main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Michael Kaplan joins Episode 7 production

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by The Hellhammer, May 19, 2013.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  2. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Effff

Spoiled

[face_sigh]

stormcloud8 likes this.
  3. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I need a giant version of that Tom Baker pic on my wall.

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes - based on the source material and on the wishes of the director and production designer.

I was going to answer this more thoroughly, but The Hellhammer said most of what I was gonna say.
    Well said The Hellhammer =D=

To add to it: an artist's job on a film such as this is to interpret the established style and add their own touch to it. It goes for the costume designer, it goes for the director, the DP, the editor - hell, even the actors.
    To judge a newly signed artist based on what they've done before is fair - absolutely. But you must take into account their adaptability. Just because you weren't impressed by Kaplans (or Abrams') work in Star Trek Into Darkness doesn't mean they won't impress you with Star Wars: Episode VII. Different movies, different styles [face_peace]

EDIT: A Chorus of Disapproval - pfft, wasn't Eccleston like two Doctors ago? ;) :p

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Who was only in it for one season.

6. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Most of her background seems to be theater and period pieces, which aren't exactly street clothes; specifically Young Indy. But otherwise, yousa point is well seen. Again, John Mollo didn't have a ton of space opera experience before he did Star Wars and Alien, but his schtick was military uniforms.

7. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    *groan*

Joy, exactly what I want for Star Wars is the dude who put Alice Eve in a push-up bra and the women of the Enterprise in miniskirts! I understand the miniskirts as a throwback reference, but come on, it's totally unrealistic.

I loved Trisha Biggar's costumes - I watched all of the special features on the DVDs that are costume-related - and I was honestly hoping she'd come back.

Comparing Amidala's costumes to Leia's - [Removed] - was stupid. The former is a reigning monarch on a relatively wealthy-looking planet. The latter is a Princess, but her planet is destroyed and she's the leader of a ragtag Rebellion. Plus I've always thought part of the reason for the minimalism in the OT was to give it a dark and depressing feel, as though the entire galaxy were in economic downturn (unless you were one of the Emperor's select few). That's when I see how vivid the PT is by comparison, it gives it a 'Golden Age' feel that disintegrates over the course of the films into (tone-wise) darkness.

If the new film takes place in a New Republic or similar, I would expect it to resemble Attack of the Clones the most.

Mav Edit: No need to make it personal.

8. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    But if you're going that route, you gotta have skants:

[​IMG]

I regret... nothing.

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, if the women aboard the Enterprise in a Kirk-era Trek hadn't worn miniskirts I'm pretty sure there would've been a fan riot :p

Again, you guys do realize it's a different franchise, yes?
    I seriously doubt there will be "street clothes" in SW7 - at least not any more "street" than this:
    [​IMG]
    Hardly that hard scifi, futuristic, classic fantasy in space design.

jedinightwing and The Hellhammer like this.
  10. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Thanks a lot. Lawjedi. I spent like 7-10 years blocking that out, thanks for shattering my meticulously cnstructed lockbox.

LawJedi likes this.
  11. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    Well I'll be damned, Hellhammer, that's a good point. Still taking a wait and see attitude. I'm most curious about the pre-production design. Need Chiang-Church-Tiemens-Ryan.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Might actually see Ryan Church on it as he's worked with both Lucas on the PT and Abrams on his two Star Trek films. Tiemens was at LFL working on the live action show but no idea what he's doing now. Chiang was working with Zemeckis on those mo cap films of his.

13. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    Well that's encouraging. Come to think of it I did remember seeing Church in the Star Trek credits.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Ryan Church is probably in since he's worked on 3 Abrams movies and also 2 Star Wars movies so it seems like a thing, however he is currently knee-deep in Tomorrowland according to his resume on his website: http://ryanchurch.com/resume/ Other Abrams design collaborator to definitely look out for is Scott Chambliss (he does a lot of the ships & ship interiors in Star Trek) http://www.scottchambliss.com/Scott_Chambliss___Production_Designer/Portfolio/Portfolio.html and since they've worked together since Alias you can bank on that one.

15. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    This guy makes me very nervous.

16. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah, I really don't want to see the whole lame Bad Robot design team on E7. Their work does absolutely zero for me. Everyone will be bald & wearing leather jackets...oooh, exciting!

17. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    It's a pretty bad sign when we're already clamoring against Episode VII just by the person behind the costume design.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  18. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Some people have apparently already decided that they hate the ST.

Funny, I quite liked it. Seen it last night again. Especially like the twist at the end of Episode 8, really redeemed Kel Skywalker in my eyes. Of course, with all the bashing that went on around the casting choice... what do you say? I can't like it because the movie isn't out yet? Oh. What about hating it? That's alright? Okay then. **** you, Kel Skywalker, you ruined Star Wars in your ugly Michael Kaplan costume! :mad:

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Hey, spoilerz!!! :mad:

20. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Kel is Darth Vorenus' secret apprentice.

BAM!
    Spoiled!
    [face_dancing]

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Damn you! :mad: Well, I hope at least his Sith name is Darth Pullo then. :p

22. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Yep, named after his signature move of Force-pulling victims on his gladius--ehm, pilum--LIGHTSABER! Yes, I mean lightsaber.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  23. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm not "clamoring against" E7. I'm looking forward to the movie. But that doesn't mean I will love every last thing about it. I love the OT & PT but I can also be critical about certain aspects of them. SW is very visual, I'm not sure if there has ever been another series of films that is so reliant on its visuals to tell its story as SW. So the idea of bland visuals is a disappointment to me.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I agree. The costumes they have revealed thus far have been very disappointing...

25. Dr. Chaos

Dr. Chaos Jedi Padawan star 1

May 19, 2013
    That one sith wearing only black leather pants, leather jacket and leather vader helmet was really weird.