main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rumor Episode 7 to be filmed in Ireland? Filming starts in November.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Rancorrr, May 27, 2013.

1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I have to say, that's really grasping at straws. It could serve as the backdrop for any number of locales. It doesn't necessarily have to be Naboo. And if they are going out of their way to do location shooting, you would think they would want to utilize the landscape over there as much as possible - why go all that way only to shoot grassy fields when Ireland and Scotland have so much more to offer?

2. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    With the crew already in England for filming in Elmstree studios it would be a shorter distance to film in Ireland and Scotland. Who knows? I think Naboo is likely to show up at some point in the ST.. if that's the case, I hope we won't see an old Jar Jar around. Or it could also be some other planet with a similar ecosystem.

3. Sum-Wan

Feb 16, 2013
    I didn't say it has to be Naboo, but it's possible. Among the planets featued in the movies so far, Naboo is the one that is most similar to the British islands, except for Alderaan which no longer exists in the timeframe of Ep. VII. The movie will be filmed in Elmstree studios, so not so out of their way.

4. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Isn't Game of Thrones made there?

Is this the south or the north they're talking about? I think GoT is made in the north. Belfast. I saw a mini documentary or some such thing about the making of it once, they used a huge shipyard building (in the place that built the Titanic, no joke) as a soundstage. It's I think the biggest indoor soundstage in the world, or one of the biggest.

5. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    If they're filming in Ireland/Scotland it suggests to me an entire new planet that we haven't seen before.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  6. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    If they use local extras, maybe they can make it the planet Qui-Gon Jinn came from, hence the accent.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  7. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    you pay? Let me call my hyperspace guy, hook it up

8. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Isn't that site fake? And VII is suppose to start filming in early 2014. I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  9. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Naboo !!! Naboo means Gungans !!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO :mad:

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The Jedi Archives Library is in Dublin and the freezing cold island community of Howth inspired a freezing cold environment whose name I cannot recall at the moment. They could simply be shooting background plates for future use, if nothing else.

11. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

Except that Naboo wasn't filmed at Irish/Scottish locations. Don't make major leaps about a movie by a obscure hint at a shooting location.

12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Let's hope.

13. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    I hope this is true. Being Irish, a Star Wars fan and a film maker, I'd love to find a way to get onto the production.

As for potential planets, my first thought, based solely on KOTOR, is Dantooine.

Rawne and Sum-Wan like this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Where in Eire are you? I'm in Armagh half the year. For the sake of keeping this on topic, we can plot diving into the background of a battle or even a dramatic, intimate scene.

15. TheCIS

TheCIS Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 21, 2013
    They could call it 'Hibernia' after the latin name for ireland

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    ... and everyone would still pronounce Samhain incorrectly... mé éirigh as!

17. Sum-Wan

Feb 16, 2013
    Naboo is likely to appear in the sequel trilogy whether we like it or not.because it is the home planet of Luke and Leia's mother and also of Darth Sidious / Emperor Palpatine and that's a place the story will probably explore. I don't care to see Gungans either.

18. Sum-Wan

Feb 16, 2013
    Yeah.. Dantooine is a good choice too, I couldn't remember what that planet was before.

19. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Cork.

Shooting in Ireland in November is...problematic. Shooting any time of the year is difficult to be honest. We get a lot of rain and often seem to get all four seasons in one day.

That said, there are a few interesting locations like the Giant's Causeway in the north, maybe the Burren. There are certainly places could look somewhat alien.

20. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Well, it's been known to rain in the Star Wars universe. After all, not all planets are Tatooine (even though it seems like the greatest crossroads of the galaxy sometimes).

21. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    I could be wwaaaayyy off, but the idea of shooting just grassy fields leaves an opening for two possibilities that I can think of...

1. A Tatooine-type of open environment but fresh in the sense that it's grasslands...

2. Doubt it makes any difference one way or another, but perhaps this kind of environment gives the crew more expanse to work with when shooting, and vast open space could maybe assist with Green screen open-area shots so that they could add a background into the picture..(never learned how green-screen works to tell you the truth, so I'm not too sure as to if this "more space" really helps or not...

Just taking shots-in-the-dark at this point when it comes to a lot of this stuff...but maybe?

22. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Maybe they'll be filming scenes from Mara Jade's home planet, cus we all know that's where red heads come from.

23. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    while i'm sure naboo will pop up in the ST, i think it's a huge leap to say that they're scouting the UK to film naboo scenes. it's more likely they'll use the british landscape for new environments.

24. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I don't see why Naboo would be back in ST.
    It was "explored" more than enough in the PT and the fact that it's the birthplace of Palpatine and Padme is of no relevance to moving the story forward at all. A little cameo or a mention, alright, but more than that is not necessary.
    Move the story forward, give us new places. With the exception of Coruscant, there is very little reason to see any of the other planets that were done to death already.

Pro Scoundrel and spicer like this.
  25. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

I think the main focus in Ireland will be scenery so they may shoot those shots in summer 2013 or 2014 - I suspect most of the acting will be done in the sound studio......

LunarMoth likes this.