main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Would it have been better to let Prowse do the unmasked scene?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Slowpokeking, May 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
  2. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    Yea, it would have been good to see Prowse unmasked as Vader as long as they dubbed his north country accent, he played the character all through the OT and should have been given the chance to appear onscreen sans mask.

Love the above Frankenstein pic, Prowse as the unmasked Anakin could have worked well.

3. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    Here is a quick little mockup I made in photoshop for you guys and gals to help realize this idea. Now I wouldn't exchange Sebastian Shaw for the world, but I got to say, I like this, a lot. This would have totally worked in my opinion. Not only does he look the correct age, he looks more like Mark Hamill and also if your a prequel continuity enthusiast he does bare a resemblance to Hayden Christiansen as well.
    [​IMG]

Now play the unmasking scene and just listen to it while looking at this picture....

Jarren_Lee-Saber and DarthDuckie like this.
  4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah it's nice.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  5. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    According to some rumors, Prowse didn't get to do the unmasking scene because of his bad relations with Lucas. Still, I think they always had another actor in mind, since physical stature wasn't even an issue in this scene.

6. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    That mock up looks really good.

7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    "Ooo arrr, you were roight about me, me boy, tell yer sister you were roight, now get orff moy land..."

8. EvilQ

EvilQ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2013
    This is convincing as hell.

He does look a bit like Hayden.

9. Star Wars age 9

Star Wars age 9 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 29, 2012
    Dave Prowse was interviewed for the Forcecast recently at a convention and he pulled no punches about how Marquand treated him on 'Jedi'. I won't repeat what he said about the late director - for fear of painting Prowse in a bad light without you hearing the context and hearing it from Dave himself. But he was treated like ***t it seems.

10. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Aaaaaaand now you've convinced me! Prowse here and Hayden as the ghost, and I'm all happy.

GL? You seeing this? Tinker time!

11. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    No, it would not have been better to have Prowse play the unmasked Anakin, any more than it would have been better to have "Darth Farmer" (that's what the other actors called him) provide Vader's voice, or do the lightsaber duels in ESB and ROTJ. Which, by the way, Prowse was content to let everyone think he'd done, until Mark Hamill revealed otherwise.

I'm happy with Shaw for the unmasked scenes, and though it took be a bit to adjust to it, I'm OK with Hayden at the end too.

DarthBoba and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  12. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008

I think it was more David Prowse falling out with George Lucas rather than the other way around. Prowse performed all of Vader's lines when the OT was being filmed (so the other actors could respond etc.), but apparently wasn't told that someone else's voice would be dubbed into the actual movie. Supposedly the first he knew about it was at the premiere of Star Wars when Vader speaks his first line and it was James Earl Jones's voice.

13. PabloG

PabloG Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2013
    I did think it would have been nice to have Prowse be the face of Anakin under Vader's mask for the short time that this was required at the end of Return of The Jedi, but that's film politics for you. Reading everyone else's posts though have made me realise it really makes no difference either way.

That being said: who's to say David Prowse couldn't attempt some sort of better accent though? It isn't impossible.

It's like at the end of the new Star Trek I thought Shatner should have said "Space, the final frontier" misson statement bit at the end and not Nimoy even though only Nimoy was involved in that particular movie. It just wasn't Spock's thing to say... It just would have been nice to ask Shatner. (I know, wrong forum!)

14. Rowboatcop

Rowboatcop Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 11, 2011
    You would never ever trust that scene to an inexperienced dramatic actor. Especially a scene that's being shot secretly which means you have a skeleton crew and one day to do it. No way, not in a million years.

Dark Lady Mara and FRAGWAGON like this.
  15. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Prowse not playing Vader in the unmasking scene has nothing to do with his relationship with Lucas. He isn't an actor. The part required one. Shaw plays the scene brilliantly. Prowse was hired for his physique. Nothing more. That's why he was offered the part of Chewbacca as well. That he might have expected his voice to be used in the finished production is almost as daft as Peter Mayhew being bitter they dubbed him with animal noises. Heck, Lucas never even intended Anthony Daniels to voice 3P0. Only curious quirks of fate allowed that to happen. The woman playing Beru was dubbed as well. Prowse makes these things personal. Seems like he wants to attract attention. He gets no sympathy from me. He's managed to live off this saga for nearly 40 years despite having relatively little talent.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and FRAGWAGON like this.
  16. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Prowse also claims he is due a share of Profits from Return of the Jedi. I do not see how this can be true as he is such a minor role in that film(he is Vader only when we do not see Vader fighting in this film and Empire and there is alot less of those type of scenes than in Empire). Lucas banned him from official conventions due to his comments. Shaw was perfect as the unmasked Vader and we do not need anymore changes.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I wonder what might have happened if they'd picked James Earl Jones to play unmasked Vader? We wouldn't have had Hayden as Anakin, for one thing.

18. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    ....or Mark Hamill as Luke in the Special Edition either :oops:

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    People born of parents of two different ethnicities can be extremely variable in appearance.

20. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    Yes but they don't tend to look like they had parents of one single ethnicity. Regardless, it would have been a much mocked moment.

21. scotcat

scotcat Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2013
    Prowse was only hired by virtue of his physical stature, they did the right thing by hiring an actor to the scene. I thought Shaw did an excellent job.

DarthBoba and d_arblay like this.
  22. Charlie512

Charlie512 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 17, 2011
    Don't explain the joke.

23. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005

I agree.. The ravages of the Dark Side took their toll on him.

24. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I guess George should have made Anakin older when he turned to the Dark Side, in order to fit with the unmasking in ROTJ.

SlashMan likes this.
  25. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Just imagine that scene between Anakin and Luke in the hangar bay after the unmasking with Hayden digitally inserted. I'm betting a lot more crying and screaming.

Sarge likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.