main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Original unaltered Trilogy on Blu ray?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Doug625, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Then my reactions should also be expected. :D

2. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I think I will head over to the EU forum to give my opinions, yet I don't care for the EU and don't bother with any of the EU books! ;)

EvilQ likes this.
  3. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Laser Discs came out in the 80's. It was the first big attempt at having movies in a digital format, which VHS isn't.
    The discs were quite big, far bigger than a CD/DVD disc and often the film did not fit on one disc so you had to swap discs or change sides.
    Video and Audio quality were a step up from VHS and with Laser Discs the era of extra material began. With commentary tracks and so on.

However the format never grew beyond dedicated film aficionados as they were quite expensive and the discs were not easy to come buy.
    And with DVD, the format has all but disappeared.

But one could perhaps argue that without Laser Discs, we would not have DVD.

Second, about your other comment on non-anamorphic. Extra materials like behind the scenes stuff was never filmed for the cinema screen so often it isn't anamorphic. But for films that are shot in widescreen and having a non-anamorphic transfer did happen when the DVD format was new, like 99-2000 but was very much substandard in 2006.

Lastly about cost, when Lucas made the 2004 set he did scan the original negative for an anamorphic transfer so at that time it would have been very easy and very cheap to first do an anamorphic version of the OOT and then add the SE stuff on it, which is largely what was done.
    Lucas just didn't bother with making a DVD version of anamorphic OOT before adding the SE stuff on it.
    As for cost, assuming that the original negative still exists, doing a new transfer and clean up isn't all that expensive, esp given that this is SW and they would sell enough to make a profit. Or it might be cheaper to take the SE version and remove the added stuff and just scan in the old bits.
    I also seem to recall that a film restoration company was offering to do the restoration for free just so that the OOT would be available in DVD quality.
    In 2004 Lucas could have made two sets of the OT, one SE and one OOT, with equal quality, and he could have spared himself some of the flaks he has gotten.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. Darth Liberatus

Darth Liberatus Jedi Padawan star 1

May 13, 2013
    How likely is it that the original negatives still exist? I assumed they were gotten rid of a long time ago.

5. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Txs for the info. But now that you mention it, the OOT was on the "bonus disc" for the OT DVDs, like all that extra materiel was for the PT DVDs. So if it was treated as bonus materiel then it being non-anamorphic sorta makes sense o_O

6. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Well unlike the extra material on the PT DVDs, the OOT was actually released in theaters, broke all manner of BO-records and won loads of awards and were and are hailed as a great series of films. So treating them like "bonus materials" might actually explain why people are upset with Lucas over this.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

vinsanity and Darth Dnej like this.
  7. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    I'd rather have all of the PT deleted scenes from the DVDs brought back to a future Blu Ray release. Those had effects completed for DVD resolution, and not Blu Ray. In a perfect world I'd want the effects to be upgraded to current standards, but if all we got was the same scenes in the same resolution, I wouldn't mind too much.

Alexrd and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  8. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    If you don't know what laserdisc even is let alone why it's bad, please keep your uninformed opinions to yourself ;)

I'm not trying to be mean

Darth Dnej likes this.
  9. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    You know, if you have the DVDfab program, it will automatically rip non-anamorphic DVDs into anamorphic​​​​ format. I've done that for a LOT of bonus feature DVDs.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  10. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    He probably doesn't know about Betamax either.

Darth Dnej and Star Wars age 9 like this.
  11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    You don't need a program to do that, most TV's already have an option for that. The problem is that it takes away even more quality to the picture by essentially zooming it.

12. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    I know about it, just never seen it. Betamax lost out to VHS.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  13. Star Wars age 9

Star Wars age 9 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 29, 2012
    But oddly enough: Betamax was better quality.

Darth Dnej and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  14. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    :eek: why on earth do you think they would they do that ?

15. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    gezvader28 Don't worry, that assumption is based on absolutely nothing.

16. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    You can't create detail where none exists.

Those laserdisc transfers weren't even state of the art at the time they were released in the early 90s. They have more in common with VHS then they do with DVD -- laserdisc is analog, interlaced, NTSC, non-anamorphic video.

DVD and Blu Ray film transfers have come light years since that LD transfer was made. All that releasing those old decrepit transfers accomplished was to stop people from ripping the laserdiscs to DVD themselves.

17. Star Wars age 9

Nov 29, 2012
    George said they were lost/destroyed - whatever - due to the restoration process [ironically]. Hardly anyone believes it though.

I bet the Metropolis prints weren't destroyed during its restoration. And they ran that ancient film through a wet telecine process.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  18. Star Wars age 9

Nov 29, 2012
    Incidentally, the Betamax version of SW is in my parents house someplace. My mum bought it for me around 1989 second-hand.
    It's strange that I wasn't that interested in watching it during that phase of my late teens/early 20s.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  19. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    No everything exists including Lucas' own personal dye transfer (never fading) print of the first film.

He kept everything. All of the neg material removed and replaced for the SE is simply stored. This was all done when doing HD scans of everything was still ultra expensive. Now it's simply a case of digital reconstruction from any number of alternate sources.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  20. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Wouldn't you have to watch Prometheus and all the Predator movies too since they all take place in the same universe?

21. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The Star Wars Holiday Special, TCW, The Ewoks and Droids cartoons, some of the Marvel Comics, and several nearly impossible to find short stories also take place in the same canonical universe. There's the line between the main part of a series or saga, and the "expanded" universe that it is in.

22. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Yes! Absolutely! (The bold ones are the ones I like)

I usually watch it in release order:
    Alien (1979)
    Aliens (1986)
    Predator (1987)
    Predator 2 (1990)
    Alien 3 (1992)
    Alien: Resurrection (1997)
    Alien vs Predator (2004)
    Alien vs Predator: Requiem (2007)
    Predators (2010)
    Prometheus (2012)

Though I have just recently watched it in chronological order:
    Predator (1987)
    Predator 2 (1997)
    Alien vs Predator (2004)
    Alien vs Predator: Requiem (2004)
    Predators (2010)
    Prometheus (2089)
    Alien (2122)
    Aliens (2179)
    Alien 3 (2179)
    Alien: Resurrection (2379)

Pretty fun either way. And yes, i consider both franchises to be perfectly in the same universe.

23. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    I agree with your point, but not your example. The Alien & Predator franchise are all proper films. They aren't cartoons, TV serials, or specials.

24. Star Wars 1977 Only

Star Wars 1977 Only Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2013
    I would pay any amount of money for a fully restored version of the Original Star Wars from 1977. This version won 7 Academy Awards, and should have won Best Picture over Annie Hall and Lucas should have won Best Director too. Out of respect for the original that changed movies forever, it should be available for history-sake because it was such a landmark film.

25. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    So when you watch all the Star Wars movies do you also watch the TCW film and the Ewoks movies? The Ewoks movies were theatrical releases overseas IIRC.