main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga OT or PT?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Garrett Atkins, May 23, 2013.

?

Trilogy you like better?

Poll closed Nov 23, 2013.
  1. OT

78 vote(s)
    61.4%
  2. PT

49 vote(s)
    38.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I definitely remember everyone saying that summer of the 1977 that Star Wars was the biggest piece of trash because they left in Luke calling Leia 'Carrie' at the end of the movie. :rolleyes:

I just can't understand how it became the largest grossing movie of all-time??? ;)

2. classified

classified Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    The flaws in the OT are more material in nature (the production, the age etc), whereas its strength lies within the way the story is told through the characters and the narrative. With the PT this is completely reversed. Great GCI, cool, awesome choreography, costumes, blah blah, but devoid of the charm and substance that made the OT such a hit. I would choose story over presentation any day.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    ^^ Exhibit A ^^

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Oh, I wasn't aware this was a poll with right or wrong answers or I wouldn't have dared go against the grain...

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    So will I, but it doesn't make the choice any easier since both trilogies excel on story and presentation.

6. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Yup, gotta go with the Saga as well. The PT makes the OT stronger (especially in terms of Jedi's ending and Anakin's redemption), but the PT wouldn't be complete without the OT since it relies on its ties with the original films.

7. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    OT or PT? These aren't two trilogies from different series of films, these are six movies part of the universe. There are no trilogies, there is only one saga. I choose the saga.

I-II-III-IV-V-VI

8. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I have listened closely several times, and Luke lets out more of a sound of joy, but people think he says Carrie. But you know, a film about a "hero who people can relate to" who kills children has less flaws then a film where an actor may or may not have said an actor's name, even though the audience doesn't care either way.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I have to pick the OT! So much more fun to me.
    I like the saga as a whole but OT has to be my trilogy of choice. Going to be interesting how the ST changes things.
    OT only fans
    PT only fans
    ST only fans
    OT and PT fans
    OT and ST fans
    PT and ST fans
    The whole saga fans

10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Since I decided to become a "serious" SW fan, I have only ever watched all six movies when I do. Not necessarily consecutively, but I mean if I am in the mood for Star Wars, I want to be pulled into a galaxy far, far away; not get a glimpse of the galaxy, a glimpse of the kitchen sink, etc (Hooray for figurative language)

11. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I will put in another vote for the whole Saga!!

Though I did vote PT simply because of my top 3 SW films, 2 of the them are PT and one is OT.

12. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    You, sir, are a Seagoat after my own heart!!

Seagoat likes this.
  13. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    If there were saga option, I would have chosen it.
    But I never hid it, in real life nor here, I prefer the PT. From the richer and more complex story to the more human characters that go in downward spiral they represent movie art at it's best.

14. RyanMan12

RyanMan12 Jedi Knight

May 24, 2013
    I feel like OT is organized. PT with TCW threw a lot of the chronological stuff off. ST is going to be interesting because there is a lot of stuff to cover

Darth Dnej likes this.
  15. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    OT by far. Better characters, better (though FAR from perfect) dialogue, Much better special effects, more emotional lightsaber duels, more philosphical, more subtle, and more fun and less depressing or unlikeable.

16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    While I would prefer it if there was a saga option because the two trilogies form one consecutive story and are much better when viewed together IMO if I have to coose it would be the PT. More complex characters, more substance, and much more challenging ideas presented in the PT.

17. AntilllesRedTwo

AntilllesRedTwo Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2013
  18. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I love all of them to varying degrees and for different reasons, and definitely prefer to view them as an interlocking saga rather than two opposing trilogies, If I had to pick a favorite it would easily be the OT.

The OT are classic cinema through and through. They have flaws, sure, but this minor flaws are triumphed by their immense, constant charm. They are immediately relatable on a human level, despite (and many times in tandem with) the very alien surroundings. They tell a story that is simple but nuanced. The characters, and the actors who play then, all have great chemistry.

The PT, despite the admirably grand ambitions of the plot and the immense visual scope, I feel that the prequels have a sort of emotional impotence when it comes to humor, tragedy, and tension. A lot of little moments just don't click with me. The PT is very much the work of an older filmmaker, and that's both a good and bad thing.

Ultimately, both have a lot to love. They are 6 very rich films, and all of them are flawed and perfect in their own ways.

TKT likes this.
  19. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I prefer the Star Wars Saga by a longshot.

VMeran and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  20. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    By the way, how many of these "which trilogy do you prefer" questions are going to be posted on this forum?

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like both. My favorite SW films in order are ROTJ-AOTC-TPM-ESB-ANH-ROTS .

I didn't vote; not going to be "forced to choose" either.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  22. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Appropriately enough, the poll is sitting at 50% each way.

Make of that what you will.

23. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    That statement is funny as in the internet this forum is said to be one of the few gathering places for PT-lovers.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  24. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Why would that statement be funny? One can love both the OT and the PT. A large part (the overwhelming majority, I would estimate) of PT fans love the OT too. And one can still love the PT even if one prefers the OT.

25. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Contrary to certain people's belief, most PT lovers are Saga lovers. The only reason they get the term PT lovers handed to them is because they are not PT haters. Some, possibly many, my prefer the PT to the OT, but there are probably almost no PT lovers who are OT haters. Which is sadly not often true the other way around :(. We understand that the whole Saga is beautiful, and the one cannot live without the other.

VMeran and Valairy Scot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.