main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    mrjop - That is really sad and unfortunate. :(

I think the answer regarding M. Night is no, he probably won't take a hiatus. In my experience, some people just keep trucking on, even after they've crashed in burn. Not everyone learns from their experiences. :p

Nat - I don't find Hannibal gory, per se, but I do find it disturbing. Let's just say that with knowledge about the title character mixed with the amount of screen time devoted to culinary arts regarding the proper preparation of meat, I am really, really glad I'm vegetarian.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It was three storm chasers, including a father and son; also the Weather Channel storm chasers got banged up pretty good when their cars flipped over during the tornadoes Friday night.

With regards to other stuff, it seems the last three weeks of Doctor Who events have woken up my muse from over a year's slumber. I've got several one - shots in my head based on the finale alone, and a fully formed epic on my hands based on the finale and other Who news.

Nightvision91 likes this.
  3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That's such sad news :(

Yay, Juliet! I'm glad you're back :D

I certainly don't think I'll be seeing any more of his movies.

Idri--Gross. I like the more lighthearted stuff.

4. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Get it in when you can. Matt Smith is leaving Dr. Who. Matt Smith is hanging up the bow tie, and the new Doctor is scheduled to be revealed in this years Christmas special. I'm gonna miss Matt, but they have a proven track record of finding excellent actors, so I have no doubt I'm going to love the next doctor just as much.

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Hey, just because he's leaving doesn't mean the fic needs to stop. I've got a ton of Nine and Ten fics that I need/would love to get back to provided the muse lets me.

NYCitygurl - Yep, the muse has dragged me back to the Fanfiction side of the Force/Time Vortex, though I'll probably still be more active in the Community side of things for the time being.

Random Comments likes this.
  6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I approve of both of these things :D

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Yay!

Can't wait to see more Doctor Who fan fic in NSWFF. :) Now I just need to hurry up and finish what I'm working on so I can rejoin the writing board. :p [face_laugh]

8. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Yes Idri please do so. I miss your writing.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    NYCitygurl Idrelle_Miocovani Nightvision91 I've got the prologue done on this one, and since this is being laid out as not as dark as some of my other Who WIPs, it might just show up here soon enough. It deals with some themes from the finale, deals indirectly with the 50th anniversary special and Annoucement from this past weekend (mostly because anything I write directly about those events now will be jossed come November and December), some lingering plotholes from Matt's era, and the story's plot itself around a day that I was surprised Moffat didn't do an episode on (Maybe he didn't want to jinx us all by doing something with that particular date)

I even have a title: The Impossible Meeting (at the End of the World)O:)

NYCitygurl and Nightvision91 like this.
  10. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Aww, you're such a sweetheart. [:D] I'm working on something from the Hunger Games. Should start going up in a few days. :)

Juliet, that's awesome. I like the title. I suck at titles. Sometimes they come to me, and sometimes I end up staring around my studio going, "Why can't titles just fall out of the air and land in my brain?"

Random Comments and NYCitygurl like this.
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

I swear, next to the summary (which thankfully, I seem to have as well), titles are probably the hardest things to come up with. My policy is unless it's a really short drabble/ficlet(and even then I try to come up with titles for those), I never start a story unless I have a title and summary (even if it's just a line from the fic like I do for some of my short one - shots) for it. Case in point: I'm still trying to find both an overall title and individual titles to a series of fics (A trilogy at this point, but one never knows) I've got planned out where the ending of Parting of the Ways went pear - shaped and an never-regenerated Nine and Immortal!Jack come across an Alt-Rose Tyler in Pete's World.

The Impossible Meeting was probably one of the easier titles I've come up with. Given how the story's shaping up and how they seem to be sticking with The Impossible Girl as Clara's Companion status, The Impossible Meeting (at The End of the World) seemed appropriate.

12. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I usually don't have a problem with summaries, except when it's for a 50 sentences fic or a drabble series or something less... tangible full-out stories. Usually for those I cheat and pick a line I think best summarizes the feeling I was going for with the sentences/drabbles, and throw some quotation marks around it. :p

I struggle with overall titles for series. I find individual ones to be a lot easier, for some reason.

So, my parents and I were discussing Doctor Who at dinner the other night, and I was trying to explain some of the issues I have with the writing and structure of the show overall and my dad just looks at me and goes,

"This is Doctor Who, right?"

"Yes."

"Is Doctor Who supposed to be logical?"

"... no."

"What's the number one rule about Doctor Who? Don't apply logic. Maybe it needs a label. Or a viewer discretion is advised sign."

Random Comments and Juliet316 like this.
  13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I have so much trouble with titles. They're usually the last thing I come up with 8-}

I gave Doctor Who and honest-to-goodness shot. I watched the series with Nine and Rose, the series with Ten and Rose, and part of the series with Ten and Martha. Changing doctors and companions, and I was still pretty meh. I might try again at one point because everyone here and in real life seems to love it, but I just can't get into it. I need logic and order 8-}

14. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    [​IMG]

See? Even Matt Smith says it. :p

And now to completely change topics --

THE SOUNDTRACK FOR SEASON 3 OF GAME OF THRONES IS AMAZING AND EVERYONE SHOULD LISTEN TO IT, LIKE GAAAAAAAAARGH!!!! [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Go here and listen. Now.

EDIT --

Sometimes, when I find the right title, it sets off a spiral of inspiration because my muse is really excited to write about something that has that title. This is especially true when I come up with something mindboggling out of the ordinary.

Random Comments and Juliet316 like this.
  15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I really need to get around to reading/watching GoT.

16. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Yes.

Yes, you do.

I've told you before, and I'll keep telling you.

... if you start reading next week, I promise never to use solar power on you. [face_batting]

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh. Oh, that's very temping. Because I really, really hate solar power ... :p

However, I should probably finish my Wheel of Time re-read (haven't read the last book!) first, and as I'm still on #9, GoT will have to wait.

18. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I know you do. If I did something silly like put it in my signature, I'm sure you'd ban me. Or something. :cool:

I did start Wheel of Time last year, actually! Since I own the first book and tried multiple times to read it. I got through it this time, but didn't have the drive to go and get the next book in the series. With all due respect to Robert Jordan, I don't like his writing style. But I do keep telling myself, "One day, I will finish the series. Because it's an epic fantasy series."

So, you never know. ;)

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, if it's a short story or drabble, I'll take the cheat and use a sentence that most describes the story. I figure it's a forgiveable offense.

I hear you about overall titles for series. I think I've got tenative titles for that trilogy I referenced earlier, but the overall title isn't coming. It's frustrating, so I try to pour my energies into other stories and check back to see if a title will fall from the sky later.

As for titles providing inspiration in and of themselves: Yep, have had that happen. It's happened with The Impossible Meeting, even.

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I will go get Jello and MAKE that a bannable offense :p And solar power in colors, and in posts ... :p

I loved Robert Jordan the first time I read through the books. This time, not so much, and it's a bit disconcerting :( For a series I used to love, it's taken me seven months to get through nine books.

21. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    It took me awhile to get into Doctor Who. It was at DragonCon and a little influence from Mira_Jade, that I finally starting watching it. And I started with Eleven, then went back. I love it. And then on Christmas I made me entire family watch the Christmas special. And then I got my boyfriend into it.

And GoT. I haven't read the books. It's next on my list to read. But I am so mad I missed Season 3 because I don't have HBO.

Since I got my Kindle, I've been a series fiend. I read Mageworlds (which I highly recommend!) and Percy Jackson (again its may be YA, but man that series is GOOD!) I'm on a trilogy called The Rho Agenda and so far the first book has me intrigued. I am not reading Crucible because I haven't heard anything good. So I'm always looking for new things to read. I have a feeling GoT is gonna take up a lot of my time

22. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    [face_waiting]

You know that will officially alienate me from any threads in Games forever. The only reason I play Games is the potential to win colours, so I can then wear Solar Power.

Also, I suppose this is as good a time as any to mention that there is a tribute to solar power in my profile. :p Just to horrify you! (and I'm not making a good case to keep solar power unbannable :p )

That's a shame about Wheel of Time. :( It always makes me sad when that happens to me. I used to be a huge fan of the Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay, but when I re-read it, I didn't like it as much. I also don't enjoy His Dark Materials as much anymore.

Master_Jaina1011, The Eleventh Hour is probably one of the best episodes to use as an introduction to Doctor Who. New Doctor, new companion, and you get the idea immediately. Plus, it's a pretty smashing episode and a really enjoyable watch.

Percy Jackson is amazing! Such a fun series. Nice and light and fluffy and hilarious to boot And since I grew up on Greek mythology (my sister and I handwrote our own collection of Greek myths when I was 10, we have them stuffed in a scrapbook somewhere, complete with an extended family tree of the gods and heroes) I really, really enjoyed it. I have the first book of the sequel series but I haven't read the others yet. I'm waiting for the paperbacks. I also want to read the related series he started about the children of Egyptian gods.

Did not like the film version of the Lightning Thief. [face_plain] It felt way too... hip and trendy.

By GoT do you mean you're watching the show or reading A Song of Ice and Fire? Or both? Either way, yes, they will probably take you a while, unless you have a lot of time to read and you're a fast reader. :)

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Master_Jaina, what's Mageworlds about, and who's it by? I'm always looking for good fantasy book recs. Percy Jackson is great! I haven't read the sequel series or the spin-off about the Egyptians; I want to wait until they're all out. It was bad enough waiting the week it took the library to get some of the Percy Jackson books :p

The movie was meh. I didn't love it, but I didn't really hate it.

Idri, get your butt to Games and play some! :p (And that goes for the rest of you. If you play, you can blind me :p )

24. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm keeping an eye on Games, so far all of my usual games seem to be in progress or they have disappeared. :p

Or hold another mods' writing challenge with the option of winning colours. :p

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    We can rectify that [face_devil]

And that could happen as well :p