main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The Time Has Come. The OT NEEDS The RLM Treatment

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Anakin_Darth, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin_Darth

Anakin_Darth Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    Yes, you heard (or read) that right. For too long has the PT been ridiculed, while IV, V, & VI are deemed infallible, which isn't true in the slightest. It's been fourteen years of this, I think it's time.

What I'm proposing is simple : we create a YouTube video for each OT episode, showcasing its flaws, showcasing the hypocrisy of, "If it happens in the PT, it's bad, but if the exact same thing happens in the OT it's fine". But, we do it without all the unnecessary profanity and silly jokes about women in basements. We point out all the lapses in common sense and logic characters showcase in the OT, and also how, without the PT, certain things make no sense.

And, above all, we showcase how inaccurate the RLM reviews are. We highlight the deceptive editing and lackluster critiques.

I feel that this could be a big thing in our community. All I need is someone to help make it happen. We aren't going to try and change people's opinions, we will simply show that ANY movie can be torn down.

What do you all think?

2. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I think this thread is gonna be locked :p

that's what I think

Edit: commendable idea though, you're just not going to get much support,

and will antagonize both sets of fans,

we need unity,

RLM and his "wisdom" creates antagonistic ideals that cause division, we don't need to sink to his level to prove anything,

if you are a fan of the OT GREAT

if you're a fan of the PT GREAT

3. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    First of all, I agree with Sistros. This probably belongs in the "Classic Trilogy" forum.
    Second, while I think it might be fun to see those three episodes torn to shreds, I'd deem it unwise to attack the RLM reviews. Keep it civil, fun and, above all, focused!

- Just relax. Concentrate.
    - I'm trying!
    /LM

4. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Like Sistros said, there's no need to stoop to the levels on no-talent wannabes like RedLetterMedia.

Just ignore him, after his fifteen minutes of fame is up, he'll be doomed to obscurity as many internet "stars" of the past have been.

5. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    In order for this idea to achieve the level of success the RLM reviews did, it needs to tap into a huge section of society that are disappointed in, and felt let down by the OT, but don't have the language to express why they were disappointed with it. Good luck with that.

Why isn't this topic in the OT section?

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  6. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Yes!
    We're approaching Episode 7 so it would be only right that RLM gives us the whole story.

There are plenty of reasons why would I have wanted the OT ''reviews''. It is enough to see Youtube comments that are bashing the PT. I'd love to see the OT reviews so I could join them in bashing. And I'm sure they wouldn't change their mind on how accurate or spot on he is.

But, I'm afraid, unlike Ep 7, that's the movie we'll never get to see.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    First of all, I like the PT; I like the Saga. But defending the PT by attacking the OT just seems really odd, and wishing the "RLM treatment" on something seems pretty extreme.

8. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Yes, yes listen to eht13 you must.

Darth Chiznuk and eht13 like this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Apparently there were RLM-like reviews of ESB when it came out- as has been brought up in the past:

Andy Wylde and Bob Octa like this.
  10. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Relocating.

11. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Why? The Original Trilogy, no matter what people say, is Star Wars. Most people watched the prequels because of the OT. Are you trying to create a fan-war? And Plinkett's reviews, no matter what people say, have many accuracies in them. The OT Isn't perfect, but it has less flaws than the PT.

12. Anakin_Darth

Mar 28, 2005
    Kudos to whoever posted that article. And I find it humorous that a thread about the negatives of the OT "is gonna get locked" lol. The OT has a ton of obvious flaws.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Ayup.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  14. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    If one thing's for sure, it would test the loyalty of his fanbase. That's how he convinced some of his braindead followers that Revenge of the Sith was bad.

Sure, people like to rag on Phantom and Clones, but Revenge of the Sith was easily the best received of the prequels, and one of the best reviewed in the saga. Still, once RLM ran out of ideas, he decided to go back to what got him views in the first place (because who honestly cares about what else he's done), and thus added ROTS to the grouping "it's bad because it's a prequel." So yeah, once people forget about him again, he'll probably "review" the OT just to get some publicity.

Andy Wylde and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  15. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Or, maybe he didn't like ROTS? Accept people's opinions. Nobody makes you watch his reviews.

16. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    He's an attention whore. Simple. If he simply wanted to be taken seriously as a reviewer, he would have conducted himself as such.

Though you misunderstand, I'm not saying his opinion is wrong, I'm just saying he's a terrible reviewer. If Roger Ebert gaving glowing reviews to films that audiences hated, and panned the ones that were loved, he wouldn't have received his recognition as an esteemed film critic.

Andy Wylde and Vthuil like this.
  17. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    The brilliance of RLM is that he spoke for a generation of Star Wars fans that couldn't quite put their fingers on what exactly they hated about the PT. He didn't have to be good at it, it was enough that he said it. He revolutionized PT hate and divided the fans into the two camps that we see today.* If it is truly the OP's desire that the OT get the RLM treatment** and the time has truly come, then some enterprising OT hater will undoubtedly take up the challenge. I suspect it will be a great big fail, but I will appreciate the throngs of new people that will watch the original RLM videos as a result and become new haters. :)

* I like that this happened. There are two different types of Star Wars fans, and we needed this to happen in a great big public million plus viewers way so that non-fanatics recognize that not all of us think the PT was good.
    **and by the way, it does my heart good to know that RLM has become such a thing that it is now the universally recognized shorthand for this type of review. :p

EDIT: over 4 million views as of today. [face_dancing]

18. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    He's not a reviewer at all, really, so much as he is an entertainer. "Reviewers" don't create bizarre psychopath personae as a main part of their show.

Andy Wylde and SlashMan like this.
  19. EvilQ

EvilQ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2013
    LOL @ butthurt PT fans. People thought the PT sucked years before RLM came along.

I don't think that the OT is infallible. In many ways (ewoks), RotJ was almost as bad as the PT. It just had redeeming qualities that the PT lacked; namely characters that we'd grown to care about.

On the other hand, I didn't give a rat's ass about any of the characters in the PT. They had no depth, no character development and ridiculously crappy dialogue that the actors repeatedly stumbled over, due to lazy writing and lazy direction. As a result, they were completely unconvincing and impossible to identify with. But hey, they had a lot of cool effects, so basically they were just like Michael Bay movies.

Sure, someone could give the OT the "RLM treatment," but it would either end up being not nearly as scathing or just completely dishonest. The OT (well, at least the first two) are simply better movies.

20. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Actually, the more I look at this thread, the more torn I am on which side I find more contemptible: the people who think the only reasonable response to negative criticism is to do the exact same thing in reverse, and actively encourage fandom divisiveness; or the people who refuse to believe anyone disagrees with them in good faith, outright praise "haters" and consider a semi-gifted bandwagoner to be a source of "scathing" and meaningful insights, and also actively encourage divisiveness.

I guess the only side to be on here is the one that's hoping for a lock.

(And for the record, I should probably note that I considered the PT in general inferior to the OT and AOTC, in particular, to be a plain bad movie).

21. EvilQ

EvilQ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2013
    Some of us are perfectly capable of forming our own opinions, thank you very much.

I've disliked the prequels ever since they came out because they made me cringe and squirm in my seat. It was like being held hostage and tortured because, like a train wreck, I just couldn't look away because they were Star Wars movies. The PT was the ultimate cinematic con. No one had to tell me to despise it; that came on its own.

Are they most god-awful movies I've ever seen? No. Will I ever watch them again? Oh, god, no.

Aperture Science likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If the Red Letter Media guy did it, it would be extremely appropriate as his work imploded on itself in a black hole of hypocrisy.

Andy Wylde and SlashMan like this.
  23. Anakin_Darth

Mar 28, 2005
    It's humorous how defensive fans get when the OT is under attack, yet they have no problem whining about the PT for 14 years.

Ironic.

:)

24. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Again, if this is not done with a large dose of humor, it's doomed to fail on every level. This needs to be something that you do for the fun of it. Like others here, though, I'm not overly fond of the idea at all, since it only means that you lower yourself to the level of a complete jerk and that the hate will only increase. If you choose the quick and easy path, as Stoklasa did, you will become an agent of evil.
    Love is the answer to darkness!

I know your still kind of new around here and all, but... What? Stoklasa rehashed a decade of bashing and compiled it into ridiculously long video reviews. That's all.
    Wait, that's not all. What he truly did was awaken something that had just begun dozing off, put it on speed and made it bigger than ever. It is now hipper than hip to hate these movies. Is that good? No. Hate, believe it or not, is bad. A revolution based on hate, especially this pointless kind of hate, is just sad.

Those two camps have existed since 1999.

Sad.

Really? You couldn't live with yourself knowing that there might be people out there who believed that you enjoyed Episodes I-III of Star Wars? Where's your self-esteem, mate?

That's terrific, Mike.

- Has anyone ever seen a pod race?
    - I can't see a thing in this helmet.

/LM

25. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Thank you for taking the time to share my views with both the people that follow you in their news feed and the people who may have skimmed over them further up the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.