main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    At this point, could we blame them for telling a Death Star plans story? It's not like the EU has been at all respectful of that topic thus far.

2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I would still be better idea to combine all sources in a single, cohesive storyline rather than making another one.

3. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    This looks...interesting. Lots of potential here, especially if they use original stories as opposed to rehashing. Unfortunate that it's on Disney XD though.

Most likely CE2 (which is about that long :p)

4. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    I'd feel more comfortable if Dark Horse would do the canon Dark Times animated series REBELS and Filoni would be doing the McQuarrie styled Star Wars original script that is noncanon/AU....

spicer likes this.
  5. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    so.. any thoughts if this new series will be on starwars com like TCW for all worldwide day after airing?

6. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    The only reason I am actually excited is Greg Weisman. Hopefully this series can survive beyond two Seasons. And, Weisman seems big on linear storylines, if Spectacular Spider-Man and Young Justice are to go by, so maybe this will actually focus on one continuiing storyline, as opposed to The Clone Wars.

7. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Well, we'll see how this goes.

The good thing about the particular time period is that Lucasfilm has practically had it all off limits (for potential future projects such as this one) so hopefully we won't see too much of the EU being messed around with. The bad news, at least for me, is that this pretty much confirms what we already knew: the LAS is dead for sure. I think the time period would have worked great for a live action show, but I'll remain cautiously optimistic with this new series. I'm curious if the truck load of LAS scripts will be re-purposed for this show?

The name of "Star Wars: Rebels" already gives me a bad vibe. They originally promised to show a decent balance of both the CIS and the Republic in TCW (harkening back to the "heroes on both sides" from AOTC's opening scroll). As we know, that never really panned out, and it was a completely missed opportunity by the show and its creators to really delve into some interesting and topical subjects and themes. Instead, the show degraded into little more than standard incompetent villains (let's not even start on Dooku's handling) and the "good guys" winning all the time.

With a name like "Rebels," I'm already expecting the same outcomes, maybe even amplified. We know the CIS had countless leaders and citizens who really believed in their cause, who believed that their own futures were best served by forming a new government. The Empire, too, had support from citizens as well. With a galaxy and population as large as that in SW, there's no way The Empire could have survived as it did if at least a rather sizable amount of the populace supported and advocated for it. Will we ever see any of this? With an animated series known as "Star Wars: Rebels," I doubt we ever will.

Which is a shame, because there's so much you could do with those ideas.

DarkSapiens likes this.
  8. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
  9. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    The final arc of TCW went out of its way to show anti-Jedi sentiment forming in the general populous BEFORE Ep III, something that was sorely needed to make sense of everything that even the EU rarely touched upon. If Filoni allowed it there, he'll allow it to be seen in the Imperial camp. After all, the Onderon arc also argued for the rebels being terrorists in the eyes of some.

I suspect we'll see an extension of these themes, and this is not a bad thing.

10. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Well, considering that this must inevitably act as a sequel to TCW, it would be a very dumb move indeed to present the Empire as the epitome of evil. Not that it can't happen, but casual TCW viewers will jump into this with preconceptions about clone troopers etc that will need to be addressed.

And I guess this is the final product that will cover the long-maintained off-limits zone 18 - 0 BBY. Although, since I don't believe the history of the Rebellion will be rewritten for the reasons others have mentioned (well, singular reason: The Force Unleashed), I guess this will be after 2 BBY.

Anyway, I really should not care about this, as it is a non-Lucas Disney product. Let's wait and see.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The seven stages of Filoni project grief, as told through the power of Seinfeld:

Disbelief

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anger

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Horror

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rejection

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[Broken up because of image limits]

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    More anger

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dejection

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mockery

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm glad I just got a bottle of scotch.

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

AdmiralNick22 , JackG, credar and 4 others like this.
  14. DarkSapiens

DarkSapiens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2005
    This is what makes me think it will happen much earlier (from the press release):
    "Star Wars Rebels takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape."

15. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Face the fact that I'm a humorless son of a gun already. o_O

Then maybe it'll be pre-official Rebellion. I don't know, for some reason, I really can't see them contradicting those two games. It guess I see that godforsaken cliffhanger as, quite literally, ransom.

I just finished one yesterday. Now all I got is cognac. I guess its mellower effect helped me accept this news more optimistically. [:D]

CooperTFN likes this.
  16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  17. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
  18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Not surprising news after the rumors, but still not celebrating. Not quite panicking but not happy. There goes that era- now they'll have even more chances to run over the Coruscant Nights novels and rewrite Rebel Alliance founding history and I'm still Death Star plans will be involved at some point.

Neither executive producer makes me optimistic either. We're already quite familiar with TCW, and Gargyoles was great, and Spectacular Spiderman was pretty good, but a lot of episodes involved the heroes winning a minor local victory but still end up furthering the bad guys' plans, and ending on cliffhangers and villains always planning for almost everything with clueless heroes. It got especially bad with Young Justice and the Light and the young black-ops heroes upstaging everyone else.

19. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Based on what TCW became I'm thinking Filoni has a bunch of bridges to build before I can really even consider giving this series a chance.

I mean without Lucas involved will he actually try to be canon compliant? Thats how he always sounded in his TCW interviews, as in he would be that way but George had final say.

We shall see.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I wonder if they're going to be cannibalizing any of the Underworld scripts for this?

21. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Do they even exist? :p

Maybe it was another way of calming fans down. I doubt the LAS will happen.

22. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Assuming Underworld is DOA they will likely do that.

It is a great shame that we could have had a live action Star Wars series set in the Dark Times, something along the lines of a Galactica or Game of Thrones calibur of production.

And instead we will be getting this.

Meebur Gascon commanding the Rebel Alliance and Borkus running the Cantina in Mos Eisley. Great.

Mia Mesharad and spicer like this.
  23. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Needs more Ahsoka

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah, today is a good day to be a black-hearted cynic.

Filoni, you have your work cut out for you.

To be honest, the question of how of the EU will be handled overall in SW is much closer on the horizon than this show; I can't really get worked up about something that there's a good chance I won't be bothering to watch anyways.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The claim was the scripts were done, it was just a problem of budgeting costs.