main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Fast & The Furious (Fast X)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Oct 4, 2011.

1. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I just saw it. Even if you're a spoiler-junkie, I highly recommend not going that route for this movie. It had some awesome genuine surprises.

Really, I can't say enough good things about this movie. It was absolutely hilarious (though almost all of the jokes are in the first half of the film) and the action scenes were absolutely top-notch and over-the-top as you would expect The explanation for Letty's return was actually surprisingly well-done(as well done as a resurrection explanation can be done, anyway. It's ridiculous, of course, but it's not Tony Almeida "missed the artery" ridiculous) as they did a great job of fleshing out the connection to the fourth film. The twist of Gina Carano's character being in league with Shaw was completely unexpected and very effective. And her death scene is fantastic. Gisele's death--sacrificing herself for Han--was brilliant and again, unexpected. Finally, the audience collectively lost their **** at the post-credits sequence, which sets up Tokyo Drift 2 with Jason Statham as the villain.

EDIT- changed highlight to spoiler tag.

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    [face_laugh]

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Seriously. At this rate, we'll get a new Star Trek TV series before there's ever a Justice League movie.

Oh and Condition2SQ: You're HTR failed.

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Can't wait for Fast 6 next week

5. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Saw the sixth one this evening, loved every dumb minute of it.

"SAMOAN THOR"

Dingo and The2ndQuest like this.
  6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Seeing the movie tonight

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Great fun- though one stunt in particular was hilariously over the top and probably the most ridiculous thing they've ever done in the series.

But the series has become superheroes with cars and I'm all for that- probably the closest thing we'll ever get to a decent Knightrider movie.

Probably the first film in the series where there's multiple scenes that are too stupid/cheesy on a character level, but I think that's just then embracing the series new direction.

Didn't expect the connection to the fourth film (but I suppose I should have, given Letty's role). Audience went nuts at the ending.

DarthTunick and BoromirsFan like this.
  8. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Yeah the energy in the theater was contagious. This film was a blast. It was stupid but who cares? The fights were terrific and the banter between the characters was gold.

Throughout this film I had a smile on my face. I have to repeat how awesome the fight scenes are!

Nick Fury doesn't need the avengers, he can just call The Fast and Furious gang! :p

9. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    The absurdity of this scene is basically what has turned the series into such a juggernaut; how meta it is. Whenever the movies hit the right notes, that's great. And when they're completely absurd, that's great, too, because the unabashed absurdity is a huge part of the appeal.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I suppose what makes it odd is that they didn't always become absurd. The first three films, to my recollection, didn't have any impossible stunts (maybe a couple unlikely ones, but nothing impossible that requires one to be superhuman- just highly skilled), maybe even the fourth one?

It's still enjoyable either way but you do get a Rambo III-type vibe when stuff like that happens, where they've taken the concept to almost a self-parody level of extreme.

11. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    At the rate these films keep trying to top themselves, I'm betting the climax of Seven will be set in space.

12. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Loved it!

It was just a bunch of dumb, stupid fun. Reminds me of the various scenarios I would put my Hot Wheels through when I was a kid.

Although, I have to say, that had to be either the longest damn runway ever built or the slowest plane ever to fly.

13. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
  14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I know I wasn't the only one* who was thinking of Professor Farnsworth's diamond tether during that sequence.

[​IMG]

*I hope so. :p

15. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Loved every minute of it! I don't go to these movies for plot or drama, I go for cool guys, hot babes, fast cars, and fun action. Got all four! Loved the way they tied in FAST & FURIOUS IV, and the epilog that brought the whole series together was epic. Sadly, I knew who was going to show up thanks to IMDB, but had no idea that it was going to be like that. The audience went nuts for it!

The only thing that makes me sad is that Justin Lin, who basically saved the franchise, is not directing F&F7 because Universal wanted it to go into pre-prod before he even finished post-prod on FURIOUS 6. Boo-urns!

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That is unfortunate- what these films are are very much his baby.

That said, his replacement had a pretty good vehicular sequence in Death Sentence (itself a pretty good flick), so I'm not left with negative concerns at this juncture.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    3-day estimate for the weekend is $98.5 million (compared to 5's $86.2).

Also- anyone else find it odd that the film was marketed as F&F6 despite the film itself clearly titling itself "Furious 6"? I think that would have complemented Fast Five much better.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm so pumped to see this! Glad that it's beating out Hangover III.

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    You will enjoy the movie, it is awesome

20. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    Thinking back on this, one of my biggest complaints is that considering the film's over the top nature, most of the villains deaths felt a bit too mundane.
    The only ones that stuck out were Riley getting harpooned and Han tossing the bald guy into the engine.

21. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    F&F6 finally opened today here, and I enjoyed it for exactly what it was. A lot of over the top action, cheesy scenes and dialogue and light plot. The little pieces we got fed were nice, giving a serviceable explanation for Letty, setting F&F3 into place and opening up a new direction for the next one.

I'm just wondering if we get Caleb Black coming back, or the only tie in will be to set up the next arc.

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    You mean Lucas Black?

23. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Yes, having a conversation and mixed the names while typing.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's pretty likely- these films have been revitalized on the hook of bringing back all the previous cast members. And I can't imagine Lucas Black wouldn't want to come back and be part of a massive blockbuster (and maybe some additional Han flashbacks), especially after he starred in the film that basically saved the franchise (not to mention the movie that was probably the only reason they set 4, 5 & 6 before 3: so that they could still use Han).

Although it will be kind of weird to see Walker and Black side by side since the latter was basically a fill-in for the former (but then that didn't stop Tyrese and Vin from sharing scenes, heh).

rumsmuggler likes this.
  25. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Wait... 4, 5, and 6 take place before 3? da heck?