main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Michael Kaplan joins Episode 7 production

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by The Hellhammer, May 19, 2013.

1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Judging by the info released up to this point, all the cast will be stark naked.
    Which has it's ups and downs, I guess.

2. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    Mostly ups if we get anything like leia's bikini outfit in ROTJ in this new film...

3. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Ouch! Your satire is too much for me!! Where's that dang Kool Aid?!?! Ah, there it is! Guzzle guzzle guzzle guzzle guzzle . . . . (glaze-eyed & somniferous) I. Will. Love. What-ever. JJ. Does. I. Will. Love. What-ever. JJ. Does. I. Will. Love. What-ever. JJ. Does. I. Will. Love. What-ever. JJ. Does. . . .

LawJedi likes this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    No, you were right the first time. Be disappointed in advance.

5. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
  6. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

Curse you Kaplan! Curse you Abrams! Pre-order cancelled!

KevinM1 and The Hellhammer like this.
  7. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Another good decision by Lucasfilm.

8. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004

Yeah, as long as it's not on Carrie Fisher.

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    How can you be disappointed when you haven't seen any of it? You only know their work from other franchises where they have used a suiting style for the source material. Isn't that a good thing?
    I don't want bland visuals either, of course not, and maybe that's what we'll get. However, we don't that - hell, for the moment we have no idea what direction they'll take the films in, visually, story-wise, anything - so we can't even really make any educated guesses.

Now you're being ridiculous. No one is saying you have to love everything about the movies or everything JJ does. We're just saying you should keep an open mind since we've yet to see anything from these upcoming movies.

Darth Claire and The Hellhammer like this.
  10. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Disappointed by the choice, on the surface, is that clear now? Good.

PS: Historically I've been supporting this movie since the announcement ;) I still am. I just think - on the surface - that this is a majorly boring choice.

11. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Yes, you should. When you bring Abrams on board you don't just get J.J., you get Bad Robot. I highly doubt Abrams was brought on board to simply shepherd one film, more than likely the crew has been brought over to supervise further Star Wars films (whether Abrams directs them or not) and to oversee the transition of Star Wars to a live action TV series.

This decision isn't surprising in the least.

Yancy

12. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Uh, I think "shepherding" is KK's & Lucasfilm's job. They don't need any outside help. With Disney horning in they sure don't need a third party also trying to do their job for them. BR is JJA's office, basically, there's absolutely no indication that his employees are going to be hanging around after he's finished the journeyman director's job of lensing E7, trying to "shepherd" anything. And BR already has a crapload of crappy projects in the works, they're too busy.

13. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    Clearly your distaste for J.J. Abrams clouds your reasoning. You don't bring in Abrams and company for a one off... you just don't. Kathleen Kennedy is the head of a studio now (and is in the running to take over at Disney), she's going to bring in the talent she feels can best bring Star Wars to the big screen, she's not going to directly oversee that... that's never been her job. I sorry, but J.J's hands are going to be all over this project from the script to production design... everywhere. And that will certainly influence the rest of the films in this trilogy.

Yancy

The Hellhammer likes this.
  14. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Well, at least we'll finally see Leia in the nude. I mean, that's what people have wanted ever since they saw her in her slave bikini, amirite?

15. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Uh, nope! JJ's been hired to direct, that is all. He's not some visionary genius brought in to guide Lucasfilm, lol. They already have a visionary genius, his name's George Lucas, as KK says, he's still their "Yoda". JJ's just an A-List big shot director hired to assure E7's success at the B.O. When E7 comes out, JJA will be on to his next production. Unless there's an actual announcement that LFL is officially partnering with BR for the foreseeable future to shape the new extended franchise, it's nothing but wishful thinking on your part.

I have nothing for or against JJA. He's a competent mainstream Hollywood director. He elicits a hearty shrug from me. His personal projects fail to engage my imagination, I don't see him as a very good or engaging storyteller. As a director: he gets the job done, it all looks very slick, like an expensive advertisement. But there's no reason to believe that he's anything more than a hired hand. Pending an announcement stating the opposite.

16. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    I never said he was brought in to guide Lucasfilm, but he has certainly been brought in to guide the Star Wars film franchise whether he directs Episodes VIII & IX or not. Again he's supervising the script process with Michael Arndt, his production people are everywhere and will be supervising every department... for all intents and purposes this is his film with George Lucas on board with the story and as a consultant. But JJ's fingerprints are going to be all over the sequel trilogy.

Yancy

17. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Or just E7 the single film he was hired to direct. E8 will have as much JJA influence as RotJ had IK influence.

18. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    You do realize both Kathleen Kennedy and Disney have made it quite clear they want Abrams to direct Episodes VIII and IX. Kennedy publicly stated this at CinemaCon.

Yancy

19. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Y'know, I don't think they just hired someone to "do a gig" and then get lost. It's a bit more than someone doing a "trash for cash" soft drink commercial.
    They hired Abrams for a reason and that reason is not "keep your mouth shut, direct the movie and get the **** out of here." If they wanted someone to just blindly follow orders and to the job he was hired to do under strict supervision by KK or GL, they could've easily found some above average film school student to string around.

Gallandro is right, Abrams will be quite involved in setting the direction for the future movies and maybe even the franchise as a whole. He may not completely "take over" but it is definetly gonna be more than just a "hired gig."

20. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    I didn't say they'd tell him to keep his mouth shut. But I don't think he's going to "shape" the series. It's already been shaped, there's nothing wrong with it, what weaknesses were in the PT can be fixed with more polished scripts & direction, it doesn't require any kind of re-thinking from ground up. Plus he's got about 1,000 side projects going, he didn't enlist in the army he accepted the position as director of E7. As for him "shaping" the series, I'd hate to see that 'cause he has real weaknesses when it comes to telling a satisfying story. He's like M. Night, he has a bag of tricks and it's getting old. I really don't want to see him "shaping" all SW to come. We'll see what happens but it's a Lucasfilm/Disney project not a Bad Robot project.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Episode 7 is Lucasfilm/Disney with Bad Robot co-producing. Says so in the press release. Saying Abrams will just take the script, nod, and shoot it without working with his previous production collaborators or helping to shape the story is probably not how it's gonna turn out.

Gallandro likes this.
  22. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Who said that? Firming up a movie you are going to direct is different from "shaping" an entire series of films. And the greater the influence on the story he has, judging by his past efforts, the weaker the story will be, imo. So here's hoping he keeps his mitts off of it as much as can be hoped for.

23. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hey guys, lets take the JJ Abrams discussion on his ablility to direct and how much Bad Robot will be a part to the JJA Directing thread, this thread is for discussion on Michael Kaplan. Yes, he's worked with JJ before and so in turn, JJ may be part of the topic, but this has turned into talk about JJA.

24. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I honestly want to own one of the new Star Trek jerseys. They just look damn comfy, although IDK about the pattern being a torrent of tiny Starfleet insignias :p

mavjade likes this.