main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Oh, Quick Ben threatening Shadowthrone has nothing on some of the stunts Ganoes Paran pulls later in the series. And Shadowthrone and Cotillion end up being rather enjoyable to read, particularly Cotillion.

That Sword of Truth sounds egregiously painful.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Chevy Chase barely had any interest in being on that show to begin with. I say good riddance--if anyone can make it work without him, it's Harmon.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I haven't seen like any of season 4 except the first ep, but Chase had gotten completely wearisome by season 2. Long outworn his welcome.

4. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    @AdmiralNick22 be sure to pay attention to what Ten says about regeneration in his final episodes. It totally jives with his personality and lends all sorts of pathos to the process. [face_whistling]

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Hmm... surprised no one's mentioned Game of Thrones yet...

6. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009

I loved Roose Bolton taunting Cat. But I was also rather annoyed at some of the stuff that got cut, i.e. all of the nice loyal Northern Lords. The show really ended up undercutting Robb

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Properly still in shock, though the forums GOT thread is very active. ;)

8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I haven't seen it yet (gonna watch it all when the season is done)... I presume a certain happy wedding just aired? :)

9. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009

Indeed!

brb changing my icon to the Flayed Man of House Bolton

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Just gonna say that none of this would've happened if Aerys II were still in charge...

11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    There would be no Starks if Aerys II was in charge :p

RC-1991 likes this.
  12. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Reading the Facebook page for GoT was utterly hilarious.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Exactly -- so none of this would've happened :p

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Your ass is banned.

GrandAdmiralJello and RC-1991 like this.
  15. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    And Venture Brothers had a whole thing with the Ewok village, complete with the Ewok song.

Oh, and to complete the circle, a great bit where we learn the Monarch is a big Game of Thrones fan, and Dr. Girlfriend isn't....

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I used to watch AS shows all the time, but I haven't in a few years. I really should try to get back into some of them. Venture Brothers was always great, as were Metalocalypse and ATHF. And of course, Robot Chicken.

17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Venture Brothers just broadcast their first new episode (apart from a special and short) in three years.

18. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009

[​IMG]

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Shows how out of touch I am. Around when I stopped watching, ATHF had just changed it's name, but judging from wikipedia it seems the name keeps changing to be more and more ridiculous. :p

Still, I'm probably not that far behind then for Venture Bros.

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    [​IMG]

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    This is hilarious

You know, call me pretentious... but it honestly kind of annoys me how many people are so shocked, enraged/whatever at this, not because the events themselves weren't shocking... but because they happened nearly a decade ago. I know that visual media will always be more popular than the written word, but I can't help but feel that all the people who refuse to read the books and only watch the show are asking for everything to be delivered on a silver platter.

22. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    So, I went out and bought the last four books of Malazan just now. Should keep me occupied when I go work at Scout Camp starting this weekend.

[spoilers=The Bonehunters]What the hell, Laseen? Just as I was beginning to like you, you go and ruin it. And you seriously took Korbolo Dom and Mallick Rel seriously? SERIOUSLY?[/spoiler]

instantdeath what's great are the showwatchers who seem to be unaware that the books even exist. I assume that Poe's Law applies to some of them, but still.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    That's not really fair though. I read ASOS over a decade ago too, but it was pretty niche at the time -- well known among fantasy types, sure, but among the general public? No way.

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Oh, I'm not expecting everyone with even a passing interest in the genre to read every single quality work, no matter how obscure it is. It's just that now that it's become nothing short of a phenomenon, I can't help but be (somewhat unfairly, I will acknowledge) annoyed at everyone treating these twists with extreme apathy, like the world has just come crashing down when it actually did that years ago.

Yes, I will admit it's kind of that innate "no one else is allowed to like my favorite formerly underground indie band" gut reaction. I'm allowed to be grumpy occasionally :p

25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Maybe some of us prefer to experience one medium at a time, and might consider reading the books once the show is over. And once the books are over, too, for that matter. :p

In any event, rather than touch the RED &@#%ING WEDDING OMG with a ten-foot pole, I'm just going to make one amusing, somewhat-related observation--watching Venture Bros' GoT scene, it struck me that the entirety of GoT thus far has come out in the span of time since Operation: PROM aired. This was the first GoT reference (as far as I know) VB has done because the last time it aired, the show didn't even exist yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.