main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Could Anakin be Reunited with Padme in the Netherworld?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Dominick1216, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't think so.

Did he have the potential to become that powerful? Perhaps.

But he didn't get there.

thesevegetables likes this.
  2. Darth Liberatus

Darth Liberatus Jedi Padawan star 1

May 13, 2013
    There's definitely a few who are more powerful (such as Sidious and Plagueis), but Anakin faced multiple Jedi at once and won several times. Very rarely have we seen anyone that powerful. That and being the Chosen One. However, it is true he was far from reaching his potential. He was really just getting started when Obi-Wan injured him which pretty much prevented him from getting any more powerful.

kainee likes this.
  3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Off hand, I can't think of any canonical information that would back me up (or tell me that I'm wrong, either), but I imagine the Netherworld of the Force as a realm not exclusive to Force-sensitive's, but a place where all sentient beings are 'sent' upon transforming into the Force. I see the payoff to "more power than [we] can possibly imagine" as not so much 'everlasting life' (which I like to think of as potentially available to anyone in the GFFA, regardless of one's midi-chlorian count), but the ability to interact with the corporeal world after passing on. So, in short, yeah, according to my interpretation, Anakin and Padme have been reunited. Whether that's accurate, according to the maker, though, I couldn't say.

I've said before that if we get a storyline in these new films which features the likes of Yoda, Obi-Wan or Anakin in spirit form, rather than having those spirits come to Luke again, I'd very much like to see the ST take advantage of the opportunity by having Luke visit the spirits on their turf, within in the Netherworld of the Force. I harbor such fantastic visions of the place in my mind - whew! - how I would love to see it portrayed in all its wonder, up on the big screen, accompanied by a glorious John Williams soundtrack. I know there are some mysteries best left to the imagination, but I find the notion of exploring the Netherworld very tempting, indeed.

kainee likes this.
  4. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I believe it either says or implies in the movies that your Life Force/Energy was part of the Force before your conception and when you die your Life Force/Energy goes back to the Force. You will no longer be aware that you were once a human female senator of a planet/sector, beloved by your people and wife of a Jedi and a mother. You are just part of the Force nothing else matters to you.

Either way the Jedi seemed to imply in several places in the movies and TCW that a being's identity didn't survive death just the part of them that was connected to the Force.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess."

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  5. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    This is pretty much how I see it: that Force-sensitivity in life determines whether you have the potential to return as a Force ghost, but that everyone retains some degree of their personality. There are no hard-and-fast canon sources for this, and for pretty good reason I think.

kainee likes this.
  6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    It's not entirely ridiculous when you consider that pregnant women's bodies retain a population of genetically distinct cells from their fetuses.

That said, I choose to believe Padme did not stick around in any Jedi heaven because
    (a) I dislike on principle all other females who are my competition for Lord Vader, so it pleases me to imagine Padme in the depths of hell; and, more importantly,
    (b) Padme and Anakin aren't exactly soulmates anyway. They clearly have an unhealthy relationship. I think it could be argued that the Force brought them together solely so Luke and Leia would be conceived. Giving Anakin and Padme a happily-ever-after ending totally glosses over the abusive and dishonest aspects of their relationship. It also makes Star Wars into too much of a love story when it's really supposed to be a mix of action/adventure and mysticism, with just a small pinch of romance thrown in.

7. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    . It also makes Star Wars into too much of a love story when it's really supposed to be a mix of action/adventure and mysticism, with just a small pinch of romance thrown in.[/quote]... Love is generally a recurring theme throughout the six films

kainee likes this.
  8. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    As others have said, I don't really see being 'one with the force' as maintaining identity or having a western-style afterlife. And when it comes to force ghosts, i see them more like buddha, temporarily maintaining a degree of mortality in order to guide others. It's a sacrifice really, since a Jedi would want to become the force. It's not a way To live forever but a way to finish a mission before truly letting go. Which is much like traditional ghosts, actually.

Also, I hope this isn't explored too deeply in the ST, because I think people should be able to imagine these elements of the force in a way that jives with their beliefs (I'm an atheist in real life and would have a hard time swallowing a force heaven, but would also not want to take that possibility away from people who would want that).

9. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I wonder if Anakin will run into all those children, er, I mean Younglings he murdered in Force Heaven.

Younglings: "Why did you murder us?"
    Anakin: "Because, um, Darth Sidious told me that if I joined him, um, he would save the life of my wife"
    Younglings: "Did he?"
    Anakin: "No. Turns out he was lying"
    Younglings: "You found this out later, right?"
    Anakin: "Actually I found out immediately after I joined that he didn't know how to save my wife. Which was about 30 minutes before I decided to murder all of you"
    Younglings: "You've got to be frakking kidding!"

10. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

That just makes Anakin completely stupid the fact that Sidious told him after he had agreed to join him that they could discover the power together. Why that didn't send alarm bells ringing through Anakin's head I don't know...

11. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000

ANAKIN: I am a slow learner.

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  12. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

I don't think he meant that seriously. It was a comeback against Dooku, nothing more.

13. PMT99

Nov 23, 2000
    And yet, Anakin doesn't realize he's being played by Sidious until it's too late.

14. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

The same as everyone else... Anakin wasn't the only one taken in by Sidious before it was too late: the entire Jedi Order, the Senators... everybody.

15. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    I think that's unfair. Sure, the romance scenes in AOTC and the balcony scene in ROTS are horribly written but I think it's pretty clear that they do truly love each other and if Lucas had delegated the task of writing those scenes to someone else I think we could have a much more effective trilogy. Anakin gets a little too obsessive and goes too far which was of course the point of the prequels but to completely dismiss their love as something unhealthy or false doesn't do justice to the trilogy. This is after all the 'Tragedy of Anakin Skywalker.' If you think "well he got what was coming to him" then that takes away that tragic element which underpins those 3 films.

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  16. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    The simple fact is that the whole concept is very poorly explained in the movies. A bunch of EU authors tried to come up with ridiculous explanations retroactively, but it simply is something the movies explain very, very poorly - perhaps deliberately, perhaps not. Things never really explained: How did Vader/Anakin gain this ability? Can a force ghost eventually lose the ability to have contact with the physical world? Which implies the next question: Will we possibly see Obi-Wan, Anakin or Yoda in the sequels? Can they appear anywhere they want? (Obi-Wan says he cannot help Luke face Vader so that implies they can't, but both Obi-Wan and Yoda appear on Endor... so they can obviously travel to some extent) Where is QuiGon during all of this? (I thought we might see QuiGon CGI'ed in at the end of E6 the way they put Hayden in but obviously they didn't). Why did some bodies disappear but others not?

It's really just something that you have to accept at face value without thinking about it too much.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Conclusion: He didn't care much for Padmé but a lot for the delicious power.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  18. PMT99

Nov 23, 2000
    Actually, Anakin does care for Padme. It's just that his initial goal to save her got lost when he became fully corrupted by the dark side. This is evident when he's on Mustafar.

19. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Anakin killed children pretty much immediately after Palpatine admitted he didn't know how to protect someone from death. Would Padmé have wanted that? No, of course not. But at this point he doesn't care anymore what Padmé wants, only what he wants. He treats her like a thing, a prized possession, not a human being.

20. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Could Anakin be Reunited with Padme in the Netherworld?

no

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Not really a lie. How many Sith were present at the scene of her death, using their powers to save her?

It's really quite simple: because as far as he knew, Palpatine was needed to ensure Padme's survival. It is also worth noting that Palpatine's various claims on this topic are more consistent than many have made them out to be. Right from the start he indicated that Anakin, as opposed to himself, would be the one to use the power. This is an ability that Anakin must have realized he did not currently have, so he would need to learn.

22. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    =D= All I needed to see.

Case closed.
    :p

23. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013

Incredible [face_plain]

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  24. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    :D

Disagree about them loving one another. What's made clear in those scenes is that they think they love each other. Their behaviors show that they have no clue what love is. "How long is it going to take for us to be honest with each other?" says Padme. If they don't even have honesty, the foundation of a relationship, after three YEARS of marriage, what else can they have?

I also think calling Anakin "a little too obsessive" is like calling Hoth "a bit nippy." :p

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  25. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013

Signs of tragic love :_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.