main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series How much of "The Clone Wars" should be in "Rebels"?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    How much?

Should certain clone wars characters return in some form?

Ahsoka? Rex? Cad Bane? Ventress? etc

Or maybe even more minor ones? (An idea of mine is have a member of the younglings of the young jedi arc, that survived the temple attack)

If you think some should return, should they be main or recurring, or perhaps only have a one time appearance?

Though if something like this happens, we can be presented with older forms of the character depending on whether or not Rebels takes place not far after the clone wars, or later in the 19 yr span of the dark times.

Or should Rebels just be a show about all new characters?

What about technology? Should Rebels try to basically only emulate the tech presented in the OT? Such as star destroyers shown only being this type

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_I-class_Star_Destroyer

With storm troopers, clones or not, just having stormtrooper armor and wielding stormtrooper weapons, etc.

Or should Rebels present a combination of a mixture of PT and OT era technology. In other words Rebels could show some stormtroopers (clones) still using Phase II clonetrooper armor, and even show the star destroyers of the clone wars, the Venator class, still being in service with the Imperial class, though obviously being phased out.

What are your thoughts about all of this?

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  2. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    I personally hope it's an anthology-style show, with very few arcs focusing on the same characters and settings. Perhaps one audience go-between, either a crew or a single character, who travels around trying to unite rebel factions, exploring the different ideologies present therein (some paramilitary insurgents like on Onderon, some Separatist holdovers, some Bothan spy groups, some political loyalists, some more violent outer rim pirate groups, etc).

So, with that in mind, previous characters from TCW could be parts of those, but I'd hope we'd see a neutral party as the central characters.

As far as technology, it's obvious that they'll show the phases in between the two trilogies. Like Pablo Hidalgo said in the announcement video, the McQuarrie designs will be a few generations removed from what we see in the films because they're essentially earlier prototypes. I'd actually love to see the process of funneling all that tech to the rebel groups.

3. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    This should be a good and spirited discussion.

With Filoni still helming this series as a co-director, I expect that we will inevitably see at least some elements of TCW in Rebels (should we call it SWR?). For example, I imagine we'll certainly get an appearance(s) from Ahsoka as a minor character, and perhaps have her ultimate fate resolved in the show. I would like to see more of Captain Rex for sure, especially if the series takes place shortly after or a few years after RotS. However, I felt Rex's fate should have been resolved in TCW, so if it's not done in the bonus content, then there is a gap between the end of TCW and the beginning of Rebels where we have no idea what happened to him. Did he stay loyal to the Republic during Order 66 and join the rest of the 501st in committing Jedi genocide? Did he desert, die, or get demoted so that Commander Appo takes over the 501st? I personally would like to see Rex as a deserter and one of the characters starting small insurrections during the early or middle years of the Empire, but I admit seeing Rex the stormtrooper would be intriguing.

Cad Bane should definitely feature in the new series if his fate isn't resolved in the bonus content. I want to see the ultimate showdown between him and Boba Fett in which the Mandalorian bounty hunter takes his place as the galaxy's top mercenary. Asajj Ventress should definitely make an appearance, especially in Underworld-centric episodes. There are so many paths they can take with her character, I'd love to see what they have in store for her. Other minor characters like Hondo Ohnaka and Aurra Sing could also make appearances. Maybe throw in Bo-Katan if they choose to revisit Mandalore (that's on my wish list!). If Maul's fate is still unresolved by the bonus content, I'd want him to be finished off in this series, as well as Mother Talzin. Brief cameo appearances from Obi-Wan and Yoda are almost a given. The show of course will need to have Bail Organa and Mon Mothma in significant roles, and likely Ackbar as well. Hmmmm, maybe add Quinlan Vos again? Though hopefully they don't retcon his post-RotS backstory...

But in any case, they need to star and add new characters to keep the show fresh and make it distinct from TCW. They can feature an ensemble cast like TCW but still follow the stories of many minor characters while keeping a fairly linear storyline with good character and plot development. It's a large galaxy after all, so please explore it!

Depending on where in the 19-year time period the show begins, I'd expect technology that slowly transitions from the Clone Wars era Republic to the OT-era Empire. So a mixture of PT and OT technology makes sense, especially if they will cover a large portion of the time period. I'd expect we should see the standard stormtroopers of the OT throughout the show though.

And space battles. Lots of glorious space battles.

4. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Of course this is strictly opinion based, but I would like to see a good portion of TCW in the new series. Not 100%, but at least a good 30%. Here's my rational:

You have 20 years to cover. TCW only had 3. Like I said in another thread, I think TCW rushed through their "3 years" too quick. In the end it worked out because it got canceled. Now here is the boring, business details: is Disney going to go for the "5 season" target with this new series? Or will they try and go 7, 10 or longer? If they are going short term 1-3 seasons, then they should start CLOSER to ANH, which I think it limits what you can bring over from TCW. Not to mention you paint yourself in a corner with time, and you lose 10 to 15 years (assuming you start 5 years before ANH).

But back on topic. If they start this series within a year or two of the events of ROTS, then there is a LOT of opportunity to use TCW content. For once I'll be optimistic and say there can be a balance of new and TCW material. I think this will satify OT fans and TCW fans burned by the cancellation of TCW.

But to me the BIGGEST point is to keep the establish continuity. We know literature EU will be crushed, but at least don't re-write TCW history.

Long story short I believe there should be a new set of characters, but there should be definite participation from TCW characters, I also don't think they should "burn out" main characters like Vader, and Obi-Wan. They should be in it, but just in supporting roles. I would like to see the main villain be like a young Thrawn working his way up. I don't think anyone would complain about that.

All in all it comes to QUALITY. If they can write Ahsoka in a meaningful way, then do it. But like Rex, he can't just "become" a stormtrooper. The clones age way too quick. I would like to see an arc where the clones follow something like the Republic Commando books and they try and defect to Mandalore.

Skies the limit, and I for one would like to see a lot of TCW. Especially Hondo and Bane :)

Darth_Pevra and Circular_Logic like this.
  5. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Even before Ahsoka's fate was resolved in the series finale, I always hoped Rex and her would defect/desert together. I think they really augment each other. Rex is level headed and strictly follows procedures. But Ahsoka has passion and compassion. I think they would make an underground team. Honestly in this new series, I would say don't even touch the Rex and Ahsoka think for the first season. Then BAMMM! The new characters run into the two. It would be epic to see two awesome favorites in TCW show up later.

I'm also ALWAYS against the "death" of characters. Death is so final, and then you have to pull a "Darth Maul" like stunt to bring them back. I would like Ahsoka to live past ANH. I think a 80 year old Ahsoka post ROTJ has a cool feel of "she beat the odds". Rex though, seems to be doomed (especially his age acceleration). But who knows, maybe him and some clones can get "fixed" by some Kimonians. and live a long life (think Republic Commando Series). They can do a lot of cool things with this series.

6. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I hope TCW characters only have cameos.Maybe save them for Season Finales,but I do hope we get them and that The OT characters and new characters are the leads.I want them to Expand the universe NOT bubble it,that's what makes SW so special.

7. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    It depends on when we start.

Still I expect to see a mix of old clone wars characters, new characters and relevant movie characters.

Be interesting to see who the main characters are for instance will we just see Vader as an antagonist or will we get scenes with him as the focus.

8. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    It would be interesting to see Ventress, Bane, Boba, Bossk, Aura Sing and the other bounty hunters again.
    I would be up to see Ahsoka and Lux again too.
    In my opinion, to see planets like Onderon, Christophsis, Raxus in Rebels would be great.

9. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    The main ones I want to see are:

- Captain Rex
    - Asajj Ventress
    - Cad Bane
    - Aurra Sing
    - Hondo
    - Darth Maul
    - Mother Talzin
    - Bo-Katan

Darth Maul needs closure at some point and Cad Bane needs to inevitably pass the torch to Boba Fett as the top bounty hunter in the galaxy. Talzin should be wrapped up, but there's nothing stopping her from rebuilding her Nightsister clan and having them continue beyond the OT.

There's absolutely no limit to where the rest of the characters can go. It would be interesting seeing Rex as an Imperial Stormtrooper or Bo-Katan affiliating herself with the Rebel Alliance. Aurra Sing would be a great recurring villain that will hopefully still be around for a very long time, while Ventress and Hondo act as wild cards in the story.

Ahsoka confronting Vader would be interesting, but I'm not sure if I really want to see her as a prominant character in the new show. Sometimes she could be a fun character, but others she came off as too much of a writer's pet.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Rex: I'm interested in seeing if he stays with the 501st/is loyal to Anakin, gets killed, or defects.

Cad Bane: It could be interesting to see if he works for the Empire as a bounty hunter and in what capacity.

Ventress: Yes. She should just be there.

Maul: He should be there long enough for Bo-Katan to kick his ass when she takes back Mandalore.

I think the focus should be on OT characters and new original characters, with a few of TCW characters making appearances but not as main characters in the show.

I am wondering if they will start soon after the ROTS time frame or if they will wait until, say, five years prior to ANH.

I think they could show what happened to the clones when they started working for the Empire as stormtroopers (sort of a darker version of Rookies) and also what happened to them when they ran out of Jango Fett templates. Who did they use after that?

As far as the technology, they could show the Techno Union working with Palpatine to create new weapons and star destroyers.

11. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    I hope the show starts off right after Order 66 went down, and continues on until that "first major victory" prior to ANH. There can be jumps in the timeline here and there, but those early episodes should definitely revolve around concluding issues and characters from The Clone Wars, then slowly introduce us to more OT-centric characters, all the way up to Biggs, and Tank joining the academy. ;)

12. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I agree with you for the most part, except I think it would be much better to start a few years after RotS, when most of the Jedi Purge is already over. Several reasons for this: the immediate years following the establishment of the Empire in 19 BBY were certainly very grim, with Darth Vader and the Imperials hunting down surviving Jedi, and I don't see Disney focusing too heavily on this particular aspect of the era (true to the "Dark Times" name), plus the fact that this will avoid potentially overlapping or overwriting Dark Lord and the Purge comics. As others have mentioned, the intermediate period of around 15 BBY to 4 BBY is a veritable goldmine in that there is so little EU established, giving the writers ample room for creativity and imagination in telling their stories without worrying about interfering with already established continuity (which frankly, Lucas and co. didn't seem to care too much about in TCW). Love the idea about ending it with the Rebels' first major victory against in the Empire in the opening crawl of ANH BTW. I look forward to the new ideas the team can come up with, and how much respect Filoni et al. have for the continuity now that Lucas is no longer overseeing the project.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Considering how many dangling threads are left from TCW, I would say a few. At the very least Ashoka & Maul & Fett 100% need to be in it in some capacity. Rest is just gravy. Can never get enough Hondo!

Post memory wipe C-3PO could be a blast. Also we can finally figure out how much R2 knows about what happened.

14. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I could stand to see the likes of Maul, Bane, Ventress, and Hondo..

I wonder if Shaak Ti would still be around?

15. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I honestly hope they retcon away some of the order 66 deaths (*cough* Plo Koon). A lot of the Jedi characters died before their arcs could be completed or they could be developed into interesting characters. They can have the characters die in other more interesting ways throughout the purge. I enjoyed TCW's retconning of certain Jedi's deaths for the best dramatic impact. (Like Adi Gallia's and Barris)

16. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Rex.

And personally I'd like a little overlap with the start taking place as immediately after ROTS and possibly during but still away from the main events of the movies.

17. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I would like it to start as close to ROTS as possible, but since it's called Rebels, I'd say it'll be set closer to ANH. It would be great to see some of the storylines from ROTS be expanded on, and storylines from AHN started.

I really wanna see these characters return, because they'd create so great storylines and I enjoyed them in TCW.

Ahsoka
    Maul
    Rex
    Cody
    Hondo Ohnaka
    Boba
    Cad Bane
    Embo
    Aurra Sing
    Bossk
    Dengar
    Latts Razzi
    C-21 Highsinger
    Quinlan Vos
    Bo-Katan
    Gregor
    Trench

18. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    None of the Jedi who were shown to die in the movies should be in this show. I don't want to see the Young Jedi kids either.

19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Yeah its called Rebels but that doesn't mean it can't start with the very beginning introducing the protagonists who will carry the name of the show. The show could also start with a bit of a prequel of sorts before moving into main events. Greg Weisman is involved with this and Gargoyles starts with about two episodes to cover the past and contains several flashback episodes which explain what happened to characters while the Gargoyles slept.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It could jump all over the place or they could plan on covering 20 years in order to keep the show going 10 seasons or so.

21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I would be surprised if Rebels makes it to 5 seasons actually. TCW is an example of an exception when it comes to longevity with western animation.

22. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    How much? As much is logical, really. I feel like the series should, like every other newly-launched Star Wars series in the past twenty-some years, have it's own identity first and foremost, while still establishing itself within the larger universe. Rebels does not need to be a direct sequel to TCW, and I would actually find it rather off-putting to have it essentially pick right up with the same limited cast of characters that TCW left us with at it's own conclusion, to the detriment of exploring new characters and situations. That said, it would hardly be unusual to reference characters and events from one series to another, though it should be done in a way that feels organic and natural to the progression of the story.

Concept wise, I'm very against a repeat of TCW's jumping around the timeline in such a schizophrenic manner. A linear, thought-out story arc that logically follows a character's actions chronologically is so much better than hopscotching up and down the timeline and leaving it to the fans to figure out what went when based on vague context. A stronger sense of causality and continuity would also be a nice change, leaving behind TCW's habit of having an event take place only to never against reference it, even at times when it would seem most likely to come up.

23. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    It shouldn't serve as a direct sequel, but there's also no reason for it to, and I don't think it's very likely.

Plenty of the dangling threads can be resolved in the long term, and most are more interesting in that context anyway:
    - Maul has more purpose as a tool of the Emperor during the purge,.
    - Stuff like Boba gaining notoriety (by probably killing Cad Bane, which we might have seen in that TCW bounty hunters arc) would actually make more sense if it took longer to achieve.
    - Seeing Mandalore, with a little exposition which says that the Republic never came (maybe because the war ended before they had enough troops to dedicate to Mandalore), would allow it to return to the mercenary state which was established in the EU and more forward.

I think Filoni will go back to following the EU more closely, once Lucas isn't looking over his shoulder. He was pretty much all for adherence to the EU in the beginning (not references to it, mind you... just adherence to any necessary parameters it set up).

QuangoFett and Circular_Logic like this.
  24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I don't think we need a direct sequel but I would like something of a sequel that connects with TCW and forms a spiritual successor. I don't really want a timeline that jumps all over the place but am torn over the way the stories would be lay out. I liked the early episodic nature of TCW that turned out to be snap shots into major events in characters lives instead of just following them every where and every day. TCW did have linear continuity and got more linear as the seasons went on and it fall did fit together. I liked that TCW didn't just sit and explain to me everything like Scooby Doo. Fortunately yet another point for Weisman he has worked on an old show that what quite good at being episodic and yet connected then used flashbacks well when needed. I would atleast like to see some flashbacks that overlap. When It comes to characters I'd rather a mostly new cast myself.

25. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    No jedi or surviving sith. The Emperor and Vader being the only exceptions. We must have that feeling that the Jedi have been purged, so if they have a bunch of force users running around after the clone wars, then it diminishes the events of the PT and OT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.