main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub KOTOR/SWTOR Fanclub

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Skywalker_T-65, Sep 3, 2012.

1. General Valerian

General Valerian Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 6, 2013

Well yeah, but since it changes with Twi'leks and alien species they might as well change it with every other race, even if it's only minor changes, to make it more believable. For example, as a Sith Pureblood the task where the other Sith Pureblood sends you to scan the Overseers on Korriban doesn't make much sense, since one of the dialogue options you get is: "You must be terrified that the Pureblood Sith might be gone in a couple of years" (or something along those lines) while I'm actually a Sith Pureblood, too. [face_not_talking]

2. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    The thing with the generic alien dialogue is that it isn't specific to any one race - it occurs for any/every non-human race, from what I understand - which would be a lot easier to do, since they'd have to re-record so much dialogue as it is just for the pronoun switch of he/she (and even with that I've noticed them cheating as much as they can, especially with the Trooper storyline; my female trooper is constantly referred to as sir, which is how it should be, but every now and then with the companions you get a ma'am where they actually went to the effort of recording the line twice). But in a game of this size, having to account for each species separately in dialogue when they already deal with gender and generic human vs non-human, that'd cost a fortune and be a huge effort to put in. They could do it, I'm sure, but in an MMO they have to decide what's feasible.

As it is, they only offer heterosexual romances in TOR however they've said they're planning to implement same-sex romances at some point, to be written uniquely from the romances already available. This is another part where they had to probably make sacrifices in the initial game - they probably didn't have the time/money/whatever to write those storylines, though bioware is great at being inclusive that way, but now they can take the time to write new dialogue and such for characters. Maybe down the line they'll have more species-specific dialogue, but I don't think that's something people are clamouring for, where there's been demand for the same-sex storylines.

Anyway, my studies in design are getting away from me. Considering that it's an MMO and there's 8 different classes (16 sub-classes), 8(? is it 8? not sure) species, and the obvious two genders, I think they've done a good job of balancing what's feasible in conversations and yet making it feel like they are talking to your character specifically. Can't wait for the Cathar species addition, I'll probably get that one.

Ambervikings91 likes this.
  3. General Valerian

Mar 6, 2013
    I know, I'm not saying they didn't do a good job I'm just saying sometimes it doesn't make sense. They could at least fix those very few parts in the game in which being of a certain race matters, such as the quest I mentioned above. That wouldn't be too hard.

4. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    They may not even realise it, unless it was pointed out to them. That's why there are playtesters, but they don't catch everything.

5. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Found another instance of the species issue - playing a Chiss bounty hunter on Balmorra, and there was something about covering up the murder of a Chiss dignitary. Obviously they'd never ask a Chiss to help with that.

Anyway, found a planet I hate more than Taris: Hoth. Part of it is that I'm stuck there grinding a bit for levels since I'm behind where I should be, part of it is that it's HOTH and it's just so boring... it's just a snow equivalent of Tatooine, but with less underworld and therefore boring.

6. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    Hey guys, finally, I unfortunately spend most of my forum surfing time in the STAR WARS discussion part of the SWTOR forums, so I barely check Jedi Council forums, but I thought I'd get back into the conversation.

Now one thing that bugs me about the Old Republic era is that despite everything the Exile does: Rebuilds the Jedi Order, stabilises the Republic's infrastructure, stops the entire galaxy from being devoured by Darth Nihilus, single-handedly destroys the Trayus Academy by defeating hundreds of Sith, Darth Sion himself and then Darth Traya all in one prolonged engagement and many more feats, yet she is barely recognised outside of the most renowned and wise Jedi by the time of TOR.

Now I'd get into alll the many ways I think Revan was a retcon of the Exile character and all that stuff, but we'd be hear all day.

Fortunately we may have a light at the end of the tunnel for the KotOR series as a whole, with the sale of the Star Wars video games license to EA, it is being highly debated that KotOR 3 is now a very real possibility and even more amazing for me is that Obsidian Entertainment (KotOR 2) could get a second shot at a Star Wars RPG as they have many times now expressed the wish to make another game in partnership with BiOWare set in Star Wars, without a LucasArts rushing them out of the gate a year early to hit Christmas to make the quick buck, we could see one of the best if not THE best Star Wars game ever made.

I always preferred Chris Avellone's writing in KotOR 2 and the very dark and original storytelling he provided over the very Original Trilogy-esque story of KotOR written by Drew Karpyshyn.

tjace likes this.
  7. General Valerian

Mar 6, 2013
    I haven't had the time to play lately, but I'm happy to inform that my Trueblood Sith is now level 33, currently on Alderaan. :D So I'm not really a noob anymore. :cool:

8. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    My trooper is 44... trying to get to 45 so I can progress on Voss. Got a lovely romance going on too [face_tee_hee] I've also got a bounty hunter up at 25... I like my heavy classes :p

9. General Valerian

Mar 6, 2013
    I don't really care for romances on ToR. Or maybe I just don't have the companion I want yet.

My Pureblood is a Juggernaut, and I have a level 21 Zabrak Marauder and a level 6 Trooper... But I'm just too lazy to beat Balmorra right now, It's way too long and redundant and I'm too focused on my Jugg build to really play anything else.

And Master of Enlightment, I agree completely. Based on her feats, Zurik should be recognized as one of the most influential Jedi not only of the ToR and KotoR era, but of all time. She doesn't get the credit she deserves, not by a mile.

10. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I have one of every class now (most no higher than level 10 or 12) since I wanted to try them out, but they're mostly female, which changes the romance options. Couldn't resist having a small woman carrying a massive assault cannon for my trooper, I've become very attached. And keeping up a romance with Aric Jorgon is definitely not the easiest but their romance is so cheesy that I have to see how it goes.

[​IMG]

From what I understand, most romances can't progress until Chapter 3 (around level 40) for some reason... really frustrating. You can flirt occasionally and get their affection up but nothing serious happens until then. And usually you have all your companions by that point (I did with my trooper, at least) so perhaps that's the key?

How are you finding the Juggernaut? I went for Marauder for my Warrior class, though I haven't played her in a while. I'm not much of a tank so I always try to pick healer options if they're available or just generally non-tanking :p

11. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    As far as the Exile goes, I'm of the firm opinion that Bioware is trying to distance themselves from KOTOR II. Hence almost nothing from that game carrying over into TOR, other than an Exile made into a Revan fan-girl, and (possibly) Kreia's spirit.

12. General Valerian

Mar 6, 2013

I love the irony of a small woman with a big gun. :D

She looks good! I like her armour.

And yeah that's possibly the reason why I haven't had any romance hints or anything. But either way, as a Warrior you get Vette at first and I don't want her as my love interest. Maybe when I get another female companion I'll think about it.

I love my Jugg. I like it more than the Mara. Being a Jugg you can tank and you can deal significant damage. You get both, and since I'm making my Jugg a dps/tank hybrid, it's even better. But yeah if you don't like tanking Marauder is definitely the way to go.

And Skyguy, I agree. I believe they're indeed distancing themselves from KotoR II, but I definitely don't agree with that decision. As much as they want to distance themselves from that game, it's canon. They shouldn't just disregard the main character's very impressive feats. It's just a stupid thing to do, imho.

13. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I haven't got a matching set of armour yet but it won't be long. I've had that chestpiece since a heroic quest on Coruscant, just been upgrading it since I like how it looks. I'll probably find better matching pieces once I hit 50. I do have a lovely helmet too but I usually have the head slot toggled as hidden.

I haven't played long enough with the Marauder to get to know Vette... she's interesting. I'm looking forward to the Agent's second companion though, Quinn seems very interesting, but I have to get through Balmorra first, ew. For now I'm mostly PvPing to get my trooper's xp up since I'm still a level behind (45, should be at least 46) so until 50 I think I'm leaving my other characters alone.

I'm just so bad at tanking. I might have to give it a try again at some point and see if I can do better.

14. General Valerian

Mar 6, 2013
    As a Juggernaut I wear the whole Eradicator Warsuit, including the mask. It looks badass. :cool: I also sometimes play with the head slot hidden, but lately I've chosen not to. 'Cause the mask loos so good.

And yeah, imo, Quinn's a lot better than Vette as a companion, mainly because he's a good healer but also because he's an interesting character. I agree, though. Balmorra sucks. Worst planet so far, by far. I truly hated it. People say Alderaan is all terrible, but I don't dislike it that much. I made sure that my character is actually a higher level than it's supposed to be. I'm level 34 now, and I'm on Alderaan. I'm ahead of what I'm supposed to be, and I'm not even done with Alderaan. Hell, I've not done a single Heroic and haven't got the bonus series yet.

You should try to tank sometime again. I get it if it's not your thing; not everyone likes tanking. I just love me some endurance and a tough-to-kill character.

15. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    I know in Kotor at least, whether or not this tracks with TOR is another question, I was always a better tank (Guardian) or a Jack of all trades (Sentinel) yet never could beat the game as an Healer (Counselor) for some reason healing class I ace in DRL but in games I never can get it to work out that well for me. Which now makes me want to play KotOR again as one just to try to over come it, but any tips before I try to do this awful thing?

16. General Valerian

Mar 6, 2013
    Well, Counselor (sp?) is the hardest class to play with in KOTOR definitely. My suggestion is choose soldier or scout at first, so you get a lot of feats once you reach Dantooine. That helped me.

17. Lenea_Sandstrider

Lenea_Sandstrider Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The advantage to a Consular character is the amount of Force powers/points you get. The best way to use that to make up for a lack of Lightsaber skills is to go for really strong area-effect powers. Lightning storm and Force Wave are VERY useful here.

18. General Valerian

Mar 6, 2013
    Eventually, you'll become a Force-God, but at the beginning of the game it is quite hard.

19. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I'm just starting off in SWTOR I am not able to do the Sith Inquisitor Heroic 2 for the Hate Machine in Tulak Hord due to being by myself. I tried but I keep getting killed. :(

I'm only level 7 for my Jedi Knight, level 6 for my Sith Inquisitor and level 4 for my agent. Yes i'm a noob compared to all of you.:p

20. General Valerian

Mar 6, 2013
    Yeah, you can't do Heroic 2 by yourself... But it's extremely easy to get other people to join you on Korriban.

And don't worry, we were all there once. :p

21. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    Yeah i will try to get someone to help me. Hopefully then I could get out of there alive.:p

22. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    47! I'm kind of sad that my Trooper's story is going to come to an end soon :(

But any of you on the Bergeren Colony server are welcome to add me (Letida being my main Rep at 47, Cheid my main Imp at 25) and I can come help you out if I'm online :D That's pretty much the only server I'm on since I have Legacy perks and I enjoy them quite a bit, but yeah, if you're ever around.

23. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    Ah I see you finally got around to playing it Tee! Hope you're having fun and that the long wait was worth it!

24. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012

Was it? I don't think so. I didn't liked the way Karpyshyn belittled with Exile but on the other side after she defeated the Sith Triumvate in a way her mission was fulfilled and she wasn't the wound in the force anymore. She shouldn't have easily defeated by Darth Nyriss although that happened only to show how badass Revan was, but still I think that it could have been a better way.

I liked that Revan was defeated in the end, but I can understand the fans who were disappointed by it. It broke in a way the god-status Revan had, but still I like more bittersweet endings than happy ones.

25. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    Yeah i like it so far but i have to do alot on my own cause i haven't found anyone to do the heroic parts.