main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Good to know!

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I hope Death Watch is defeated by the Jedi so that the ESB novelization's description of Boba's armor will be true.

pronker likes this.
  3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I imagine Mandalore as of "Lawless" is one of those storylines that will be picked back up in "Rebels" infact it now makes sense why certain arcs like the Bounty Hunter one may not be released unfortunately. That material could easily get re-purposed for the new show depending on how close the styles are or cut into flashback material.

4. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I think in the RotS novel, Obi-Wan tells Beru that Anakin and the mother (just the mother, not Padme specifically) were killed in the war

5. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Urgh that would suck if the Bounty Hunter arc wasn't released on those grounds... I would really like to see that one.

6. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Agreed. That story was meant for TCW, not Rebels. I want the two series to connect, but Rebels needs original stories, not leftovers from TCW.

QuangoFett, Ani501st and pronker like this.
  7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I doubt Rebels will want to reuse the story, its about keeping options open with the bigger TCW characters like Cad Bane who were supposedly to be resolved in TCW's next Bounty Hunters arc and not to mention moving more of Boba's story into Rebels. Both are highly likely to appear in Rebels. Not to be a downer but at its heart Rebels will probably be even more of a kids show than TCW was and will function to shove merchandise into kids' face more than ever now under Disney control.

8. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Exactly! Thank you... you are the only one I know who has said too. It is on Disney XD, I do not see the Dark Times being very dark on Disney XD.

I am still puzzled why people think that Rebels will beat TCW in mature tone - I just am puzzled to the max on that.

Seerow likes this.
  9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011

Now darkness and a serious tone don't really mean a show is more mature. I don't think its true that Rebels won't be dark actually. Will it be as dark as TCW? Probably not. Looking at different action cartoons TCW is without a doubt the most violent. Thundercats approaches it closet which isn't surprising. Tron Uprising from the little bit I've seen is just edgy. Perhaps it would be closer to Transformers: Prime which has some really dark moments such as June Darby's kidnapping for example and a child involved in a revenge plot and succeeding but usually takes the safe route in the end and doesn't give me the same feeling of suspense and danger as the "Padawan Lost" and "Wookie Hunt" episodes of TCW. Makes sense if Rebels is more merchandise driven. Gargoyles is still my main benchmark for what Disney XD will let fly based on what they cut and yet. I think any show I mention would probably get some stuff chopped out.

10. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    It is times like this that I wonder how much simplier life would be now if Lucas hadn't decided to sell Lucasfilm. Without a doubt we'd be getting Season 6 (and likely a S7/S8!), everything that has been cancelled/postponed would be getting released... The only thing we wouldn't be getting would be new films... I get the impression that once TCW had wrapped up its story they would have moved onto the Dark Times anyway.

11. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Tron and Prime are good examples of how you could do darkness without it be dark and vile... With the explanations that it is programs and robots that destroy each other, but not real living beings - that soften the blows on censors's ears. I mean there have been many beheadings and killings in Prime, but since they spark and show fuses (not blood and guts) it is more ok to release.

That is why TCW and the PT took place in the galaxy that had a war between helmeted clones and soulless droids. The droids being sliced up did not cause alarm for gore or darkness. It did its job, but it did not cause alarm for violence, it is like saying the hitting the vending machine is violence.

Disney XD would rather let a show like TCW fly than a show like Gargoyles. Gargoyles was made when TV was better and Disney tried more in terms of their content.

We will see what comes of this.

It would have been the regular and calm status quo. We would have gotten all those seasons, Filoni has been told that there were hopes of an 8th season.

As I have said before, I do not mind THE CLONE WARS to end, but let it end naturally with all stories resolved... with all possible takes done and the show feeling complete and ready to move on.

12. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011

I meant the safe way out in terms of things usually turning out alright.

Its kinda interesting to think we saw a hole shot through Dreadwing's torso and we've seen Clones Troopers get holes shot through their torsos. No blood. Gives ya some idea of how TCW and Cartoon Network folks were able to pass off the violence. It doesn't count as much with robots even when presented to be feeling, intellegent and emotional beings. I've talked to parents who think the clones are robots. Sure, the MECH guys take casualties when they appear most notably violent deaths the guy who thought it would be smart to try to cut Optimus's trailer free and ended up impaled on a tree by Fowler (implied) and the guy who flew into the MECH robot's camera. That is not much compared to the Ahsoka quad decapitating Deathwatch Soldiers, clones getting cut in half, or smashed by Grievous.

Far as what can fly on Disney XD. Its hard to say. Gargoyles actually reran on Disney XD until recently and remains among the most violent from the 90s. Its about beaten by Transformers Prime and Thundercats but TCW is definitely more violent. Gargoyles has considerable violence against robots like Coyote wearing Xanatos's face getting mauled by Bronx but the Xanatos's doom never did take casualties however the Vikings and various midevils did and also of not the security guards for the prison Coyote broke "The Pack" out of.

One does have to wonder if "Rebels" was in the drawing board before the cancellation.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I strongly suspect that Rebels was indeed being planned before TCW was cancelled.

14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011

I get the impression that Rebel's was an idea at the very least getting tossed around. And how many times have we've heard people saying they had all these scripts for the live action show and it should just be turned into the animated show. I'm certain the reason for TCW's cancellation is its now a Disney product, its associated with Cartoon Network. So they canned it and rapidly greenlighted a show that can wear "Disney's Star Wars: Rebels" as its title..

eht13 likes this.
  15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Disney could surprise us and prove us wrong but doubt it, wishful thinking

16. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

I think it was probably an idea they were working on prior to the cancellation, personally.

It makes me wonder if Disney would have allowed the continuation of TCW if CN had paid for its production costs?

Much as I haven't liked the route Disney have gone with Clone Wars, one thing has to be said for them: they haven't cancelled it completely outright. They haven't stopped production completely. They are at least allowing them to finish off some of the work, which is a blessing for us because not a lot of shows even get to air their remaining episodes before they are canned for good. At least with TCW we still have more material coming... I just hope the material we get is spectacular and worth the cancellation.

And I'm still holding out hope for at least 5 arcs...

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    As awesome as TCW's CGI is from my research pretty much any action animated show costs over 1 million an episode even 2D ones like Korra which is also the only one left. I'm not sure why the action shows are getting culled off. Maybe its cost, maybe its the audiences trending away from them and low ratings. Tron, Transformers Prime, and Green Lanter are all in this ballpark. I'd love to find the production costs for Young Justice. It doesn't seem like the action cartoon is dead in the water if Rebels is in development and also the next animated incarnation of Transformers is also being predicted for 2014. I think with TCW is all comes down to brand name and getting something fresh for Disney.

I am grateful we'll be getting some bonus material, count on it. I'm not real happy with how my letter from Kennedy basically said, "But just you wait! We got this cool new thing for you to watch right here."

18. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    Ah, so it probably wasn't cost then.

I am grateful we'll be getting some bonus material, count on it. I'm not real happy with how my letter from Kennedy basically said, "But just you wait! We got this cool new thing for you to watch right here."[/quote]

Yeah that phrasing does seem a bit off... as if they don't care about the fans, thinking that we'll move right onto the next thing and forget what we like in favour of new stuff. The new show had better be worth it.

QuangoFett likes this.
  19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Most likely not, Cartoon Network's mass killing has to do with the network trying to change direction toward an older market. TCW might have ended up on the same block after all with the rumors last summer.

The assumption that fans will consume anything with the SW name on it is what it sounds like in the letter.

20. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

Hmm maybe but TCW did very well in the morning slot which I think surprised a lot of people, so perhaps CN would have continued with the show if Lucasfilm had extended the contract to right to air again. Dang, I really miss this show :(

There are some SW fans out there like that... but I'm not one of them. I'm very selective in what I like about SW in general. They really shouldn't assume...

AkashKedavra_93 and QuangoFett like this.
  21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011

I miss it as well. Since Cartoon Network cancelled everything but Dragon Riders I'm not confident as to how long TCW would have continued airing. It seemed like CN was surprised by the high ratings. We'll never know now. It was in better hands either ways with CN's standards and practices going easy. I need to check out the new Avengers toons to see how they stack up.

I'm still a fan just really getting into a franchise and thus not easily convinced to part with my commodities.

22. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Like someone else wrote somewhere else regarding the matter of the TCW cancellation: It's as if someone shot your spouse and then said 'hey, but I'll hook you up with this other guy I know.'

That's a bit how I feel about the whole mess.
    For me, it's difficult to hear 'Disney' or 'Rebels' and not have negative feelings about the corp and the series ... despite not knowing anything about the latter. The title and blurbs don't count. Heck, when I read the blurb on one of my own books I thought: 'Hey, *that's* what I wrote???', so blurbs don't count. No, they don't.

I'm just sorry for my kid.
    He was sad when I told him that I wasn't going to buy him any Disney films anymore - until Disney have proven that they are not just a figurehead for Maleficent ^^.

If they don't wrap up some loose ends of TCW in that new series of theirs, I'd at least like to have some wrap-ups in comic book form. Preferrably drawn by XJapanRoX.

23. XJapanRoX

XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist star 2 VIP

Dec 5, 2004
    I would be SO down for that opportunity, YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW! It kills me to see so many unresolved stories...I'd absolutely love to contribute to healing some of our wounds. hahaha Regardless, makes me feel good to be considered worthy of such a task, Sgt Crowfield! Thank you!

24. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Oh, very much so. I love your style. In my eyes, it's perfect for the task at hand. But unless I win a lottery or somebody at Disney dies from old age and makes me their heir, I won't be able to commission you ...

Seerow and XJapanRoX like this.
  25. XJapanRoX

XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist star 2 VIP

Dec 5, 2004
    You're MUCH too kind, my friend. While I've got my hands full with my next two motion comics until the end of next year, I could see myself taking on a fan-based project like filling in TCW gaps. I'm no writer by any stretch of the imagination, but I imagine that by that time (late 2014), whatever cannon material for Season 6 content will have been released. Perhaps a talented writer(s) would be willing to team up with me and and bang out the remaining unfinished stories' conclusions, and I'd illustrate it. While yes, the paid stuff keeps me afloat, I still need personal work to keep me sane! And after the motion comics are done, there'll be a big gap there (I'll need a break from motion comics by then)! haha This could be a fun way to fill it!

Barriss_Coffee and Sgt Crowfield like this.