main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Ben Skywalker Fan Thread!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Allana_Rey, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    Ben Skywalker is the best thing to come out of the NJO. I loved his character in FotJ (excepting the whole thing with Vestara, I could have done without that). I think the Skywalker family dynamic was poorly handled before then, but the Luke and Ben banter in FotJ was fantastic.

I'd love a Ben trilogy. And maybe not quite YJK, but something similar. I mean, he is only 16 at this point. Luke didn't find his own true circle of friends until he was twenty!

2. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Correction: 18.

3. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    Well, I was counting from FotJ. He's only 16 there, and that's the latest I've read.

4. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I think she meant Luke was 18 when he found a circle of friends.:)

5. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    Oh. [face_blush] Actually, now that I think about it, he was probably 19, given that Revenge of the Sith is set 19 BBY.

Marc McAllister likes this.
  6. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    But he had Biggs and his other friends before then.

7. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    Yeah, he did. I know Biggs was a good friend, but I always got the impression that the others just sort of tolerated him.

But Ben does need a good group of friends around him. Especially with everything he's already been through.

8. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    We really need a new Biggs-like figure in SW! Just a new character who come from a desolated planet and who becomes friends with Ben!

9. awesomejedi

Nov 7, 2012
    Yes! Preferably NOT a Sith *cough* Vestara *cough*

Jedi_Lover and General Immodet like this.
  10. Allana_Rey

Sep 2, 2012
    What's so bad about her? I liked them a lot in Allies.

11. awesomejedi

Nov 7, 2012
    I liked her too, actually, until Ascension.

12. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    Vestara irritated me - not that she was a bad character, per se, I just didn't like her. And I didn't like her romance with Ben.

13. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I think Jedi in the post-ROTJ time period have a too problematic love life...
    Although, I admit I kind of like love traingles in series/movies, but I do not like it if they use it all the time.
    Can't they introduce a character with only one love interest once in a while?

14. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I've been back and forth with some of the stories, yes, but I feel that Ben Skywalker has, as of late, really started to come into his own as an intriguing, engaging character in his own right.

Now, I know this isn't the Episode VII forum (and I knnow the makers aren't beholden to the EU), but I've come so far on the character of Ben Skywalker, I say make him the hero of Episode's 7, 8 and 9.

awesomejedi likes this.
  15. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    I know some are hoping for a Skywalker girl, but I'd really like to see Ben too. Give him a sister! Mara and Luke should've had more than one kid, anyway.

16. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Just decanonize NJO onwards! (But keep much of Ben's development. And, you know, existence.)

17. Allana_Rey

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke and Mara should've had a kid before the NJO.

18. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    THIS. Exactly.

19. Marc McAllister

Marc McAllister Jedi Padawan

Mar 14, 2013
    There is no way that the next Skywalker will be a female, and SW has already had twins - Luke and Leia. Jaina Solo works because she's going to marry the next Emporer, and he will be a benevolent one, and Republic and the Skywalker's/Solo's reconcile with the Empire, but imo that won't be the plot of the ST. I imagine the whole ST will be like the scene in Inferno where Ben is about to kill Jacen but Luke stops him because he's on the verge of darkness, which is a lot like the scene in ROTS where Mace Windu says Palpatine is too dangerous to be left alive but in the ST Ben wants to kill whomever but Luke successfully argues that it's too dangerous to kill the person in question. This probably won't happen as it's too derivative. 32 years after Yavin the one does not control the many, and never will again, but Dark Jedi, not Sith believe that the many are threatened by the few.

20. A Tool

A Tool Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    Ben is my all time favorite character, and the only thing, besides LEGACY VOL. II, keeping me interested in the EU! Loved him in LotF, and he stole the series in FotJ. =)
    I'd say that's in part to the fact he and I have been about the same age since Betrayal.

21. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I agree. She wasn't a bad character and I don't blame her for what she did at the end of FOTJ. She is brought to the Temple without a weapon. She is telling the Jedi that it looks like a trap, but nobody listens. Everything she did was to save her life and not done maliciously toward the Jedi. I think she got a raw deal.

Hopefully Ben will find someone normal to date/marry...not a witch, or a dead Jedi trapped in a computer, a Sith or a Force Vampire...maybe he meets somebody similar to Mirax or a female Jedi or a lady X-Wing mechanic.

22. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    Vestara was well-developed, had a great voice - I just couldn't like her.

As for Luke's very uncharacteristic refusal to believe that she could be redeemed... I kind of chalk it up to his fatherly instincts kicking into overdrive (lil bit late there, Luke!) and him being desperately afraid of it all going wrong for Ben. I mean, make a list of everything that poor kid has gone through, and how much could have been averted if Luke Skywalker were actually being... oh, I don't know, the REAL Luke Skywalker, and it'd be enough to make any parent a little... uncharacteristic?

Am I saying that because Luke was out of character with the way he was dealing with Ben, now he's being uncharacteristic in regards to Vestara? Hmm.

I vote for Myri Antilles! She's a gambler, a Wraith, no Force sensitivity to speak of, probably a handy mechanic, has all that Intel training that would mesh very nicely with Ben's police training, and she would make sure that Ben had fun. Give Ben a couple more years, then bring on Myri!

23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I wasn't sure if this comment was directed to my post or not. I think Luke not trusting a Sith is in character. What I was upset about was the attack scene at the temple where Vestara accompanies Ben to a location under the temple while the Void Jumpers were waiting for them to take down security. I just didn't think it right that Vestara was put in that position. I was under the impression that she went there because of her knowledge of the Sith. So when she tells Valin and Jysella Horn that she senses a trap...why is she immediately dismissed? She then gets captured by the Sith. She escapes and is running for her life and at the end she has to bargain for her life. I think she felt betrayed. She killed her father, she killed (unfortunately an innocent) to save Ben, but she was left out to dry when it came to the Jedi saving her. I am not saying it was a wrong decision. She was being used as bait, but she is a teenage girl...she is not going to see it that way.
    She is about nine years older than him, but when he gets older that age difference won't matter so much. I do like her. She was in Mercy Kill, right? I liked her in that book. I was thinking almost the same thing about her and Ben.

Katana_Sundancer likes this.
  24. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    I think him marrying someone Correlian would definitely be interesting. Han would love her lol

Team Padme and Katana_Sundancer like this.
  25. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I think if Ben was going to marry a non-force user Myri would be a good fit. She can definitely can take care of herself.

Katana_Sundancer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.