main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Light Saber Duels - OT or PT style?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth EL Pollo Loco, Jan 28, 2013.

1. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    Personally I love the flashy styles. Maybe tone it down just a bit from TPM. I feel that AOTC had it about right. Interesting question.

2. Darth EL Pollo Loco

Darth EL Pollo Loco Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    I'd love to see some Yoda flinging his saber action.....

3. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    How about a new style? Something that sets it apart from both the PT and the OT. Luke didn't have any other Jedi to really show him how to use a saber, so maybe he develops his own original style over the years.

4. Darth EL Pollo Loco

Jan 27, 2013
    I for one would love to see more Force powers being used... Would love to see Luke force crush someone

5. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Each trilogy had its own feel for lightsaber combat.

OT the Jedi were wiped out and weak, scattered, so naturally, a slow, straight-to-the-point style was fitting.

PT the Jedi were in full blossom, so the flashy, fast-paced and acrobatic style suited it.

Clearly, the ST needs kind of a middle, as the Jedi would have started to recover, but not as much as before.

6. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Honestly I would love to see a female Jedi to use a much more fluid style. If Luke fights like a samurai, then the female Jedi should fight as a ninja, like water flowing passed a stone

7. Darth EL Pollo Loco

Jan 27, 2013
    I dont know if she might be too old but i'd love to see ventress in ep vii

8. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    For a female style something along this lines...

9. Darth EL Pollo Loco

Jan 27, 2013
    i think we should have our lady jedis wear aprons and fling home made pies at the enemy

CT-867-5309 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  10. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Better watch out Team Padme is gonna get you

11. Darth EL Pollo Loco

Jan 27, 2013
    Their force power shall be Force Nag

Pfluegermeister and CT-867-5309 like this.
  12. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Both have their merits...

I've read that a lot of people don't think that the Obi-Wan vs Darth Vader Duel in A New Hope wasn't all that great...but thinking about that duel now, I feel as though it looked to me like Obi-Wan and Darth Vader were more or less testing each other with Darth going for the poking and prodding slowly, perhaps toying with Ben, whilst Ben was on the defensive...and the slower version felt more free-flowing as it showed that if you get hit by that saber, you're in trouble...

But the PT lightsaber duels showcased a style in-which, perhaps The Force had a little more to do with in the sense that maybe the reason the Jedi could go so fast was do to their Force powers...

I guess it would be nice if every Jedi had their own style, as was the case with Dooku and Yoda for instance...

13. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
  14. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    The whole thing about the saber duels being weaker in the OT because of Obi Wan's advanced age, Vader in his suit, and Luke being new to dueling is just George retconning again. The OT duels would have been like the PT duels had Lucas been able to do it at the time, just how we would have had a lot more other PT-style effects in the OT had he been able to do it at the time.

15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I'm thinking this. Like the one in the '09 Star Trek film.

16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Have a mixture

17. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    I don't care what style they use as long as the fights are awesome. There were bad fights in both trilogies, most notably the Vader/Obi-Wan fight in ANH, and the Sidious/Windu fight in ROTS. I thought the Luke/Vader duels were excellent, and the Darth Maul/Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon fight was excellent.

18. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    To quote myself from an earlier thread:

19. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Something in between. Not slow, boring and sometimes clumsy like the OT, nor over the top, ridiculous, I know cool useless spins like the PT.

20. Storybound

Storybound Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 1, 2013
    I liked the PT duels. But a new style, definitely would bring a different feel to the ST. As others have already said, a mixture of both.

21. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    a bit of both,

I don't want it to be flashy all the time,

let each fighter be unique

as a sword enthusiast it is impossibe in a real life situation to test different swords with each other, as many are heavier, or have a different function.

think an epee vs a Katana.

In Star Wars such a thing isn't a problem, so lets see how a slow fighter deals with a quick fighter.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    I'm going to join those who said that they want a mix. PT fights were flashy and all but tooo plastic. Waaaay tooo coreographied. When Obi-Wan was super pissed and used the dark side to defeat maul. He showed as much emotions as my chair. Even the flashy stuff can be dull if it is an emotionless pile of artifical garbage.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    So... Ewan McGregor's terrible acting somehow ties in with the lightsaber choreography... [face_hypnotized]

24. Master-of_les-Pauls

Master-of_les-Pauls Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2013

The duels in the trailers for TOR is just what I want the fights to be like in the ST

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I enjoy the PT duels for the most part, overchoreographed as they are. For the most part they're fun to watch and I like them for what they are.
    However.
    Some things are just plain silly.
    For example:

[​IMG]