main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Using the force with robotic limbs

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Hurricanejedi, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Not at first, though. Anakin was an unusual case: when Qui-Gon found that he was a podracer, and allegedly the only human who could do it, he began to focus on Anakin. The whole thing is vaguely reminiscent of Jedi Search in the 1990s EU where Luke was seeking out potential Jedi trainees by following rumors of individuals who achieved amazing feats.

2. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    My biggest problem with it is that it was a throw-away plot device (that did a lot of collateral damage to the Star Wars mythos). I.E. it was a plot trick to identify Anakin as the Chosen One (and another case of tell-don't-show -- I would have preferred seeing Anakin perform an amazing feat instead of having his blood tested) and then completely forgotten when it would have been useful in other situations, such as hunting for a Sith Lord.

Much like the super-speed running power Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon used when they were stymied by droid Dekkars, never to be used again.

3. Hurricanejedi

Hurricanejedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2013
    Great point SweetZombieJesus Yeh i would of preferred an amazing feat as well. It did just seem like a cop out.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I think you mean "did a lot of damage to butthurt fans and their mistaken assumptions".

You did. That's how the phrase "amazing feats" came up in the first place. You know, the analogy with Jedi Search.

Your problem isn't with "tell, don't show", it's with "tell and show". What you want is "show but don't tell". Or in other words, don't ever tell us how something works, because we don't want to know.

Doubtful, since that's how it went down in the film, and you didn't acknowledge it.

eht13 likes this.
  5. Hurricanejedi

May 8, 2013
    First off, love the workaholics reference.Arawn_Fenn

He performed the feat after Qui-Gon had his blood tested and had faith in him. Part of the force is believing in your self and your ability. Ie Luke not using the guidance system to blow up the death star and trusting the force. I do agree with you as to i dont think it damaged star wars mythos. I think that is going a bit far but i just preferred the mystery. I hate to swap genres but its the first thing to come to mind, In avatar how the planet has a similar thing going to the force, with everything connected etc.

6. SweetZombieJesus

Apr 12, 2013
    What amazing feat did Anakin perform? Pod racing? Big whoop. Looks like there were 20 other beings in the race. That doesn't exactly single him out as The Chosen One. He didn't even use the force to reconnect his sabotaged coupling.

TOSCHESTATION and Hurricanejedi like this.
  7. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Anakin is a human and doesn't have certain attributes that most aliens that race pods have.

Hurricanejedi likes this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Imo Anakins deed in RotJ was awesome on its own, it didn't need a prophecy as explanation.

9. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    How do you think he was capable of steering a pod through rocks and cliffs at 500m/h whilst simultaneously repairing it?

10. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Agreed

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  11. SweetZombieJesus

Apr 12, 2013

Too bad he didn't repair it, say, oh, using the force. Big whoop, pod racing. All hail the pod racing messiah!

12. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I guess you missed the line in ROTJ " The Force is strong in my family". which means there was always a genetic(science) aspect to to force users. I have no issues with Midis other than the lackluster introduction of them.

13. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    If he didn't repair it then how did he win the race lol It seems like you didn't even see that scene.

14. SweetZombieJesus

Apr 12, 2013
    He repaired it with a fat person grabbing cane. Not with the force.

15. Hurricanejedi

May 8, 2013
    rumsmuggler Yeh there is definitely a genetic predisposition. I mean Luke's and Leias kids are strong with the force/jedis/ I do agree that midicholrians where not properly introduced... (if you are going to have them)

16. Hurricanejedi

May 8, 2013
    Skywalker family i imagine is a extreme example. I dont think every family woud be so strong. Esp since most Jedi are not allowed to marry. I am not too familiar with the New Jedi Order but does Luke change the rules? i guess he can do what he wants.

17. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    But the ability to multitask at such incredible speed required the Force.

18. SweetZombieJesus

Apr 12, 2013

Maybe he used the force to sweep Watto's floor, too.

TOSCHESTATION and Darth_Pevra like this.
  19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Skywalkers are strong because Anakin was more or less a Force demigod. Luke got rid of the stupid Jedi can't get married rule the first chance he got.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's the difference between what one can do subconsciously and what one needs to concentrate to do. Anakin, without training, had "Jedi reflexes" (that is, enough prescience to pilot a pod safely through a dangerous course)- but telekinesis requires active concentration- like we see in Empire Strikes Back when we see Luke moving his lightsaber, and trying to move his ship.

21. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Your sarcasm doesn't refute anything. The ability to multitask at such incredible speed required the Force.

eht13 likes this.
  22. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    All of whom were human, and the best part is they all won!

eht13 likes this.
  23. SweetZombieJesus

Apr 12, 2013
    ©

So being "The Chosen One" allows you to "force multitask" and compete on an equal level with ordinary scumbag aliens. Gotcha.

Does this guy look like he's got super-fast reflexes?
    [​IMG]

Or how about this guy?
    [​IMG]

On second thought, not even compete on an equal level, since that's the first time Anakin actually won.

Gee, this opens a whole new can of worms. If these aliens have super-fast reflexes why aren't THEY piloting starfighters? Why aren't they Jedi?

If aliens are super-fast without being The Chosen One well then they must make super-great Jedi if they have any force ability whatsoever. In fact they should be better than The Chosen One at being a Jedi because a human needs to be oozing with midichlorians to even compete with an ordinary alien. I mean, the Force sure picked a bad race for The Chosen One to be considering how all these other alien races are superior to humans. Imagine if one of them was The Chosen One how much even more powerfuller he would be.

And the Caminoans should have cloned one of these superior aliens with their super fast reflexes not some stupid human named Jango Fett. After all, we're told that you have to be The Messiah to compete against these alien races in a pod race, we shouldn't rely on these apparently terrible humans to pilot fighters.

Whoops, there I go, thinking again.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Who says there aren't such aliens among the Jedi? 10,000 Jedi Knights & Masters in the galaxy and we only see a few.

They didn't pick him- Dooku or Sifo-Dyas picked him (they said Sifo-Dyas, Jango himself said Tyranus AKA Dooku). And the reason was- he was the best bounty hunter in the galaxy. Which is more of an all-rounder job- reflexes alone are not enough.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Who said they were ordinary? And what does being the Chosen One have to do with it? Review Qui-Gon's dialogue. He says it's a Jedi trait, not a trait restricted to Chosen Ones.

Can looks be deceiving? Do you claim to be an expert on fictional alien physiology?

How do you know they aren't? Is there a lucrative starfighter racing circuit in space which they should be competing in?

What is required to be a Jedi? Reflexes, or the ability to use the Force?

So who says they have any Force ability whatsoever?

Anakin being the only human so far to successfully compete with non-ordinary non-FS aliens with non-ordinary pods at podracing does not somehow mean they would be better at being a Jedi. Being a jedi is not podracing.

Lady_Misty and eht13 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.