main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul in Star Wars Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, May 22, 2013.

1. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    When Maul and Sidious lock blades for the final time, it looks as if Sidious cuts the emitters off Maul's lightsabers, hence why Maul isn't holding them anymore in the next shot before he's Force-pummeled.

Not quite sure, though. It's too difficult to tell. [face_thinking]

2. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I'm sorry nothing (in my certain point of view) can beat the duel on mustafar!

Anyways! I think we should let Episode VII resolve this story.

Hey, It can be done! How, you may ask? Carbinite.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    That would be very controversial.

JM_1977 and Darth Dnej like this.
  4. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

Well I said the "greatest duel since" not "greater than." :p

Darth Dnej and darklordoftech like this.
  5. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    How long do Zabraks live compared with humans?

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Yes, I think since Maul was brought back, then he (and perhaps even his fate) should be handled.

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Perhaps Darth Maul could be the guy who always gets defeated while Vader remains unstoppable.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  8. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    If Maul shows up in Rebels, I think that PalpSidious will use him to track down and kill Obi-wan as a way of avenging Vader's defeat (though he doesn't tell Maul about Vader). Maul eventually finds Obi-wan on Tatooine but he'll also sense an unusual surge in the Force which is in the form of Luke Skywalker. Maul figures that he'll kidnap Luke and secretly train him as his new Sith apprentice and with their combined strength, both Maul and Luke will destroy both PalpSidious and Darth Vader once and for all. Obi-wan will not allow Maul to go near Luke so they have their final lightsaber duel and Obi-wan eventually kills Maul and saves Luke. Of course, that is what leads Owen Lars to be angry at Obi-wan and wants him to stay away from Luke. That will give us an explanation as to why Owen doesn't want Luke involved in Obi-wan's "damn fool-idealistic crusade".

Darth Dnej, hlc88 and darklordoftech like this.
  9. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Absolutely.

10. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    I too was very opposed to resurrecting Maul, he was bisected and fell hundreds of feet down a shaft for God sake, he did nothing for TCW that any other another character couldn't have done and Sidious' ominous threat that he has further use for him fell flat with the hindsight of knowing he had Dooku then Vader to do his bidding (although the 3 way fight with Sidious on Mandalore was rather good). Please show Maul finally getting killed in a book or a one off CW special but please let the character rest. He was a good antagonist in TPM, but let him RIP and leave him be!!

Darth Dnej likes this.
  11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe they will have Obi-Wan kill him again but on Tatooine

12. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

I would support this ^^

13. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013

As radical as this may sound, I like the Duel on Mandalore more than the Duel on Mustafar.

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In fact, I once proposed the idea of Maul appearing in the ST and someone responded that she/he is done with Star Wars if that happens.

15. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    maybe that's what Palpatine meant when he said I have other uses for you at the end of that CW episode. Palpatine freezes Maul knowing he is going to be defeated in ROTJ, and Maul gets unfrozen and begins to rebuild Palpatines empire years after in Ep VII

16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    No he didn't, he did not know that he was going to die in ROTJ :p

17. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    Way to take away the fun :p

18. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

I could see this happening, it would be an interesting way to make "Old Wounds" canon -- but it would certainly not be fitting for Maul to go out in such a lame way after such an epic storyline we just saw.

19. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It need not happen right away, they could certainly find other things for Maul to do and stories to make use of him.

But when it comes down to his ultimate fate, his final, true death, I can't help seeing an Old Wounds adaptation as anything other than poetically perfect. It was, in essence, what gave birth to Maul's rebirth, from the design to the underlying story concept. And truthfully, Obi-Wan has always been the center of Maul's new narrative. He survived for years on end, beyond any reasonable or even logical expectation, because of his hatred for Obi-Wan. Seeing Obi-Wan suffer, seeing him die, seeing vengeance served―that's what drives every fiber in Maul's body, that singular hatred. He was willing to slaughter an entire town to the last child; he was willing to openly and defiantly challenge both Black Sun and the Hutt kajidics; he was willing to orchestrate the bloody downfall of a 700-year-old society; he willingly placed his own life in mortal peril against both an army of Mandalorians and against his master. All for the chance to see Obi-Wan suffer and die.

I think that speaks volumes. And I can't see any other story having quite the same visceral power behind it when it comes to setting up a death for someone like Maul.

20. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Indeed, Old Wounds allows for Maul's fate to serve poetic justice. The circle of revenge that so fueled Maul's very existence following his fall on Naboo, completed. I imagine they can adapt this story with Obi-Wan striking Maul down himself rather than Owen Lars, but that doesn't really matter. What does is that Obi-Wan can finally avenge the demises of those close to him slain by Maul's hand: his old Master Qui-Gon Jinn and old flame Satine Kryze. It's really only right in that sense. However, the key here is that Obi-Wan never strikes his opponents down in revenge; I imagine his purpose for killing Maul once and for all would be for the protection of Luke, as the future of the galaxy itself hinges on the boy's survival. That narrative being shown onscreen has plenty of potential to be quite powerful.

A question that I wanted to ask: if Maul's survival hinged solely on his intense hatred for Obi-Wan, would he finally be at peace and accept death if he had finally vanquished his most hated foe? I'm thinking along the lines of Darth Sion's ultimate fate, that once he had learned to let go of his painful existence, he was finally able to die.

hlc88 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  21. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Good question. And...I don't know.

Breaking it down logistically, there's an enormous difference between Darth Maul and Darth Scion. Where Maul survived on the hatred of a single man, Darth Scion survived on pain―his pain, the pain of others, the pain others inflicted onto him, and the pain he inflicted onto others. Scion had created an infinite loop designed to allow his own agony to keep him alive, which of course meant that he was forced to live in agony eternally. By his final days Scion was, in essence, little more than a walking corpse, and often even less: just pieces of rotting meat held together in a humanoid shape, kept in line by scar tissue and a constant draw upon the dark side to keep it all in line. Maul, on the other hand, now has the benefit of advanced cybernetics; his existence is no longer dependent upon his ability to bend the Force to his will, the machines will keep him alive and maintain his wounded body, and their ability to function may even long outlast his.

Then there's the psychology to consider. Scion was in constant agony. Simply existing in his condition was torture. And he had no true goal in his life by the time he comes across the Jedi Exile Meetra Surik. He only exists to cause pain, and he causes pain to continue to exist. It's an empty, meaningless cycle, and part of the beauty I find in Scion's story is that when he's confronted with the fact that he's living for nothing, that he hurts every day and every night for no reason when he could just as easily accept death and be welcomed into the peaceful embrace of the Force...he not only acknowledges it, but truly accepts it, and comes to peace with himself and letting go of everything he was afraid to lose, which had ultimately become nothing at all. What's the point of life when all love, when all joy, when all pleasure, and when all purpose is gone? But Maul, Maul sees his quest through the lens of justice. Obi-Wan struck him down and left him for dead, he irreparably wounded and maimed him, he took away his role in life since infancy and robbed him of the destiny he'd always imagined for himself. For every single day he was forced to bear this pain, every day he was forced to eat filth to survive―all the while slowly wasting away into emaciation, madness, and disease―every second of hiding underground from trash beneath trash...in his mind, it's all Obi-Wan's fault, and justice won't be served until Obi-Wan has suffered as Maul did.

Assuming, of course, that Maul could indeed kill Obi-Wan, I think the thematic potential there is pretty substantial. To bask and envelop yourself in the hatred of someone, to fashion yourself into the living bane of that single person to the degree that not even death itself would dare stand in the way of your vengeance...that's powerful. And that's ultimately corrupting, to balance your eternity on an instant, even if that instant is the death of the person who tore apart your life and left you a shadow of your old self. When the instant passes, can you ever look forward to another? Personally, I think Maul would. I read truth in his desire to return to Sidious' side, and I think he would try to reclaim whatever snippets of his lost destiny he could grasp. But only after Obi-Wan had been made to pay by Maul's reckoning.

Circular_Logic likes this.
  22. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Great analysis, Mia! =D= I enjoyed the rather graphic descriptions of Sion and Maul; the "beauty" one can see in such a macabre tale! Excellent point about the fundamental differences between Maul's survival versus Sion's. I never really considered this, due to my limited knowledge of Sion himself from KOTOR II, and the fact that Maul's cybernetics are likely now sustaining his bodily functions. Good point about him finding a new purpose, even one built around his desire for vengeance against Kenobi.

Now, I noticed you neglected to mention to the one thing Obi-Wan robbed Maul of that may well give him more (or at least as much) reason to hate the Jedi than just his lost destiny--his virility. :p To many guys, that alone should be enough to fuel that raging inferno of hatred sustaining Maul.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  23. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Thanks! I've always found the Sith Triumvirate from KotOR II fascinating, especially with how they seemed to embody the idea of what happens when the Sith go too far in their pursuit of power and unnatural knowledge. At what point to you stop being a person and start becoming an avatar for a force of nature? Sion―who I only now notice that my browser decided to auto-correct to "Scion" constantly throughout my last post―was especially intriguing, and though they are vastly different, I feel like he has the most in common with Maul out of the many other Sith Lords who worked so hard to stave off death.

Technically, I did mention Obi-Wan "irreparably wounded and maimed" Maul, so I think I've got my bases covered. :p

Oh, and BTW, I like your signature. Goes well with your Pre Vizsla pic.

Circular_Logic likes this.
  24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Am I the only one who didn't like old wounds that much? There was no tension, no depth and no interesting character moments to it. It was just a tired repetition of a confrontation that was already decided in TPM.

What I'd find more interesting now is Maul moving away from the Sith. After all those crushing defeats I don't think he can just go on with his life... There ought to be doubts, fear and frustration.

cwustudent and Darth Dnej like this.
  25. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Seriously, this would be the only way they could realistically give to wrap up Maul's storyline. The only problem of this would be wouldn't Maul inform Sidious that he had found Obi-Wan hiding away? Unless of course he goes off on his own upon learning of Vader's existence...

I will probably now be very disappointed if this storyline isn't covered in Rebels. If the Clone Wars can deviate from the war itself for side-quests, so can Rebels. And what better way to deal with Maul then make Old Wounds canon but changing it to fit that particular narrative? It gives Obi-Wan back his kill eventually :p