is an icon of a Togruta on Filoni's desktop, but that isn't necessarily relevant and just a guess on the commenter's part.

11. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    so i basically don't keep up with this show at all, which is actually kind of amazing because when i do check in every six months or so there's always something absolutely baffling going on and i wind up just kinda blinking at the thing i'm watching and then backing away reallllly slowly. last time it was darth maul being king of the mandalorians for some reason; this time it's yoda escaping house arrest (by the jedi council?) using anakin and a fisher-price toy.

its just so gloriously insane when you don't have any context

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Quite honestly the context doesn't add much. What you said basically covers it.

Did you hear the one about Barriss Offee the terrorist?

JackG likes this.
  13. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    i... what?

Zorrixor, Esg, RC-1991 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Read this. It's short.

Edit: I should add that this is why I no longer hold back critiquing Filoni's storytelling. IMO this is way worse than Mauldalore.

15. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    ohhh right, i did remember hearing something about barriss going dark or whatever, although i didn't know the details.

which... well i guess i see what you mean about context not helping!

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Darth Vader is Evil Batman. But with superpowers too.

Dante1120 likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The context doesn't change the fact that it was done for shock value and because Filoni needed someone to "betray" Ahsoka and didn't bother planning for that ahead of time.

Still didn't work as if I have a BFF by whom I'd feel betrayed, I generally talk to that person more than 10 minutes every few years.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  18. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, I'm not pissed because she was a character I really liked. She was always sort of a dimbat in the EU (she screwed up the mission how many times in Approaching Storm? and in Medstar she didn't do a whole lot besides sit around and get stoned). But there was absolutely no reason to pick her as a character to bomb the temple and betray Ahsoka, aside from the fact it was the one character we least expected (because it didn't make a lick of sense!!!)

Not to mention Filoni GAVE AWAY the entire plot twist a week before the episode aired! That's just horrific storytelling to the max. If he were part of the Doctor Who production team they'd exile him from the British Isles.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Now I really want to read Medstar.

The least Filoni could have done was given Anakin one more line in Barriss' quarters in The Wrong Jedi:

"Remember that day on Ansion when we saw each other naked?"

20. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Was this in an interview? I remember Barriss' obvious reactions in that one episode. That gave it away completely.

Esg likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It was in the commentary for "To Catch a Jedi." The paraphrase of his statement was that he thought most people had picked up on who the culprit was by now, that he knew some people would be upset, but that's just how the Clone Wars is sometimes.

Translation: I did it for shock value and because I could, and because I couldn't have possibly thought ahead of time and created a real friend to "betray" Ahsoka, so I retconned an existing character and told you that you're supposed to believe they've been good friends off screen for three years. Oh, you don't like it? Tough ****, that's just how TCW is.

GunganSlayer and Esg like this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    The end of episode 19's commentary vid on the OS.

23. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Oh, I don't watch those. :p

24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    For better or worse, I don't blame him for spoiling it--if anything, he was apologizing for how obvious it was already. If someone watched that video and genuinely didn't know, his comments wouldn't have made it any clearer. For the rest of us, it gave us an extra week to come to terms with it.

25. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, since subtlety is often one of TCW's many strengths. :p

Even aside from the blatant EU trampling, it was also just such a lazy solution, and an incomplete one at that. Barriss had only had a speaking role back in season 2, so unless someone had been watching for at least four years, they still wouldn't have any idea who Barriss was. Well, there's the novels, but those mesh even less with TCW. Aside from maybe a random cameo here and there for Bariss and various other Jedi, but only hardcore fans could probably keep track of all those. And they still never explained how Barriss did all that- Force strangling someone from far away, faking holo-footage, getting all that advanced tech. If it had been a Seperatist scheme, then they would've just given the tech to some disgruntled citizens through some random middleman, have Dooku show up by hologram to gloat, and that would just be another typical episode. Barriss? Yeah, did she defect to Dooku's side, have any contact, what? But that's TCW for you. Heck, even in the finale itself Anakin asks the obvious of why Barriss kept incriminating evidence in her room.

While the commentary vids are often annoying, at least he didn't pretend it was the wrong conclusion, and just said it was the obvious answer and deal with it. It still doesn't excuse the shoddy storytelling, or why they couldn't have just come up with a new "friend" for Ahsoka, a few lines of dialogue to establish her or him as a longtime off-screen friend and that would avoid at least some of the complaints. Well, the new character would have been the obvious culprit, but again, its not like they care about subtlety. Unless they didn't have money to animate a new character after spending so much on animating Gascon (since for some reason they put a lot of faith into those episodes... no idea why, but that's TCW logic for you).