main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Season 6/ Bonus Material Discussion (Spoiler Free)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by InterestingLurker, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm not convince Disney thought TCW was subpar. They think its good enough to commission a spiritual successor. I'm pretty sure this all happened do to contractual stuff and Disney's vanity. They eagerly want their own SW products out there.

2. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

It's easy to say that now, but part of what makes a good show is breathing room... the lulls between the action. If they had known the end was in sight, I'm certain things would have been different.

And I hate to break it to you after all this time, but TCW was meant for kids. It was on Cartoon Network (and not Adult Swim), and yes, it was for "Young Adults," but young adults are kids. That's the reality of the show; it's not absolute, and it doesn't mean Filoni and crew weren't trying to do stuff for the overall fanbase too, but stuff like the droids arcs aren't just anomalies in an adult series... they're simply more traditional kid-friendly episodes of a kid-friendly show. It was on in timeslots which kids watch, on a networks with kids programming. Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck... you know the rest.

3. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I tend to agree. But isn't Star Wars as a whole meant for kids? You can't really enjoy it without finding your inner child.

Darth Dnej and PraenomenCognomen like this.
  4. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    This is the arc I want to see come to the Clone Wars!

5. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

This. A million times, this.

It seems lame to admit it when you're still a kid, but it's unavoidable as an adult. I think even a big part of prequel-bashing was people not realizing that they'd grown up until a "wude awakening" by ol' GL.

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  6. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I don't think its lame to admit a part of you is still a child. In fact, with all the RL responsibilities most of us have, I take pride in the fact there is still an unadulterated part of me.

7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    "Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -- C.S. Lewis

8. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
  9. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Maybe not entirely applicable, but just wanted to add this quote as well:

"Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is."

The point is, embrace your inner child! ;)

WatTamborWoo likes this.
  10. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

Oh no no, I agree, I meant that for most kids, it's lame to admit that you watch "kid stuff," but when you grow up, you realize it was all kid stuff. :D

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Now kids show should not be an excuse for subpar quality, just have to say this.

12. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    No, but sometimes you gotta take a few Younglings and a one-foot-tall Republic Officer to fit yer deaths and decapitations in the same season, in the eyes of S&P.

13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yeah, I've always known it was meant for kids too, just not toddlers.

14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Deaths and darkness alone do not make something feel mature. Really, I don't think Cartoon Network's S&P cared about the ratio of cute Youngling moments to quad decapitations of 'robots' (cuz I've talked to a couple of parents who thing the clones are robots and thus the whole thing is robots fighting each other). Apparently the saying 'hell', necrophilia, and decapitations of folks they could not pass off as being robots like helmetless Vizsla were where either S&P cared or they weren't able to get crap passed the radar anymore.

TCW was aimed squarely at 8-14 year olds. I don't think stuff like the dude who committed suicide in the season 2 Mandalore arc are meant for Toddlers. You want your toddlers to watch something meant for them where people get beat up Power Rangers Megaforce is on at 8am every Saturday.

15. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Ah, is the necrophilia you're referring to from the episode Bound for Rescue where Hondo explains that Ahsoka's buyer doesn't care if she is alive or dead?

And though they insisted on censoring the word 'hell' in later reruns of Rookies due to complaints, I've always wondered why they didn't put in more slang words and profanities native to the GFFA, so that they can surreptitiously get crap past the radar? Words like 'kriff', 'crink', 'poodoo', shab, osik, etc. Words known only to more invested and knowledgeable fans.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  16. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    There is actually a precedent for it; it happened with Community. I know there's more involvement at the network level over there, but it's not uncommon for networks to say, "Give us something for the squares and uptight folks for sweeps, and do your crazy western paintball episode on the back half of the season." Of course, that's just content obscurity, not S&P, but the network can work their manipulative magic through S&P if they choose to.

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011

I'm not quite sure why they don't use GFFA slang to get things past the radar. Perhaps some of it is to obviously masked vulgarity which may also be against CN's S&P. They do seem to have relaxed a good bit since the days of the old Toonami block.

I never thought Cartoon Network had much creative control or production control over TCW or episode order particularly given how long TCW's production times were. I figured the TCW crew had some manual with CN's standards and practices at that time. I can see where drafts of things were presented to CN so they could say 'no' if they needed to. Hell, there is a slide on the season 2 Blu-Ray where Suu Lawquane is pretty much wearing a thong and nothing else. Somebody said, "Nuh-ah, atleast put some pants on.".

I'm not sure how flexible or inflexible the policies are now. Again referring back to the old Toonami it as a hurtle to get more Sailor Moon dub episodes aired because of content. Now in the states Sailor Moon was being cut down for children but in Japan it has a much older audience and tends to be a bit risque.

Funny how it seems Hub has a show coming up about a boy who turns into a female super hero. Its to bad Hub wasn't around back in the early 2000s. Maybe they could have aired Sailor Stars. The Sailor Starlights which are basically guys who transform into scantily clad female sailor soldiers were the main reason the finale season of Sailor Moon never aired in the states.

18. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The thing is before CN became interested in airing the show, TCW was well into production. Did they not present it in summer of 2007 and that was when CN said they were interested in airing it? The show must have been in production for at least a year/two years before the first season even aired so probably up until the middle of Season 3 production, the production team had free reign on.

19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I thought TCW was pitched to several networks including FX and it was CN that picked it up? It seems foolish to product episodes without a network or atleast be real far into them. I'm guessing when CN picked it up Lucas Animation began to mold it more to fit CN. Its a wonder CN picked it up with Ahsoka in the lead given CNs reputation at the time. Nothing else on CN really reaches the levels TCW did when it comes to content.

20. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Hmm, well I've just been looking at the history of the production of the show. At Comic-Con in 2005 Steve Sansweet confirmed that preproduction had confirmed on the series. By February 2006 animation tests and scripts were being done/written. By late 2007 no network had picked up the show. Apparently by September 2007 they were already producing/making episode 40. It was only after the first 22 episodes had been fully completed that Lucas started to shop for a network. Interestingly enough Cartoon Network initially was lukewarm on TCW.

This article here says a lot about the early stages of the shows creation... pointing out that Lucas financed the show himself. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/29/movies/29itzk.html?_r=0

Seerow likes this.
  21. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Amazing quote to give me here, Seerow. Thank you!

Amen to that! But many shows today tend to excuse themselves with the notion that kids' shows have childish quality and the bad quality of the show is blamed on the "Show for kids" label by the creators aka "Ultimate Spider-man"!

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Good to know. I wonder why Cartoon Network was look warm. I'm guessing that the intention then was always to make th show within reason how the wanted, cut it down for CN if needed, and release the unedited Blu-ray. Its almost like what happened when Anime gets dubbed and shownn on U.S. TV.

People throw the 'kids show' excuse around all the time. Which in the end you do have to recognize when a show is a kids show and that their are limitations on that. Worse, certain things in these cartoons like TCW's use of villains scream kids show and it'll remind you of it. I balance that with what a quality action cartoon carrying the TV-7 or TV-PG rating should be like. Great animation, shouldn't talk down to the audience, should still be accessible to adults, crap past the censors, complex characters, and fun stories. Most of all it should just be fun to watch.

23. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    No thanks. Star Wars: The Clone Wars pretty much destroyed everything the Dark Horse Comics did, can't the microseries be left in peace?

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  24. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I liked the Micro Series, I think the Clone Wars can elaborate on the story line a bit!

^:)^

25. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Well true. They could show aspects of the battle that were never fully elaborated on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.