main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion DEADLINE: No More ‘Star Wars’ 3D Prequel Releases; Lucasfilm Passes To Focus On New Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by rezpen, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    AOTC is a beautiful movie, but I agree the editing isn't that great, in places. Oh well.

2. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Pretty weird plan then, considering that their goal is to expand to a movie every two years, plus TV.

ezekiel22x likes this.
  3. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    To be fair, a film every two years never caused burnout when they were doing Star Trek films on a regular basis (the older ones, not the Abrams ones); the first sign of burnout occured once Trek went back to television and was also doing films at the same time (as you said, "plus TV"); Trek producer Harve Bennett remarked after the fact that the problem was this: when Trek was doing films, it meant than an audience was essentially, as he put it, having Thanksgiving once every two years and, through reruns of the 1966-69 series, getting occasional reheated turkey leftovers; after they started in television again with The Next Generation, Bennett said, that meant that audiences were getting a fresh turkey sandwich once a week, Thanksgiving and reheated turkey leftovers - a lot of turkey to be eaten by one person (one only wonders what turkey metaphors he would have made once Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise began effectively shoving turkey down people's throats).

In any case, I'm not sure LFL can sustain this claim of doing a Star Wars movie every two years; history has demonstrated consistently that one of these films requires a good three years to make. There's already some chatter about how LFL doesn't feel like they particularly want to hold themselves to a 2015 release date, particularly if Abrams says he can't do the job properly in that timespan. A television series in that environment has a place, as it can maintain interest in the franchise between films IF done right (and that's a BIG if); the trick may be to go for a different era in a series than the one being explored in Episodes VII-IX; with the end of The Clone Wars at least a possibility, they could take a year or two off and then launch, perhaps, an OT-period series similar to TCW; the other trick may be to do what comics have done for decades, and set the series in the same period as the ST and fill in the blanks between films. Either approach could cause the very burnout LawJedi says is a hazard with this plan, or it could enhance the films: it would depend entirely on the execution.

Jedirush2112 and LawJedi like this.
  4. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    The 3D thing was kind of fun, but what i liked was seeing Star wars on th big screen again.

As long as they don't outright cancel the OT getting released, I don't really mind. I'm probably the only one here who did not get a chance to see all the SEs when they came out. We only saw Empire in the theater, not Hope or Jedi. Just let me see the Death Star blow up on the big screen and I'll be happy.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It would have made more sense to release all 6 movies in 3D before Episode VII, having ROTJ in 2014 would provide a good link for the next chapter following on from it.

6. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    The films are not being rebooted. Too much of an effort is being made to continue on from the established continuity. The Star Wars saga is timeless, we won't have a reboot of the franchise, ever. Disney will keep them in rotation. I have a feeling talks probably fell apart at 20th Century Fox, we know they still own those six films. It worries me what may come of that if this does become a full out dispute.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Jedirush2112 and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  8. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Never liked 3D, can't even watch it properly cause I wear glasses of my own. I'm more hopeful they give us the rest of the TCW series sometime soon.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't like 3D much either but the releases were going to give me a chance to take my son to a Star Wars film in theater. He was really disappointed when they were cancelled so I hope they are released sometime.

10. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    That is a noble cause, indeed.

Indoctrinate 'em while they're young!

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

Yeah, that was the best part about TPM in 3D for me... getting to take my son to SW in a theater. I didn't expect them to ever revisit the idea of showing the remaining five movies in 3D in theaters after they announced the "postponement" (I read it as a cancellation). It'll be interesting to see if this remains a standalone showing or if it expands from there. I do hope it's all or nothing, though... either show us AOTC and ROTS and the OT, or just don't do it at all. I had honestly already accepted that it wasn't going to happen.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I had accepted it as well and honestly hadn't thought of it in a while until I saw it on the official site. I agree that I hope they release all or none but what I like about this is that it seems to indicate to me at least that Lucasfilm was being honest when they said they were postponing them to focus on the ST and not trying to sweep the PT under the rug as some seemed to think.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Definitely agree on that. The "OMG Disney is killing any record of the PT's existence!!1!" stuff was getting quite old. :p

14. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Not to mention ridiculous. They get the rights to all of the movies (well, aside from ANH) in 2020 and they plan on making money on ALL of the SW movies in their library, including the prequels.

Nobody seems to ever mention that maybe the reason Disney wanted to postpone or cancel the re-releases could be because *gasp* 20th Century Fox still has the distribution rights and would be the recipients of at least part of the earnings of those films. Disney hardly wants to help out a rival company.

15. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

It's pretty much a given that was the reasoning behind Disney's thinking. However by 2020 Disney may not be able to make any money at all out of the re-releases as projections seem to show 3D going out of favor lately due to the rise in ticket prices attached to 3D showings.

http://www.slashfilm.com/3d-box-office-projected-to-decline-in-2013-first-drop-since-2009/

So by trying to deny Fox that income they may have cut off their nose to spite their face. Assuming they ever intended to make money from the re-releases that is.

16. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013

I disagree; I think after sufficient time we will see a reboot.

One of the big problems with Star Trek was everybody loved Kirk and Spock, as good as The Next Generation was, Picard and Data just aren't the same. That's why the JJ reboot returns to this era of young Kirk and Spock.

Star Wars is always going to be Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader, the same way Star Trek is Kirk and Spock. Eventually they will exhaust all the new characters with Star Wars: The Next Generation, and then we will have more spinoffs, the Star Wars equivalents of Deep Space 9 and Voyager, and drive the franchise into the ground and the well will have run dry, and they will do exactly what was done with Star Trek. I predict this will happen in 15 years.

17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This scares me

18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Abrams rebooted it because it was recognisable, but also because new stuff like Enterprise wasn't very good and the franchise had been dead for some years. TNG guys were old, so either go something totally new or go with a new version of the old stuff. What Abrams did is new, just disguised as old stuff, if he'd gone with totally new characters which no-one knows and then no-one was interested it would have been a failure.
    Same reason guys like Ford & Hamill are likely to be in the new SW movies, people know them.

Star Trek ran out of ideas without the creator, there was no new material so they milked the TNG bunch and now they re-milk TOS bunch by doing them again with new people. Star Wars has a much wider universe with a bigger timeline, Lucas himself said there is enough material to do movies for the next hundred years

19. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
  20. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Well, I wouldn't mind seeing 3D versions of the prequels. Especially if they add a little extra picture with it like they did for TPM. But I don't have much depth perceptions, so 2D or 3D. It's all about the same to me.

21. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Agreed, This was great news to me and also gave me a new hope that they would release it in theaters. Episode II and II were the only ones completely filmed in Digital and would probably transfer to 3D really well if the not the best of all the movies currently available. Besides there are many kids that grew up with the Clones wars that will probably like to see the beginning and the end of the Clones Wars in the big screen.

[face_hypnotized]

darklordoftech and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  22. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    This seems accurate.

23. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    They should release AOTC on Blu-ray 3D asap......

24. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I still take this as a good sign from Disney. Whether or not they eventually release AotC 3D to a wider audience, they're handling this in a way that doesn't seem intended to milk fans for all they're worth. Instead, it's a nice bonus for hardcore fans who attend Celebration.

25. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    In Europe! Us poor old American's can't really cross the pond to go watch a 3D flick!
    :_|

JainaSoloYJK likes this.