main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series How should Vader be handled in the series?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by InterestingLurker, Jun 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Here are my thoughts from the Discussion thread on Star Wars: Rebels.

So, how do YOU think he should be handled in the series?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    If they show him in any way it should be a dangerous adversary that you should avoid at all cost.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Keep him relatively consistent with the OT. I didn't even like the guy in ANH or ESB but I still think that's how he should appear in the most part. Don't do a Zahn and make him the pet villain's *****.

Show Palpatine training him, and I think that should be done the way Plagueis trained Palpatine in that novel: psychological torture by making him repeat over and over again how he slaughtered all the Jedi in the Temple and choked Padme (in the ROTS novelization, all he could think of was 'closing her lying mouth').

V-2 and fett 4 like this.
  4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    The only advise I have at this time is handle him with care and I guess if ever there was a case to make a character over powered and unstoppable when he appears its Vader. He can't have a rival. We need OCs so rivalries can be built up which make for good storylines. You can't just have rag-tag rebels vs Empire you need to have stuff llke high imperial officer vs Rebel hero Jones and stuff like that. Vader should probably be a character who only appears occasionally as others have suggested but I doubt that's how he'll be handled. Vader just standing on screen is probably a ratings booster.

Original Oatmeal and Darth_Pevra like this.
  5. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    It will also be a challenge how he is animated.

I thought the Tarkin animation looked like the character in ROTS. Very well done. Dooku did not really look like Christopher Lee but it still had its own meancing nature and so added another dimension to Dooku's character. Again very well done.

So animating Vader could be accurate to what we know, or take some artistic licence.

6. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Obi-Wan was well done - so much so that when he got his head shaved in Deception, he looked like Mark Renton.

I thought that was pretty cool.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  7. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    What if he's handled kinda like Aku in Samurai Jack? Not literally omniscient, but in the spiritual role of "evil narrator." That would inject some pulp flavor, allow him to show up frequently without actually being involved in the action...

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I hope they handle him properly and show him as a evil menace you don't want to screw with and have him hunt down some Jedi like he did in Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader

9. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

Wait, what? You don't want him hunting down Jedi? That's kind of his whole deal...

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Uhhh, read the post again, i said Have him hunt down some Jedi!!!!

Darth_Pevra and darklordoftech like this.
  11. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    OH, ha! I read it this way:

12. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Although it's not good form to quote yourself, I'll just add a litany of my own musings from other threads to respond to the question here:

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Vader needs to be what he always should have been, living Force terror.

He needs to **** up Jedi big time with the Force, even in suited form he is more powerful than any living Jedi yet the movies never showed that.

14. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    Show him as a startegist and as a master of maipulatior, not just a strong thug. Alexander Freed is one of the few authours that showed him evolving into that direction.

15. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    They wouldn't do to him what TCW did to Grievous would they?

16. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    The most important part is to don't contradict the OT. Like him meeting Obi Wan during the series purely because of the fan service (like Darth Maul in Clone Wars).

And make him a powerful ruthless badass. Not simply the Emperor's angry pet.

Apophis_ and Darth_Pevra like this.
  17. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Also, he should have an awesome rivalry relationship with Palpatine and Maul(if he's in the series). Vader's relationships in the series are going to be important if they want to make him an interesting character to new fans. I would also like to see some Vader/Mara Jade interactions as well as a look at how Daine Jir got Vader's respect(heck, Daine Jir could even be shown to be Vader's righthand man).

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  18. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Well I hope Grevious is not a sign of whats to come.

19. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Grievous is a sign showing that Lucas and Tartakovsky had two very different visions for the cyborg General; all of them sucked(yes, even the micro-series version).

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe they should Vader's relationship with Appo, cause i believe that Vader had great respect for him before Appo died

21. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I dunno. Appo dies too soon. It would suck if his character were to be developed only for him to die shortly after the Empire is created.

22. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    For all we know Rex or Cody might be in this and Appo's fate in the novel might be retconned.

Regardless it would be nice to seem them develop friendships/relationships Vader has during the 20 year gap, he didn't hate everyone and he respected, like he did as Anakin, valor in battle and knowing what you're doing, he doesn't have to be a badass who hates everything and everyone.

23. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm in the "use Vader sparingly" camp... and in his few appearances, VERY few should be about hunting down Jedi, ESPECIALLY if it's set close to ANH. Most Jedi still alive should be in hiding, and "ex-Jedi" anyway--the few idiots who don't quit being Jedi would be the ones to get hunted down, or the few unlucky enough to be nearby when Vader passes through some area, close enough for him to sense or recognize. The rest of the Purge survivors are probably pretty safe unless they're really bad at hiding in a galaxy with at least hundreds of thousands of worlds that support life (if not millions).

24. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    They should show his better relationship with the rank and file troopers of the 501st. Most of them were proud to serve under Vader. All we've seen previously onscreen are the admirals and captains of the Imperial Navy, who hate and fear him.

25. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Have you read Alliegance, Zahn makes Vader her b@#@h and a stupid one at that.

I have 2 fears
    1) They use the Chad Vader voice from the Force Unleashed and that Fave character vote promo.
    2) They do with him and Obi-wan what they did with Anakin and Dooku and multiple fights that got more and more absurd, so ANH's line would have to be changed to "I'v been waiting for you Obi-wan, the last time we met yestarday I was but the learner now today I am the master"

Darth Vader is meant to be a broken shell of a man, He could have been the most powerful force user off all time but now is just a half machine cripple strapped to a giant lung who cannot breath with out a mask. He hates himself for what he is and done but trapped by his own lust for power and is despised and feared in equal measure by all the other Imperials with a hint of goodness buried beneath it all.

Vader has always been more complex than simply just a guy dressed in black I hope they get him right

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.