main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The role of Force ghosts in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Barth, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Obi Wan will probably appear. Yoda and Anakin might but Obi Wan has a higher chance.

2. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I'm crossing my Fingers for a Hayden appearance!

3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    You're not alone on that regard!

4. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Hayden?? No thanks!

KevinM1 and The Hellhammer like this.
  5. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    The only ones that make sense would be Yoda or Luke after/if he dies...

6. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I have no interest at all in seeing that guy preach to old Luke about using the Force.
    It would be plain silly.

Darth_Pevra and KevinM1 like this.
  7. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    That is actually an excellent point - as far as 'preaching about using the force' is concerned. If we do see ghost Hayden and old Luke, I think they'd be more likely to talk about all the stuff that went down back in the day, or how to deal with the new problems.

8. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but what if the main enemy can influence the force to stop himself from dying and therefore cannot be killed by anyone living and only a force ghost can defeat him? (I've read the Plagueis book and I'm convinced he's gonna be revealed as the main bad guy, and maybe he's been in hiding, abolished the rule of two, and building a Sith army - but that belongs in the other thread)

Could this actually be the way for Anakin to really fulfill the "prophecy"?

9. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

And have him morph into Ewan?

10. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I would actually assume this to be the case, given the Sith/Dark Side ideal of self-survival.
    this part of your idea sounds a little more... out there. It would certainly tie everything back to the whole 'saga of Anakin' idea if his ghost has a part in ending the new trilogy's main conflict, but I don't totally buy the idea of force ghosts being able to physically interact with the world, much less the villain.

Further meditation, this subject requires.

11. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    I can definitely see them using Force ghosts in the ST. Like others have said, the most obvious would be Yoda or Obi-Wan (but they better have one hell of a good CGI Sir Alec Guiness) no offense meant to Ewan McGregor, but I don't want to see him as Obi-Wan's Force ghost. Anakin I can see come up to discuss the past with Luke.

However, I think it would be more interesting if a Sith Force ghost were to appear and start to turn a student of Luke's (if that is the story they go for) toward the Dark Side. Much like Exar Kun's spirit did to Gantoris in the JAT.

12. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    This is an interesting (and even more surprisingly) a relatively sane theory.
    Could be, could be.

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

It's more the force ghosts can have more of an influence of the force itself so only they can actually prevent the bad force manipulator from, well, manipulating the force to stay alive and heal wounds. I know it's out there, but it kinda all fits. what do i know tho?

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

Why is it surprising? I consider myself to be quite sane so why wouldn't my theories be as such? :p

15. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Because roughly 90% of the theories one these boards are stark raving mad and you rarely get to see something that makes a bit of sense ;)

16. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I would love to see Luke as a Force ghost--in Episode X, which is set long after the ST. I really hope they won't take the easy route & have Luke die in VII just because Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan did the same thing in the first films of the other trilogies.

In the ST, tho, there likely wouldn't be much reason for Force ghosts. Obi-Wan would be too problematic, Haynakin would annoy a lot of fans, but Yoda could be done--provided they do up a CG Yoda model that matches the OT puppet, not simply reusing the ROTS model. Ghostly advice might be welcome if the new threat is something that maybe utilizes the Force in a different way or is otherwise unexpected in some fashion, but 'realistically', Luke (and Leia, if they ever appeared to her) would have gotten all the advice & history from them long before VII begins, probably in the few years following ROTJ. Learn more about Padme, about Anakin's specific failings, about some Jedi history if there wasn't much to be found, about other ways the old Jedi Order went wrong, etc. Things Luke didn't necessarily NEED to know, from Yoda & Ben's POV, in order to do the job of confronting Vader/become a Jedi Knight, but would be good to know afterwards as he goes about passing on what he's learned to others and bringing the Jedi back. The kinds of things the ghosts would've likely told Luke in the EU back in the '90s, if all the PT info had been known already, instead of just a couple vague appearances in stories set before the Thrawn Trilogy and Ben's dream-farewell in HTTE.

17. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I agree, Luke has always had the ghost connection with Obi-Wan. Yes its true they all showed up at the finale of ROTJ but I think its Obi-Wan that will make the appearance.

18. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I say no Force Ghosts. They should go with Zahn's explanation of how they can't linger after so many years.

KevinM1 likes this.
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If only Zahn's influence would cease lingering after so many years... :p

20. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Absolutely nothing against Zahn, but yeah, we need to move away a bit from all the restraints that are all over the SW universe and start wishing and getting new things.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Anakin Ghost imparting Evil Sith Knowledge (that he's really, really sorry about. Really.) would make sense. Force Ghost Group Hug with Daddy and Yoda and Obi-Wan would not. Remember, Force Ghosts are basically used in the movie to drop exposition bombs and if anyone who is dead is gonna know stuff about the bad guy, that would most likely be Anakin Skywalker.

VanishingReality and Darth_Pevra like this.
  22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Well, what ever the case, I hope they explain why they didn't discover this secret years ago. For a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic, so I find hard to believe that Qui-Gon was the first and only one to discover it.

Garth Maul likes this.
  23. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012
    I know a lot of you won't agree with this, but Ob1 has the connection with Luke. Yoda AND Ben are the ones who should appear to him. Obviously it can't be Sir Alec, so it has to be Ewan. It's a movie and actors change all the time. Close your eyes, take a couple deep breaths and just deal with the fact that Ewan McGregor is now Obi-wan Kenobi!!

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Samuel L Jackson will lobby to be a Force Ghost who is purple. Luke will call out for Obi Wan or Yoda and Mace Windu will randomly appear to him, baffling both Luke and the audience.

25. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    No doubt.