main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Would it have been better to let Prowse do the unmasked scene?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Slowpokeking, May 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Shaw is good but he was too old, why not just let Prowse do the unmasked scene since he is Vader in suit. And he was around the right age(around 47 years old).

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Don't know.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess."

3. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    By that stage Mr. Prowse had burnt his bridges with GL.....I have read that he leaked imformation regarding the ESB and I really don't think he was ever in the running to be unmasked in ROTJ.

I'm not 100% sure but isn't he still banned from attending any official Star Wars event??

4. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Shaw was using heavy make-up and prosthetics during that scene. Age certainly wasn't an issue with the role; it was the ability to play the part. For one thing, Prowse certainly didn't have a compatible voice; Shaw seemed like the natural match for what the Dark Lord would sound like without the voice modification from the helmet.

Anakin's age is also left ambiguous with Return of the Jedi; there seemed to be no certain age in mind at the time of his death (Sebastian Shaw was even older than Alec Guinness). If anything, the only slight inconsistancy was age of the Force Ghost (even then, it was barely noticeable).

Jacob Aldrich likes this.
  5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm not good with having a guy who sounds nothing like his hypothetical son portraying Vader in one of the best scenes of the saga.

6. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Anyone could have played Anakin in this scene because he had changed so much when he became Vader that he didn't have to sound like Luke at all.....infact it wouldn't have made sense if he did.

7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It's quite clear he was very young when he became Vader, so Shaw's age does not fit, especially as the Force Ghost.

8. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    Prowse was cast for Vader when him and Anakin were two different people. I'd imagine that Anakin and Obi-Wan were originally invisioned to be around the same age.

Complaining about the inconsistancy of Shaw as the Force Ghost is a moot point as of 2004.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and LunarMoth like this.
  9. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I've never had a problem with Shaw. I think it's because when I watch ROTJ I'm still watching it as I did before the PT came along. I'm not thinking about the prequel story or Hayden Christensen. I'm thinking about Luke and Obiwan's discussion in Obiwan's house in ANH. Prowse would've looked okay I guess, but I don't think his accent would've worked too well.

Chainmail_Jedi and Darth Dnej like this.
  10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi knights.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darth Dnej like this.
  11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    For anyone wondering, Anakin died by the age of 46 so yes, Shaw was too old to play Anakin, and also looked like he was in his 60's when he appeared as a Force Ghost

12. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    Like I said earlier, Vader and Anakin were different characters at that point.

Because of Shaw's age, I assume that's how old Anakin was invisioned in relation to Ben.

13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Nothing on screen said about it, and most of the people only watch movies at that time.

14. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Those years between Mustafar and Death Star 2 were pretty rough on the body, though.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Yea true

16. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    Hard to believe that as long as this board has been around and the number of members here that the username Darth Vader was available until eight months ago.

17. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Prowse was a body builder, cast for his physical stature. He was not an actor, and he had a thick accent. Shaw did a fantastic job as the face of Vader, and there's really no Christensen/Shaw disconnect for me.

So no, Prowse should not have been Vader's face.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    This is not first time i have heard that question [face_laugh]

19. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    It's a statement, not a question. ;)

Darth Vader likes this.
  20. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    James Earl Jones should've been beneath the mask...that's not a voice changer, that's really Vader's voice!!!

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  21. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Yeah, that would've gone down well...[face_whistling]

22. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    No.

23. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The casting was for Anakin under the mask as well as the Force ghost. Prowse was not that kind of actor to play the scene with Hamill and his voice would have to be replaced anyway so why not get someone who could do both?

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    uhh cause Anakin is not African American so no Jones should not be beneath the mask

25. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    If Prowse was behind the mask, at least we probably wouldn't have minded seeing Hayden replace him digitally.

Shaw is perfect in the death scene, anyway. I'm glad Hayden replaced him as the ghost, but during the unmasking, Shaw is essential. Just the right amount of gravitas and vulnerability. And who cares if he was "too old"? Vader spent twenty something years in living hell, locked in a walking hospital bed and suffering goodness knows what kind of physical and spiritual suffering. Something tells me that would put a little extra age on your face.

Skelter and oierem like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.