main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I actually find miniskirts pretty comfortable. They're more practical than longer skirts, anyway. But I usually wear leggings under mine so I don't need to worry about them riding up or whatever, and to keep warm. And yep, there were women in pants. Uhura wears pants later on in the film herself, actually.

Didn't Lindelof apologise for that underwear scene? If he learned from the situation, I think that's all for the better. Mind you, I didn't really have a problem with that scene anyway. Nor with the one where Kirk was half-naked.

But, I also think my background is different. I often don't see the big deal about this kind of thing so I think maybe I just don't fully understand the issues involved.

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I don't like miniskirts because it reminds me of the awful clothing worn in the 70s. Miniskirts, bell bottoms, puffy shirts, wide lapels, tube tops, platform shoes, halter tops, leotards with leg warmers, psychedelic clothing patterns...ack!

Iverna likes this.
  3. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Yes, don't forget: in the U.S., a brief and accidental glimpse of a bare breast on live television led to a plethora of lawsuits and network fines.
    [face_flag] Nipplegate '04[face_flag]

(I haven't seen ST yet though, so have no idea what this underwear stuff is about)

Iverna likes this.
  4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I like wearing miniskirts, but I do wear leggings underneath them because I have so much mobility during my daily life. Also, the leggings make it easier to ditch the miniskirt without having to bring a second outfit to rehearsal (one simply does not rehearse in a mini-skirt, even if one has leggings on, or one will face the wrath of one's director). And I prefer the '70s in style over the '80s. :p

I haven't seen the film, so I'm not going to comment in depth about the miniskirts or the underwear, but I will say that if the designs were chosen and the scenes were shot in a way that upheld standard of the male gaze in TV and film, then I would probably be irked at it, too.

5. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    [face_flag]
    How come we never get a Channing Tatum, Ryan Reynolds or Hugh Jackman in Junkgate '13? Are men's shorts so sturdy that we can't have a wardrobe malfunction?

LexiLupin likes this.
  6. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

He "apologized," yeah. But this is the same dude who said they had to include a birth scene in the first Star Trek in order to appeal to women viewers (and caused me to write a huge rant about it). So yeah. I'm not a huge fan of his. :p

Aaaaaaaaanyway. That's all. Moving on, moving on. :)

7. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Oh, I love me a good birth scene! There's no way I'd watch a movie without a birth scene. That's why I didn't bother with Star Trek: Into Darkness or Iron Man 3, and it's why RotS is my favourite of the Star Wars movies. I want movies to reflect my own experiences, and as a woman, giving birth obviously features prominently among those.

Yeah, sounds like maybe this dude needs a few more wake-up calls. :p

Idrelle_Miocovani likes this.
  8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    So true. I always want to relive the most painful time of my life. Maybe EP7 can add a C-Section scene for me...and don't forget to throw in a colonoscopy for the older moviegoers. :rolleyes:

9. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Damon Lindelof is a hack writer, so none of any of that surprises me. I'm just happy the writers from the first Trek were on board, so that we weren't stuck with something at Prometheus levels of unwatchable.

What concerns me of the things I've heard recently is that the Trek costume designer has been tapped to design costumes for Episode VII, and not that there's anything wrong with the new Trek costumes... but I don't have any proof that he can make pretty princess costumes. [face_worried] I mean.... priorities?

10. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    I love how their answer to "how do we get women to go to see a movie?" was "include a birth scene and a cute baby!" and not "dude, we've got a mostly male, mostly hot cast. Just put a shot of Pine with his shirt off in the trailer, that'll sort it."

Not to say that that's why most women went to see the movie - I saw it because my friends made me watch it, and I liked it so much I bought the DVD, because it was really good action sci-fi - but seriously, even if you're going off stereotypes and stupid assumptions, who the hell thinks "childbirth" before "hot guys" when it comes to what women like?

11. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Everybody knows Hot Guys can lead to childbirth! So throw them in if that's their thinking. I know every time I see a hot dude it makes me think about baby making. [face_laugh]

And don't get me started about Prometheus. I was yelling at the screen (luckily it was Netflix). When that crew member took off his helmet because he said "It's air" I was in shock. Sure it might be air...full of foreign germs and bacteria. And then that dude that tried to pet that snake looking thing? I was saying, "What the hell?" First of all it looks like a snake. You don't pet snakes. Second it is an alien creature that you have no clue as to what it is capable of doing...like killing you. Don't try to pet it. I thought the crew was full of idiots. At the end I was hoping they all would die.

Iverna likes this.
  12. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Prometheus was one of those movies that I braved in 3D and I'm glad I did because it was amazing visually, but I'd never watch it again because of the storyline. It was almost as if they wrote it, went, 'oh no, this is going to be a freaking 6 hour movie, let's not try to break it up or take out some things, lets just pack it all into less than 3 hours!'. For me the second half of the movie was like that in particular.

13. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Well... Chris Hemsworth was way more interesting than Kirk's birth, in that opening sequence. Just sayin'. :p

Commander-DWH likes this.
  14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I don't think anybody wants to see childbirth. I have no idea why couples film it. Are you really going to show that home movie to anybody? No way! I am all sweaty, fat and look like crap. Get that damn camera away from me! The nurse pulled a mirror up and said, "I can arrange the mirror so you can see the C-Section if you would like." I said, "Are you crazy! I don't want to see somebody cut me up and pull a nine pound baby out. Get the hell out of here with that mirror."

I was a bit cranky that day.

I really don't think women want to see childbirth in a movie. Do men want to see a circumcision?

Iverna likes this.
  15. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    JJ Abrams was on Conan the other night and he shared a clip of Benedict Cumberbatch shirtless in the shower in a scene that was cut from the movie. And he said that the undies scene was to balance shirtless!Kirk, but admits he didn't edit the scene to its best advantage. Nice that he owned it without being totally sexist.

The only thought I have on the miniskirts is, do they come with regulation Starfleet issued booty shorts underneath?

My new glasses arrived today. They're fantastic. Gonna take getting used to the darker frame, though. I've had rose-gold coloured metal frames for three years and these are plastic, black/pink plaid frames.

16. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, of course they would come with bloomers.

Unless Kirk puts in a very special request for his female crew to "lose" those bloomers when they're laundered. :p

17. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    The bikini pic was the only thing I have seen up to now. It was commented on in my news paper in a quite hilarious way.
    Some of the comments: (translated from Dutch)
    Don't listen to the criticals Damon! Xena and Leia became fanboy icons because of their bikinis.
    Google on Tits has a faster result than waiting for it in a two hour running SciFi movie
    You are becoming nostalgic when you see a lady strutting around unnecessary in bikini's

TrakNar likes this.
  18. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Saw Star Trek in 3D - not an eye problem. Did not see the 1st Star Trek reboot...but on to mini-skirts and all - yeah, very unprofessional (hated it in the 60's show along with all the other barely-clothed "Kirk's women") but at least it wasn't all the women, all the time. The underwear scene was very gratuitious - didn't do a thing for the plot. And really, equating a woman in her underwear to a bare-chested male is not really equivalency.

I admit I am a bit touchy about over-sexualization of women because I remember the over-sexualization of women back in the 60's and the struggles to be seen as merely female humans rather than sex objects/damsel in distress. Yeah, I'm old. Probably would take at least 2, if not 3, of you guys to equal one me.

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    RE: childbirths films. I'm kinda sad my parents didn't film mine, not that I would have wanted to see it, but because apparently it was a very gory and gruesome ordeal (there were massive complications so my mother was rushed into an emergency c-section with no pain meds. Apparently there was blood on the ceiling, my mother screaming bloody murder and a creepy dead alien baby at the end of it all). My parents could have sold it to some movie company and it would have been like the Blair Witch Project.

Do you guys know of any good clothing companies to buy swimsuits online? It has been years since I've had a properly fitting bathing suit and now that summer is here, I'll be doing some swimming at the lake. My problem is, my torso is too long for one-piece bathing suits and I don't like bikinis because I have an insulin pump, so I have a port coming out of my stomach I'd like to keep covered, so I'm limited to tankinis, but I HATE halter-tops because me and tying things don't get along. The only tankinis (and pretty much all swimsuits) I find are stupid tie-up halter tops. Plus I am... well developed in the chest area, which makes things even more difficult.

20. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I got mine at Target. Most swimsuits are halters because they only use half the fabric of doing full straps. But Target has some that are racerbacks rather than halter ties.

21. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    That's probably part of it. There are still a lot of movies where it'd be nice if the female characters had a more active part. Uhura did pretty well in that regard. Carol Marcus was a bit disappointing, she didn't really do much.

Although, I've seen people talk about the harmful effect these kinds of scenes have, but the guys I talked to about it needed some prompting before they even remembered that scene, that's how much impact it had. :p So I don't think it's as big of a deal nowadays as it was in the 60's.

I'd suggest looking online. Google "tankini swimsuit with straps" or something and you should get a few hits. I know you can also get swim shorts with a pocket for an insulin pump, I've seen those somewhere before. But Google should be able to help out there, if you're able to order things online.

22. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    That's what I disliked about the 60's show too and my newspaper had this:
    Gratuit naked is one of the most important foundations of fanboy tradition.
    Clothing of female superheroes are always tight and showing more skin than the males show. Exploitation but also a celebration of female forms

23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    You're not that old. :p Me and my cat exceed your age. Hell, when I joined the Army Jimmy Carter was President.

Briannakin!
    Force! Did you have to put that image in my head right before lunch. And you had a fraternal twin alien sibling? No don't answer that. I still intend on having lunch today.

when I saw Ryan Reynolds in The Green Lantern I thought, "You've come a long way baby!" (Okay, I just dated myself when I quote a 1978 Virginia Slims cigarette ad). The point is the Green Lantern's costume looked painted on...and I liked it.

24. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Ok, Jedi_Lover, me and two cats raise you...or something. Yeah, Carter was the first president I could have voted for - I went Anderson. If old age isn't failing me. [face_laugh]

I agree the mini skirt scene in Star Trek was short and not really blatant - I more rolled my eyes and laughed than got offended. It wasn't really gratuitous, but still - oh, well. Leia and her famous gold bikini - maybe not out of place for a "slave" and yet - I don't know - Jabba getting all salicious over human females - no. But - shrug - but funny that is the iconic Star Wars image for many.

Right or wrong, I don't necessarily mind if female roles are minor in a movie: characterization is more important. But casting, sometimes, should be more gender and culture blind. Still, Kirk, Bones, Spock etal are canonically all male and the center of the story, so no issue for me. The retconning of Starbuck to female in the BSG remake didn't bother me, nor did I cheer it - the whole series was a reimagining so why not the gender of the one of the main characters.

New Star Wars movies: now there's an opportunity to be gender/culture blind in casting. You want to focus on Skywalkers and a next gen - how about a daughter? Now, if the theme is sons and fathers, that wouldn't work, but it would for Skywalkers.

I give Star Wars huge props for adding more females and aliens than was common in those days - anyone remember the old thread on this board where a poster was complaining about GL going all "PC" because "everyone knows" females couldn't be Jedi, etc.?

When I write, I consciously try to think can this character be alien? Young, old? Female? Gender, because English has no gender neutral pronouns, so the "default" is male unless you state otherwise.

7 of 9 or whatever Jeri Ryan's name was in ST: Voyager -that grated my sensibilities - stupid, fan boy, gratuitous skin-tight cat suits - same for Troi in early ST: Next Gen.

Idrelle_Miocovani and Iverna like this.
  25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Did you have lunch yet? Because, no, I did not have a twin, that was a reference to me. Only I can make dead baby jokes, because I was one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.