main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Obi-Wan Kenobi: v4 Fan Club a/k/a Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Valairy Scot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. ruth baulding

ruth baulding Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    That would make a good story too. I would read it!
    But in Lineage, Obi-Wan has an axe to grind and two sabers to grind it with. And "quit" is not in his vocabulary... so I'm afraid I can do nothing to spare Dooku your wrath.
    :p

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Ah, Geri, as I see it, Dooku is an amoral, rather than immoral, Jedi, who truly believes he is honing Obi-Wan to be a perfect tool of the Force. The problem with that is he forgets he and Obi-Wan are human, and amoral humans are, well, <shudder>.

For all we know, Obi-Wan may transform Dooku into a more compassionate Jedi in the end.

Or not.

Ruth: JarJar and Palpatine? Leaving Obi-Wan free to cuddle up to Panaka?

Angelnumber25 and ruth baulding like this.
  3. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Panaka is a good man. I like him. But it doesn't have the same charm as JarbiWan.
    As long as nobody suggests shipping Obi x droid, I think I might be able to keep my lunch down.

4. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, darn...

5. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Phhht everyone knows that the ultimate Obi-Wan pairing is Obi x Obi's beard. Or as I like to call it Beardiwan.

6. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Bwa ha ha!!!
    Look, it's even in the tiny-tot Jedi books as a /vocabulary/ word!!
    [​IMG]

obimom likes this.
  7. Angelnumber25

Angelnumber25 Jedi Knight star 1

May 31, 2009
    I think this is such a wonderful way to put this. I'm not going to say I like Dooku, probably far from it, but while I honestly hated him a few chapters back I could kind of see where he was coming from with the advice. It's not the way I enjoy seeing that lesson taught, but I understand Dooku's point (to an extent...still, poor Obi-Wan!).

8. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    He's not a bad master. here he is trying not to laugh at some snarky comment made by his new apprentice:
    [​IMG]

9. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm partial to Dooku.... he looks alarmingly like my dad, who - for the record - NEVER locked me anywhere, much less a Force-proof cell. It takes someone with great intelligence and mettle to handle Obi-Wan,so very few are qulified for the job...

10. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I'm more than willing to give it a try!

ruth baulding likes this.
  11. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    [face_rofl]

At everyone....good stuff.

Enjoyed the discussion about the merits of Dooku as master too...I can see in Ruth's story, Dooku doesn't necessarily have one foot in the dark side, although at times it seems that way...he just has a much different way of looking at things...things are black and white with him...not much grey area at all, if any. So his discipline seems narrower and harsher, and poor Obi-Wan...although perhaps needing to learn the lesson, seems to get the brunt right now.

It took Yoda, with nine hundred years of wisdom and experience, to break through to Obi-Wan...I love Yoda...but not at much as I do Obi-Wan...:)

12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    That's it, Deb, a world without grays in it is prone to harshness and defined lines.

13. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Indeed...as history testifies again and again.

14. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Ah, the point being that Obi-Wan should think about his choices. Siri or Dooku. I know which one I would choose, but of course Obi-Wan had to realise that he is dedicated to becoming a Jedi even if he was straying a bit, but where is the compassion that is part of the code. Is it natural and right to punish a young Jedi, in the way that Dooku did. I doubt very much that it is acceptable behaviour for a master to treat his young charge in that way. A council member no less, I was hoping that the council censure Dooku in some way.
    I have a feeling Dooku has realised he's met his match and the fireworks to come may have been worth all the pain and suffering that Dooku put him through.
    (Umm very deep!)[face_nail_biting]

At least he didn't put Jar Jar in the cell with Obi-Wan. With two sabres within reach there might have been a funeral pyre to light and alas poor JarJar.[face_rofl]

15. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

I would honestly prefer Jar Jar to never have existed...

16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    The thing is, Dooku didn't mean to punish Obi-Wan for almost getting it on - he thought he was illustrating a point. And if he'd sat with Obi-Wan, or only left him for a short while to have Obi-Wan see/experience what he meant, then it might have been a valid teaching tool. Really, it started out as a perfectly valid illustration of his words.

But Dooku let it get away from him and it certainly seemed to turn into punishment.

Ruth and I actually discussed this a bit as she was writing the chapter (though she has to speak for herself if my opinion above matches hers or not).

17. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Hello Obi fans! Sorry for my long absence [face_blush], but even from a distance i hope you all know i still think Obi-Wan is the best jedi ever :D, so hugs to all and i promise i'll try not to go missing for that long again [face_laugh]

serendipityaey likes this.
  18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Welcome back...[:D]

19. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    EEEp!!
    Yeah, that's about right... for Dooku this IS compassion - acting swiftly and decisively for the other's ultimate good. Personal feelings and a bit of suffering along the way don't outweigh the need to communicate vital lessons. He later /almost/ apologizes because the incident devolves into a pitched battle of wills - a failing on his part as a master, but certainly provoked by an indocile! padawan.
    The "grey realm" of empathy and subjective understanding and honeying the hard reality with affection just don't exist in his stark and pure world of high stakes and cold truths.
    I noticed in another story that nobody got mad at Qui-Gon when he /purposefully/ burned 12 year old Obi-Wan at saber practice to make a very vital point about the martial disciplines.
    So the line where tough love shades into abuse is very hard to discern, maybe....?
    Though Geri is right - the man has no /heart/. As we understand it. He has ideals instead, and "the individual is nothing."

Angelnumber25 likes this.
  20. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Eeek, imagine Dooks as Anakin's master. Dooku: all principle & ideals. Anakin: all people (he cares for) and hang ideals.
    Proof that dogmatic adherence to one side of a multi-sided complexity (trademark: me) is not good.

21. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Hello Veloz!

22. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Great thoughts! :D I do love trying to explore the idea of the 'greys' of things, I think life has a natural kind of bend to it... Lest it snap.

23. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Noticed while I was watching RotS that when him and Anakin step *out* of the elevator into the room where Palpatine is being held on the ship, this exact lighting is on Obi, but the shot is from very, very far away - I could not really see his beautiful face. In the elevator, there are no scenes with shafts of light like this, only solid light.

So maybe this is zoomed in pic?

24. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Hi, Ash!!

:)

25. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Hi :) Nice to see you!