main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Love for Episode I Darth Sidious?.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by King Terak, May 25, 2013.

1. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    Hearing all the praise for Mcdiarmid's Episode III Sidious performace, got me thinking that I actually liked Episode I Sidious the best. He was colder and just emitted evil better to me. His scenes with the Neimoidian's, "Viceroy, I don't want this stunted slime in my sight again" and, "Wipe them out......all of them", stand out as great quotes, speaking them with nothing more than a hint of frustration at times. His apperance was simple and effective as well. Does anyone else share this opinion?.

2. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Yeah, I'm sure someone out there does.

3. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    Actually, I think exactly what you pointed out adds to the mud of the story telling.

One of the big problems I have with TPM is, why would the Nemoidians work with Sidious in the first place? What's in it for them? The fact that Sidious is angry and belligerent towards them and insults them only deepen the question of why they would put up with it when they're the ones going out on a limb and taking all the risks.

The proverbial snake doesn't start out by insulting Eve and biting her in the face. Where's the seduction?

This also adds to the questions 10 years later in AOTC. The Nemoidians got burned by Sidious, who is clearly belligerent towards them, yet they are still working for him? Are they really that stupid?

I presume if George thought about it the Sidious we see here should be subdued and seductive not unlike his Palpatine persona. You don't usually start out by berating people you are trying to manipulate, you hook them in and then you reveal your true nature.

As for "Wipe them out... All of them" being a great line, does that mean if he just said "Wipe them out" he only meant some of them? Also note that their orders are to "wipe them out" yet they take the Gungans hostage when the battle turns.

Sitara likes this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I love Ian McDiarmid in Episode I. Those scenes you mentioned are great examples and another one is the Senate scene. The way Palpatine whispers into Padme's ear and manipulates her is just brilliant IMO. The scene is one of my all time favorite Ian McDiarmid moments and TPM is my favorite film of the PT.

5. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I will defintely agree with you on this, he was cold and quite subtle, yet menacing. He is my second favorite potrayal of Palpatine, next to Palpatine in ROTJ.
    Darth Sidious was one of the better aspects of Episode I.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  6. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Ian did a great job in that film. He played his part well, even when the story didn't have to revolve around him.

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    He was awesome

Darth Dnej likes this.
  8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Nemoidians are blinded by Greed and obedient to those who they fear. Sidious promised them that the taxes would be repealed and the Nemoidians feared him.

9. SweetZombieJesus

Apr 12, 2013
    So when they utterly failed at the end of TPM, and in fact probably did jail time and have their trade franchise revoked, why did they continue to follow him?

Darth Dnej likes this.
  10. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013

The PT is filled with these kinds of illogical actions by characters.

As to Sidious, I consistently enjoy the Palpatine/Sidious character throughout the PT. He is a highlight of those movies for me.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    They're so blinded by their greed that they totally overlooked the fact that their benefactor was failing.

People overlooking the obvious is a theme of the saga.

12. SweetZombieJesus

Apr 12, 2013
    Very true.

Basically they're being asked to double down -- double or nothing.

I still think someone who is greedy is likely to cut his losses and stop digging deeper.

13. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

I don't think it's a theme, I think these are badly written characters. Their actions make little sense, the Jedi are no better.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  14. Charlie512

Charlie512 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 17, 2011
    Yeah for all of the greed they have they are losing a bunch of money and resources following Sidious.

A greedy person doesn't follow if it doesn't get them anything.

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    fixed

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Power.

They are cowards and fear him. I think the movie makes that very clear.

TPM starts after the Neimodians made their allegiance with Sidious. Just because you see the plot in media res (like in all Star Wars movies), it doesn't mean there was no seduction.

They aren't stupid enough to betray Sidious. And what's wrong with keep following/serving someone who clearly helped them during their trial (which only shows the extent of his power):

"It's outrageous! After four trials in the Supreme Court, Nute Gunray is still the viceroy of the Trade Federation!"

And who said he "started out by berating"? Doesn't the movie start with the TF already in league with Sidious? They were already hooked.

We see them being organized in groups, which doesn't deny a possible genocide.

17. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Alexrd does raise the one possible motivation that does make sense. Fear. They could realize that if they break rank with Sidious he will kill them. I think we must concede that point.

So, I take back the point that they have no motivation, they have one.

FRAGWAGON and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  18. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    My favourite Palpatine scene in all SW is the first time we see him in TPM as Senator in the hologram innocently wondering why the chancellors envoys have not arrived. He is completely devious and evil. He is behind the plot and has just ordered the invasion of his home planet whilst playing the concerned senator to all his frightened and confused Naboo brothers and sisters. Totally sinister and McDiarmid enunciates his fake concern brilliantly.

19. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I thought Sidious in Ep III came off a little silly, but not due to Ian's performance. I thought the makeup came off a little goofey and took away from some of the impact his delivery of the lines should have had.

I think Ep I Sidious was best as well.

20. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    This is what I loved about Episode I Sidious as well. No one crossed him, no one messed with him. Even the EU made it clear, that when he spoke, you listened.

Sable_Hart and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  21. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    "Wipe them out...all of them." is such an amazing quote. Sidious is OK in I but he's for sure his best in III.

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I think Sidious is consistent and wonderful throughout the whole Saga.

23. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    See also-- Any Imperial Officer who doesn't immediately defect to the Rebels after meeting up with Darth Vader offering some underling "constructive criticism.".

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "This deal is getting worse all the time" and "We should not have made this bargain" lend plenty of insight into what the battered wives thought of their end of the relationship, even as they stayed in the marriage.

25. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Sidious made promises to the Trade Federation (Nute Gunray and Co.). Most likely it was the money they could make if they did what he asked of them. People say on several occasions that the TF is greedy. Then you add the fact that Sidious had to somehow be responsible for making sure that Gunray kept his position as the Viceroy of the Trade Federation they are never going to betray him willingly.

In the bunker on Mustafar Sidious tells them that Lord Vader is on his way to take care of them. They have been led to believe that it will be either money or some sort of business deal; instead Sidious can't have ANYONE that can identify him as both the Emperor and the true leader of the Confederacy so he has all of them killed.

The only thing that is slightly out of character for him in RorS is the kindness that he shows the severely burned and maimed Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess."