main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I just paraphrased what other people had said. I'm not sure if it's a direct quote-- or if it came from Roddenberry or someone else involved with Trek or a fan. I think an anecdote from Patrick Stewart illustrates it well. When he was first cast as Picard, an idiot reporter asked Roddenberry at a press conference, "Wouldn't they have cured baldness by the 24th century?"

Roddenberry responded, "Shut the **** up." ...Well, no. He said, "In the 24th century, no one would care." I get the impression in these movies that Kirk would say, "Hahaha, look at baldy!" and then adjust his toupee. :p

That's not to say humans should be "perfect," although Roddenberry sometimes got those notions which is why he was rightly kept the hell away from scripts most of the time.

Darth_Invidious and Souderwan like this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Fun factoid: (since Guy brought Stewart and the baldness question up) When Stewart went in to audition for Picard he did do so with a toupee on. Sometime during that audition he was either asked to remove the toupee or he asked if he could remove it (It's been awhile since I read it, so I forget precisely how the story went), and removed the hairpiece. Evidently those involved with casting liked the au natural look, since he got the part sans toupee.

Jedi Merkurian and Souderwan like this.
  3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, he was better than evil Romulan Bruce Banner :p

4. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    To be fair, Original Kirk AND Shatner would probably all do the same thing.

5. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Eh, Final Frontier Kirk maybe, 'cause it was a Shatner ego fest.

"What does a man without a magnificent head of hair need with a starship?"

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I NEED MY PAIN!

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I thought that was actually the best (and one of like two "good") scene in the whole film, even though it made no sense how the other characters could see the visions. :p Not saying much, I know.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  8. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    What's the other one?

9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I-- um-- er-- well, come to think of it, it's just the line, "What does God need with a starship?"

Darth_Invidious and dp4m like this.
  10. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Is that the one where Kirk climbs the mountain at the beginning? Because that is a good scene as well.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    He shows that stupid rock who the real El Capitan is.

Darth_Invidious and Juliet316 like this.
  12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    There's also Bones saying "You don't ask the Almighty for his ID"

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Loved the camping scenes (which is why I can never really trash the film, regardless of how WTF-y the overall 'god' plot is). Very good character moments in those.

14. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Per dp4m 's return on budget numbers, Star Trek into Darkness is definitely shaping up to be potentially the second worst-performing Trek film ever, somewhere in the ST IX or ST V range.

Domestically, it's likely to squeak to $200 million. Maybe it will do slightly better than 09 Trek abroad and make $150-170 million. If it makes $370 million worldwide, it will be about on par with Insurrection. Even if it earns another $100 million on ancillary revenue, it will be an extremely marginal performer.

ST II (OC) 8.82
    ST IV (OC) 6.33
    ST III (OC) 5.44
    ST VI (OC) 3.59
    ST VII (NG + S) 3.37
    ST VIII (NG) 3.24
    Star Trek (OC) 3.02
    ST XI (NC + N) 2.56
    <<<<<ST XII (NC+N) ~1.95
    ST IX (NG) 1.93
    ST V (OC) 1.91
    ST X (NG) 1.12

OC = original cast
    NG = Next Generation cast
    NG + S = Next Gen + Shatner
    NC + N) = new cast + Nimoy

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That's also assuming we have the proper budget as well; marketing numbers are a bit shaky usually, iirc.

What's shocking to me, in preparation of checking Man of Steel is how in the name of Zeus' butthole did Superman Returns cost 270 million dollars? Did they roll all of the abortive attempts at making a Superman film into that?

16. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    It's not the "best preforming Star Trek" because look at what it went up against: Disney/Marvel's Iron Man 3 and Fast 6.

17. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    would not be surprised if that were the case, that the development costs of all the failed interim efforts were piled into the total.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the case with Superman.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, what you're saying is those movies are better than STID? Because competition theoretically should be agnostic if one movie is dramatically better than the others...

Or, to put another way, The Wrath of Khan opened the week after Rocky III and the same weekend as Poltergeist and the week before E.T. then Blade Runner shortly thereafter. Blade Runner didn't do as well, but the first four were all in the top-10 for the year...

20. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

Oh no, I'm not saying that at all. But I'm saying is that it went up against Disney's followup to Iron Man after The Avengers and then you also had Fast 6 (which I didn't think that was good at all and I do not understand why it makes so much money) and Star Trek landed itself right in the dead zone between those two. I think Into Darkness was vastly superior to those two movies.

21. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    It was kind of the same way with Star Trek: The Motion Picture. It cost $40 million to make in 1979 (a big deal at the time), but the costs of scuttled Trek revival projects like the aborted Star Trek: Phase II series (which had scripts, test footage, and a replacement Vulcan character if Leonard Nimoy didn't want to come back to play Spock-long story) were rolled into the film's final budget.

These things happen in Hollywood, I guess. Hollywood accounting, I suppose.

22. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    With those numbers I foresee an end to Trek movies (for the time being) and a return to TV. But then again I'm really bad at predicting the future.

23. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Half of that $270M is probably what would have gone to Nick Cage and Beyonce if they had indeed ended up playing Superman and Lois Lane (which was rumored that Beyonce was up for when Cage was attached to his version of Superman before it was scuttled)

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I really, really think it's a bit premature, if not wrong altogether, to say that the Abrams reboot is a failure in terms of box office receipts. Studios don't necessarily have a set formula to measure a film's "success" as far as I know, and there's always DVD/Blu-ray sales, licensing it to HBO and Netflix, etc. Despite the fact that I didn't like it, most critics and most audiences did, and that does count a great deal, so.

That said, I'd definitely like an original TV show set in the "prime" universe with new characters because TV lends itself better to Trek and... most stories in general. A semi-serialized format of 12-15 episodes-- maybe a season-long arc with one-shots in-between-- would be great. It would absolutely have to be put in the right hands (see: someone who will keep the idealism) for me to like it, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.