main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The OT "Big 3"...or how I've got a bad feeling about this...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Slash78, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Looks like Luke, Leia and Han will still be Mark, Carrie and John Harrison...opps! Meant just Harrison...will be returning in the Sequal Trilogy.

I don't hate the idea, but I don't see how it's going to work. In the OT and PT there were three charaters, Luke/Leia/Han, Ben/Padme/Anakin, who where the focus of the Story. How is it going to work with Luke, Han and Leia still around AND have a new big three? How much screen time will be too much for the OT Big Three?

My feeling is that the movie will go a lot like most of the post-RotJ EU novels go. They'll try to create new Characters to focus on, but the stories are more or less still about Luke, Han and Leia. But do we really wanna see a 70+ year old Harrison, 60+ Mark Hamill and 55 plus Carrie running around trying to do Star Wars type stuff for over 2 hours? I can't see that working, especially when you're trying to introduce the "next generation" Big Three (assuming there is one).

I don't know. I can see people complaining, rightly, that the OT characters "take too much screen time" and likewise if they are just in brief cameos having "too little screen time". Or even worse, gratuitous cameos like Old Spock in Star Trek Into Darkness.

What do you think?

2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Their role is to "pass the torch."
    I'm sure their screen time will be diminished as the story progresses.

Or until they all get wiped out.

The transition to the New 3 will be quite alright, I"m guessing, with them taking the definite spotlight in Episodes 8 and 9. I'm not worried in the slightest.

3. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    If they're just supporting "pass the torch" roles then sure thats fine. But if they try to have this whole series rest on their shoulders *leads basicly* then sorry...BAD IDEA to the MAX! Lets face it in a hollywood dominated by young beautiful actors I dont think the idea of a bunch of 60-70 year olds well past their prime running around trying to be cool again is a good idea *unless its Expendables or Red then sure*. I also kinda worry about their acting ability *things change after 30-something years* so I just hope whatever their role is it doesn't make me go "Oh...god I miss the old days because this is just awful". Anywho...long story short "Supporting roles=Good. Lead role=BAD"

4. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    People who are already negative about the movie this early on should just give up Star Wars and never return to it.

Rawne, Han Yolo, KevinM1 and 12 others like this.
  5. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    And don't get started on bashing people again because of their age, our automated defenses barely held off the last swarm of those threads.

6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I think you had better prepare yourself because no doubt there will be those people who are ageists who will carp on about having old people around.

Movie making is accepted as being about young or youngish people or even if a bit older they come off as younger. Once you get to 60+ though they had better be mentor roles or you will have people who turn on it.

I don't think there will be any problem at all really. As we see with LOTR movies you can have the "old ones" in large support roles but still have the young-ins as the coming of age heroes.

Think of TPM which really was more Qui-Gon's movie than just about anyone else with then Padme and Anakin and Obi Wan in a even lesser role.

The trio will probably have their largest parts in the first film. I wouldn't at all be surprised if then one or more of them are sacrificed off to allow the new characters to take over by the end of the film (sound familiar?) and move forward from there.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    And I'll be right here to mock them. :)

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    There's the possibility of the original three AND three more? Did I miss something?

9. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    The format of Star Wars as it relates to generations seems to be right on course........

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  10. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999

[​IMG]

Darth Gumby and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  11. Jimstarwarsfan

Jimstarwarsfan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Your right! this makes me sick. A star wars movie with Luke Skywalker as a Jedi master, man thats taking the biscuit. not only that but a original storylines we know diddly about and the characters are the age the big 3 are now, oh come on here. Han, luke and leia and possibly the return of great characters.. Yep these films will be terrible, its not like the big 3 have been in a star wars movie before. Yes you are so right! They should remove the emporer and yoda because they are too old for star wars. yep dooku, oh and alec guiness, he was too old. Oh wait there peter cushing as well. We just cant have any thing star warsey about this movie.

12. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
  13. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    They don't have to run around onscreen like they did in the OT. They don't even have to have big parts. Mark would probably have the biggest part of the three of them, but Harrison and Carrie could do cameos. Cameos are all Carrie does these days anyway.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Christopher Lee was what? 70 something? The OT Big 3 will be fine.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The OT has Obi-Wan, Yoda, Darth Vader, Boba Fett and the Emperor (all major characters in the PT) and yet none of them take significant screentime away from the big 3. Everythings going to be okay. ;)

16. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    What are you talking about ??? Luke will be like Obi-Wan & have 20-30min screen time & probably die at the end , Han will probably get 10-15 min & Leia about 10min the rest of EP7 will be about establishing the New Big 3 & they will take the reigns in EP8 & 9 with Luke making cameo's as a force ghost & Han & Leia cameo's or not in it at all .....Remember EP4 was about establishing the Big 3 & so was EP1.........

17. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    You are assuming much young one. Mark, Carrie, and Harrison will Carry the 1st film, It is the least they deserve for reprising their most famous roles of all time, and Everybody wants to see them embark on one last Adventure together in a new Star Wars Film.

They would be foolish to come up with a story or a plot that does not center on the Big Three, and especially Harrison Fords Han Solo, who will be the Star of the Movie.

18. GersonSith

GersonSith Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    I don't think there is an issue with the age of the Big 3 at all. I don't think the new movies will be using them as the main characters anyway. I was personally hoping that the new story would go further into the future generations after the OT possibly with some flashbacks to the New Jedi Order being formed by Luke and Leia.

I don't think there would be too many things they could introduce that would make me not want to see the movie. The only thing I can think of would be Carrie Fisher in the bikini again.

19. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Aw, geez, are we really back to discussing this again?

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Will this never end! :p

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    GENERAL REMINDER:
    When you finally exhaust yourselves of the tedium of discussing the age of actors appearing in a film series which has gotten unbelievable mileage out of actors much older... and often more impaired... than the 3 currently being overly scrutinized... please remember to avoid discussing pointless... and priorly forewarned to be bannable... topics such as their weight, mental health, fiber usage, vision, hearing, cholesterol, etc...

The last 4 are not off-limits... but are as equally banal as every other lifestyle detail analysis burning up our bandwidth. Carry on.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  22. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Nothing wrong with a bit of fiber. Old Yoda's gnawing on that gimer stick kept him fit for centuries... ;)

23. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I think this is a topic beaten to death. I am pretty confident the writers are very capable at making a story introducing new characters work. Some speculation is fun while other kinds seem a little pointless. I would not consider this the fun type.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You would be correct. We have several threads dedicated to discussing the Cast in general... and the OT3, specifically. I waited to see if this became its own, unique discussion. It did not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.