main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Original unaltered Trilogy on Blu ray?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Doug625, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    No. Not usually. I don't add TV serials or Cartoons to my film marathons. TCW is great, but still separate from the rest of the SW films. I will not touch Droids or Ewoks! *shudders*

2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003

hang on - isn't Predators set in the future ? they're on another planet aren't they ?

3. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Predators is set in present day. They arrive on the planet after being abducted by the Predators.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Nope, its present day. IDF, Yakuza, certain present day African warlords. They are abducted and taken to another planet against their will.

With the exception of Predator 2 (which was made in 1990 but takes place in 1997) and AvP: Requiem (which was made in 2007 though it takes place right after AVP 1) all the Predator films are "present day". Which of course causes Prometheus to have some.....continuity errors....

5. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013

If you were a Star Wars fan in the 90's, you knew about LaserDisc, as it was the best way to see the films and contained bonus material.

[​IMG]

Even TPM was released on LaserDisc (in Japan).

Star Wars was very late to the DVD party (2004; DVD came out in 1997), so LD was the best way to see it for many years.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darth Dnej like this.
  6. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I believe they ripped the 2006 Star Wars DVD bonus discs from this laserdisc release.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    They did.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  8. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This stuff is just all in your head, just like with most people. We all have our idea of what is "canon" or what "counts" or whatever, and not just with movies/TV shows... and none of it means a thing.

9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Except GL has directly said that there's his SW universe, the six films (soon to be nine) and then there's the rest of the SW universe, his films plus the EU.
    Personally, most of the time I just prefer sticking to GL's SW.

10. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I know that, I was referring to the other guy's somewhat contradicting mindset of considering everything in a set or related to something as one thing and that since it is considered one thing, it all must be liked the same.

11. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I go off of the mindset that SW is one long movie. Do you have to like the whole thing? No. Even with regular films, no one is forcing you to like every part of it. I think there may be a slight misunderstanding going on here.

12. SweetZombieJesus

Apr 12, 2013

Techincally they used the same master (film transfer - telecine). Even more technically I think they used the "faces" Laser Disc masters which were different. It's been too long, I forget the subtle changes between the LD releases.

[​IMG]

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darth Dnej like this.
  13. SweetZombieJesus

Apr 12, 2013
    Some of it is coming back; the "faces" release had Dolby Stereo and was the last unaltered release; , only the 1997 se release had Dolby digital. I think the "definitive" ld pictured was an older transfer than both. And there were probably dialog changes and CLV/CAV differences too. "Faces" was done around 1993 from what I remember.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  14. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Not sure if anyone has seen this yet, but I think this warrants a bump:

http://www.theforce.net/story/front...ease_Of_Unaltered_Original_Trilogy_153321.asp

"As San Diego Comic-Con winds down, Bill Hunt of entertainment website The Digital Bits shared an interesting rumor on his Facebook page:

Something else discussed among industry friends at the Con this year: the likelihood of original unaltered Star Wars trilogy finally being released on disc in high quality now that Disney is driving the Falcon. Concensus is it's quite likely leading up to new films.

It's certainly not surprising to hear that Disney is considering doing this. They'll want to milk the existing movies for all that they're worth. The only question is how soon Disney can acquire the rights to A New Hope, which -- unlike the other five films -- 20th Century Fox currently owns in perpetuity. Disney won't want to re-release the unaltered versions of two-thirds of the Original Trilogy, so any such release would be tied to a transfer of Episode IV's distribution rights"

15. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    I'm a little confused by this whole Fox owning Ep 4 halting release thing...

Before the Disney purchase, Lucas released all episodes of Star Wars pretty much the way he wanted, and Fox was in agreement to the release, Fox distributed it... I'm sure both Lucas and Fox made lots of money off each release.

Now Disney owns Lucasfilm and Star Wars. Maybe Disney can't distribute Ep 4 under their Disney Productions header, but they still should be able to call the shots(as property owner) to release the OOT under Fox(of course Fox would have to agree, but would they really refuse?). And I'm sure lots of money would be enjoyed by both companies.

I know Disney is concentrating on new/future releases of SW, as well as the huge merchandising profits, but I think they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they refuse to release any type of version of Episode 4(or 1-6, or 4-6), because they don't want to release it through Fox.

Even forgetting about the OOT aspect of it, there'll probably be something beyond blu ray sometime in the future. Would we never get the most current version of Ep 4 in the new format, because Disney can't distribute it. I'd think they'd have to cave, and let Fox release it.

16. Padme's Love Slave

Padme's Love Slave Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 16, 2013
    Is that piece from thedigitalbits even a rumor? I don't see anything in it that indicates any information came from Disney. It just sounds like a bunch of people got together and decided "Yeah, it's pretty likely Disney will release the OOT."

Granger likes this.
  17. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Well, um, that's how rumors generally get started. :p There's no set of rules that says a rumor has to originate from a specific source.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  18. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    I have not seen the laser disc releases, or the '06 DVD 'bonus disc' rips. Were the sound and picture on those releases 'cleaned-up' -- like the THX releases on VHS -- or were these the exact originals, as released in theaters?

19. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    In order to go with Lucas's own thinking (preserving the past movies) they should be released. I always found him to contradict himself in this aspect. He funded the transfer of old Black and White movies to "preserve movie history", but not his own original unaltered movies...which were indeed a part of movie history. I much prefer aspects of the unaltered movies. The stupid new Jabba door in ROTJ, the horrible new Kenobi dragon scream in ANH, the dumb new band sequence in ROTJ, the stupid new rock in front of R2-D2 in ANH...etc, etc. Not a fan of those additions at all. I also think the Jabba scene in ANH was fairly poorly done frankly. It's already been redone twice now....give it a rest. I'd rather they add the "Luke and friends" scenes back in the movie at the very beginning.

Preserve movie history. Release the unaltered OT on Blu and be done with it. Movie on from the 30+ year old movies already. And, while they are at it, give us more of the Darth Maul scenes that were cut from TPM back for the PT.

I own the VHS box set from the early 90's, [​IMG]

As well as the 06 DVD bonus disks set. The opening crawl was changed slightly and a few little minor things from the original theater version.

20. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I still say the perfect time to release the OOT fully remastered on BluRay would be to coincide with the release of Episode 7 in 2015. You will have Ford, Fisher, and Hamill all out promoting the new film, and that will be a perfect tie-in with a release of the original versions.

It will be a happy day when I get to watch ROTJ again without seeing Hayden's ugly mug in the Force Ghost Scene standing next to Alec Guiness! [face_praying]

vinsanity likes this.
  21. Stormtrooper Dave

Stormtrooper Dave Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2013
    I guess I'm a bit old school, but I kind of liked the way the 2006 Original Trilogy DVD's looked. Brought me back to my childhood, really. Kind of like watching an old TV show now. A little rough around the edges, but the nostalgia effect is immense. Plus, they were the films as I'd seen them in the theater when I was a kid.

I waited a while before buying the "Complete Saga" on Blu-Ray, but I didn't really buy it for the sharper picture. I was more interested in seeing the grainy deleted scenes from the original trilogy on the bonus disc. If Disney/Fox were to release the originals on Blu-Ray, I'd buy those too, but I'm not sure I'd care about the picture quality as much as seeing them in their unaltered format.

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm pretty sure they are preserved (they had to for the 97 special editions and 2004 restorations). They just weren't released to the public.

23. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I hate to imagine how you'll feel then when you watch the ST and see his mug in the Force Ghost Scenes

24. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I have a bad feeling about this.... :p:(

I hope they leave Hayden out of the ST when it comes to Force Ghosts, as he never should have never been inserted into the ROTJ scene. You can't have a scene with one actor for 20 years, and expect ALL people to like a new actor inserted into it (Especially fans like me who watched the original version a zillion times from 1983-2003). Now I know the fanbase is split on the addition of Hayden in ROTJ, but I have hated the second I saw it as a rumor on the internet back in early 2004 before they announced the OT DVD's. I always loved the ending of ROTJ with older Anakin there as it sort of brought closure to the trilogy, and I always thought it was ridiculous to start inserting/deleting actors to 20 year old movies.

This goes to my point as to why Lucas should have always released the OOT & SE in every release, so the fans shouldn't have this silly debate. For fans who like Hayden, they can watch ROTJ/SE, and for fans who like Shaw, we can watch ROTJ/OOT. It's really not that hard to please the fans! :)

vinsanity and Seagoat like this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Actually if Hayden is in the ST I could maybe accept the change to RotJ. Maybe. Why? Because if Abrams gets some decent acting out of Hayden, a scene with him and Luke could be really interesting. He was a man who terrorized the galaxy for decades and probably killed billions. Saving his own son shouldn't really buy him a place in force heaven. Therefore, it would be very fitting if he stuck around and helped the next generation with his advice to atone for his sins.

Seagoat likes this.