main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The role of Force ghosts in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Barth, Nov 22, 2012.

1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Yes to Qui-Gon and yes Mortis, if only as a dialogue reference. Qui-Gon was essentially what the Jedi should have been and he saw the corruption of the Jedi Council. He was quite wise, compassionate, trusting, and unorthodox; he didn't blindly accept what the Council said, who eventually lead itself to its own downfall. There's too much potential with Qui-Gon as a Force ghost and he could be a very good mentor to Luke, even better than his two previous masters. Furthermore, it'll give the writers a good reason to bring back Liam Neeson in a Star Wars film. Perhaps name-drop Mortis as a nod to the TCW fans. Plus, he could give an explanation as to who the Whills are. Like I said, too much potential with Qui-Gon as a Force ghost.

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Anakin as a force voice. He helps guide Luke to stave off evil and help his father gain redemption and become a force ghost.

Yeah, I know it changes the end of ROTJ, but Ep 7 and continuing the saga will do that anyway.

So make it a journey for Luke to help redeem his father against those from within the republic who want to cleanse it of all ties to the old corrupt republic and the evil empire and those from without who want to return the ancient sith empire and all those who stand in their way.

3. Storybound

Storybound Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 1, 2013
    Aren't we all forgetting that Luke, Han, and Leia aren't the main characters anymore? Why shouldn't the force ghosts be involved with the new generation instead of the old one? :D

4. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Just how do we know they aren't the main characters? That's an assumption at this time.

Storybound likes this.
  5. Storybound

Jun 1, 2013
  6. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Why would Qui-Gon mentor Luke in VII? It's been 30+ years. All the mentoring by Jedi spirits should really be done by then... and if Qui-Gon even tried speaking with Luke, and Luke heard him, any advice on a better Jedi path would've been asked & answered in between the OT & ST. 30+ years later, Luke probably only calls on any of his ghostly trio (with Qui-Gon's voice sometimes sitting in) to bend their ear about something, ask a bit of advice on some new situation, whatever... and he'd probably most stick to the three Jedi who meant something to him, his two masters and his father, not ol' Disembodied Jinn.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Qui-Gon has really no place at all in the ST.

But I could easily see him in an Obi-Wan Spinoff movie! There he would fit in 100% and they should start making the Obi-Wan movie anyway.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    We don't even know what the ST will be about, let alone claim that an "immortal" character has no place in it.

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    It's fairly obvious from even the current position that Qui-Gon doesn't have much to do in ST nor should he have much to do.
    It's like saying we don't know if Nute Gunray should appear.

Danj and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  10. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    You don't know that. Perhaps there wasn't a situation before VII that required his advice. Or if there was, Qui-Gon may not have told Luke everything he knows. The way I see it, Qui-Gon's sort of a disciple of the Whills and he could easily relay the knowledge that's passed on to him by the Whills to Luke. Besides, it doesn't matter if Luke is old; people still learn new things even when they are old. That's how it works.

11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Anakin as only a voice would be an interesting idea, but I think I would prefer an actual ghost.

I would feel that if we've seen ghosts already in previous episodes, but then we revert back to just a voice, it seems like instead of progress on this story line we'd be actually Moving backwards. I would See that as disappointing, really..

12. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Or that Ben should appear in RotJ. There's plenty of room of the Force Ghosts and it's a beautiful grace note, the spirit of the past helping the present generation.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

All we do know for this is that Hamill said that they were told that if they didn't take the roles, their characters would not be recast... which has led most to assume that that means they would be written out of the script in that case, which would in turn mean that they have secondary roles. Pretty sound reasoning, but it is still all we've got. :p

14. Storybound

Jun 1, 2013
    Forgot about that. :p

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    How about redeemed Plagueis as a force ghost?

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    You don't even know what the ST is about, therefore you can't claim that he doesn't have much to do with it, or that he shouldn't.

Totally comparable. Nute is even a Force Ghost full of wisdom to pass onto others... :rolleyes:

17. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    You don't even know what the ST is about, therefore you can't claim that he does have much to do with it, or that he should.

I can just pretty much shoot that right back at you.

Darth_Pevra and darklordoftech like this.
  18. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Let's face it: we don't know what any of this is about. Mass confusion!

The Hellhammer likes this.
  19. Barth

Barth Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Interesting idea. We know that there will be the Obi-Wan vs cyborg Darth Maul spinoff movie, so it would totally make sense that Qui-gon could pass some knowledge to ObiWan in that movie. Liam Neeson may actually now reprise the role, considering he provided a voice for the Clone Wars. Liam was a little put off by the overuse of CGI, if I remember correctly, and may especially have a change of heart if there is a different director/style to the new movie.

If Qui-gon's ghost comes back in the spinoff, then maybe he could also have a small role later in the ST, depending on how they use force ghosts.

20. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Do we know about an Obi-Wan/Maul spinoff? I thought that was just a rumor being reported. I hope it's just a rumor, that sounds awful

Darth Chiznuk and Toonimator like this.
  21. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    We do? Since when?

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Checking Starwars.com... Nope, no Maul spin-off. [face_relieved]

23. Barth

Barth Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Sorry, I didn't mean to say it was confirmed, but it is definitely rumored, and Ewan is interested. http://whatculture.com/film/star-wars-obi-wan-vs-darth-maul-spin-off-movie-planned.php

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You could check the official site the day after Episode VII is released to the cinema and draw the conclusion that they haven't begun principle photography, yet...

25. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    What is it with official sites that make them always suck so much...