main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT This thread is about the term "chicken walker"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth Eddie, May 30, 2013.

1. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I always called AT-ST's chicken walkers and I do not know why. Apparently, to most people "chicken walker" is synonymous with the battle on Endor.

...Isn't that weird, guys?

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It's because AT-STs look like chickens.

3. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    All of my friends/relatives did too (as did I). I wonder where this came from... maybe some other movie that was popular and mentioned SW in such a way?

I also used to think of the AT-ATs as "camel walkers," which I then thought was weird. But then I remember another more recent movie or show or something that referred to them as "robot camels" and I felt vindicated.

4. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    suuuuuuuure...

5. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    It's all in the joints.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008

I believe that was in the "Family Guy" special.

Anyways, I always called them "chicken walkers" back in the day before I knew they had a real name.

And KFC should have tried to cash in on this. [face_money_eyes]

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    I don't know, man. I mean...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...AT-ST's don't even have arms.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  8. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Sure they do, just attached to the sides of the head :p

9. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    I feel like the term chicken walker was originally used back in the 80's to describe what at the time of ESB, had no real name. We knew that the walkers were AT-AT's (thanks Kenner!). Bbeing the AT-ST's were only briefly seen during the attack on Hoth (and had no toy until ROTJ), chicken walkers was a term I heard used by people.

The ones in ESB also had longer legs, which led to them looking more bird like when they walked.

10. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes. It all has to do with how people learned of names. If you were familiar with the Kenner toys at the time, you, and probably your parents because they were nagged about these toys, called stuff by the name on the package. Walrus Man, Rebel Commander... My mother still refers to the Mos Eisley Cantina as the
    [​IMG]

Personally I've never been fond of nicknaming, and "chicken walker" just seems like a non-STAR WARS thing to say.
    I'm surprised this thread hasn't turned into addressing the "AT-AT" pronunciation debacle. Pronounced like sayin "cat-cat" (me and everyone from my young years), or like saying "at" twice, or spelled out, even though none were used in the movies. While I spelled out "AT-ST", I never heard "AT-AT" spelled out as "A-T-A-T" until about seven years ago, but then I guess we got the "cat-cat" pronunciation from the toy commercial because it's not like it was in the movies:

Darth Eddie likes this.
  11. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    One of my favorite parts of Rogue Leader on gamecube was hearing Crix Madine say "at at". Something just felt so validating about it.

Are there any canon examples of "chicken walker"?

12. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    The term's so popular i've seen it used for mechs and walking tanks from other media that use similar legs, but i have no idea where it first came from.

13. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    I remember that the cheat to control an AT-ST in Rogue Squadron was "chicken". Ahhh, good times...

DarthBoba likes this.